Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: KTM 640 airbox replacement  (Read 292 times)

Offline Panjo

• In Exile
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Getting ready for the Adventure!
KTM 640 airbox replacement
« on: August 24, 2010, 11:17:38 am »

Hello all, if any ATM'rs can help me i'd appreciate it.

I have a KTM 640 enduro. 2005. Now the previouse owner went and Cut a big hole out of the top of the airbox, I would assume for more breathing. But I'd like to get it back to standard as the original has a snorkel on top and currently, if I go river crossing over any fairly high level of water, then im screwed cos it would be a bit like flushing a toilet.

Below is a picture of a 2nd hand KTM DUKE LC4 640 AIRBOX AIR BOX 2004 as advertised on Ebay   

From what I can recall, this looks like it could be a match, but I am nowhere near my bike right now, but if any of you kind people can take a look at the pic and probably compare this picture to what's lying underneath your 640 seat and give me a yay or nay I would appreciate it

Thanks

KTM 990 Adventure ABS
BMW 1150 GSA "DAS PEEG"
Vespa 150 PX -Sold
KTM 950 Adventure S  - Dark Knight -Sold
KTM 640-e -Sold Klr 650 -Sold kle 500 -Sold BMW C1-200 Exec -Sold BMW C1-125 - Sold

Offline domstes

Re: KTM 640 airbox replacement
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2010, 01:45:29 pm »
You might try the 640 Adv thread on advrider.com. It is under the thumpers section.

Offline Panjo

• In Exile
  • Getting ready for the Adventure!
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2010, 10:32:57 am »
Actually, took all the covers off last night and I can see it's different. Any body know of an Adventure or Enduro being scrapped somewhere?
KTM 990 Adventure ABS
BMW 1150 GSA "DAS PEEG"
Vespa 150 PX -Sold
KTM 950 Adventure S  - Dark Knight -Sold
KTM 640-e -Sold Klr 650 -Sold kle 500 -Sold BMW C1-200 Exec -Sold BMW C1-125 - Sold

Offline Rufus115

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2010, 04:49:56 pm »
Panjo, I have a 640 Duke, which has the airbox as shown in your photo.

Go to bikebandit.com, look up your year model Adv and it will show you the full parts drawing, then compare the Duke to that. To the best of my knowledge, the airboxes are the same....the only reason it would be different is for the subframe. the Adv has a stronger sub-frame (I know this cos I broke my Dukes sub-frame).

The airbox mod is quite common from what i read. In fact, I removed my lid and made a custom screen for it but it broke the screen as it was too fine.
In all honesty, if you have water as high as the top of the airbox, you will flood the motor no matter what the lid looks like.
"To live, you gotta lose some sleep"