First long ride

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adventurer

Gentleman Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 1290 Super Adventure
This weekend, organized by Bla Bla, was Marina?s first long run on her newly acquired 650 GS, the group consisted of Bla Bla-1200 GS, Marina-650 GS, HC-1200 GS, myself-1150GSA with Cherry as pillion, Peaches-1200 GS, Pierre-1000 Aprilia Caponord and wife Arista as pillion, Pierre and Arista are Bla Bla?s ?heavy? and sister-in-law.

Marina and her 650 GS.
Marinaandher650GS.jpg

Middleburg Wimpy
MiddleburgWimpy.jpg

My accomplished pillion
MeandKaylee.jpg

We met in Middleburg, had a quick breakfast, then left for Lydenburg via Roosenekaal and Steencampsberg Pass; we stopped in Sabie at Petena?s for a pancake, the best in ET.

A quick blast down to Hazieview then on to Graskop, where we booked in at the Berlyn Peacock Tavern, a place where you truly take a step back in time, the d�©cor has to be seen to be believed, a mixture of Victorian and Tuscan style, www.peacocktavern.co.za, our host, Louis, welcomed us and made us feel right at home.

Bikes parked.
Bikesparked.jpg

We offloaded our luggage and took off for some dirt roads, now quite tired of tar. The scenery in and around Graskop, Sabie forests and Hazieview is always refreshing.

God?s Window
Godswindow.jpg

Sabie Forests
Viewfromdirtroad.jpg

Forest
Forest.jpg

Cherry and my bike
Kayleebike.jpg

3 Bikes on dirt road
3bikes.jpg

Berlin Falls and Bla Bla?s bike
Berlinfallsandbike.jpg

Forum Banner
Banner.jpg

Getting back out.
Uphill.jpg

Back to the Tavern for some liquid refreshment, lots of laughter around the dinner table, Marina had successfully completed her longest distance in one day, quite tired, but a wonderful day in the saddle.
Bar.
Thebar.jpg

Green Room
Greenroom.jpg

Sunday morning, raining, we left for home after a scrumptious breakfast, Loius not only runs a very ?different? B&B, but is a brilliant chef.
3 Rondavels.
3Rondavels.jpg

Rear view
Rearview.jpg

Blydepoort Dam.
Dam.jpg

We returned home via Ohrigstad, stopping at the 3 Rondavels, via Lydenburg, Grobblersdal, Marble Hall, Cullinan and then home, a long way around, but who needs to return via the shortest route?

Our trip was mostly tar roads, but we need to do tar now and then to appreciate why we prefer to ride dirt roads, Marina earned her ?badge? this weekend, with Cherry now becoming quite an accomplished long distance pillion, our weekend distance was just over 1200 km. Our group dynamic was awesome, it was the first time I had ridden with HC, and hopefully there will be more, although Marina was the ?rookie? with the smallest bike, we never waited for anyone, truly a fantastic weekend.