Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: a little bit of gravel - nam/bots style [VIDEOS FINALLY ADDED]  (Read 2848 times)

Offline funacide

• Administrator
  • Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
    • Mediro Business Service Management
Re: a little bit of gravel - nam/bots style
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2010, 01:10:58 pm »
Awesome guys keep it coming please.
KTM 1190 ADV R

Offline Lem

« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2010, 02:24:41 pm »
ja nee, klink na n lekker ene. kannie wag vir die res nie
Faith is not knowing what the future holds, it's knowing who holds the future

Offline Wolweseun

• Forum Vendor
  • Vendors
  • Bike: Honda XR650R
  • VannieBaai
    • Bikes n Bits
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2010, 02:52:30 pm »
 :peepwall:
"Life is like a penis - simple, relaxed and hanging free...

it's women who make it hard"

www.bikesnbits.co.za

Offline Huggels

• The Friendly
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Be a man what counts
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2010, 02:58:13 pm »
 O0

Offline rubiblue

« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2010, 04:12:56 pm »
Day 2

After willing to change our route slightly and heading to see the infamous "Kubu Island", we got up quite early and killed the first 220kms to Lethakane. It was without incident, EXCEPT, Henri propped his bike up on the centre stand. I saw the one leg cave in and initially thought it was just thick sand he placed his bike on. On closer inspection we noticed the one leg had broken off, after Henri's modifications and extra welding to the stand. Granted he said he had not welded in a while. We took the stand off as it was now very lob sided and would have caused further issues.

After the removal work we continued to Lethakane, filled up and then ended up in the dirt. We could not find the route that was suggested the previous night so we stuck to our original plans and followed the vet fence towards Gweta. About 60kms in we decided to cut through the vet fence and head toward "Kubu". We got lost a few times and had to back track. The going was quite slow; with thick sand and a few deadly thorn bushes we managed about 20 or 30 kilometres in towards Kubu, at a rather slow rate, dodging the thorn trees and fighting the sand. My handgaurds were well tested, without them you looking for trouble.

We then had to make a decision, we knew fuel was going to be an issue and it was already running toward afternoon. We decided to head back on the same road to the vet fence and continue toward Gweta. The vet vence road is very good, gravel, mixed with rocky patches, mixed with loose sand.

After the next 50kms, on what I call fesh fesh patches (the dust was horrendous, for Henri not for me,  :biggrin: ), we finally reached the Pan. Dammit, it is amazing. We gunned along the pans, taking photos and admiring the views. We saw several hundred Zebra littered on the jeep tracks after the pans. We passed a couple of vehicles taking the same tracks. We continued on towards Gweta.

SGB had mentioned thick, but ridable sand 7 kilo's just before Gweta, so we were prepared and slowly counted the kilometres before the thick sand was supposed to start. It started on the money.

I tell you one thing, I come from a motocross background, and being brought up on Rover MX track I was not really intimidated about the sand. IT IS COMPLETELY different on a heavyish DS bike, loaded with myself and 35kg of kit on the back. Good thing I moved my rear bag parallel to the bike, the pendulum effect of a perpendicular heavy bag when going through sand is rather interesting. It is quite a fight through the sand, arm pump is not far off during those 7 kms. We did deflate tyres before hand, which made it easier, however I feel the heidies sidewall is very rigid and even at 1.4 bar, the rear deflation hardly fattened the tyre width. I was not comfortable going less for fear of pinched tubes and ripped valves. Henri must have had a good laugh, I believe he got some good video footage and me weaving from left to right, and taking 2 tumbles, luckily at slow speed. I was a little concerned about my still weak left knee, but all was good. It was fun though, tricky, but fun. I think I need more sand time on the bike. After getting to Gweta we re-inflated our rubber.

We were warned the night before that our intended accommodation, Gweta lodge, was pretty crap, so we decided to head to Planet Boabab, and I am very glad we did, very cool place, quite a few tourists. We had a couple of beers that night. Henri snores, note to self, ear plugs from here on in.

Our Little tree outside the room

« Last Edit: September 10, 2010, 08:53:43 am by rubiblue »
Past; PW50,PW80,YZ80,KX80,KDX200,CR125,KX125,KTM250SX,KTM250XCW, F800GS
Current; KTM790R, KTM300TPI, KTM450XCW

Offline Heimer

• Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Kan nie ALZ onthou nie
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2010, 05:32:07 pm »
Ek laaik

Gooi nog broeder - ons wil lees

Matriek getuigskrif 1979: ........... is 'n vriendelike seun met volop selfvertroue. Hy tree soms vreemd op. Die skool se beste wense vergesel hom.

Offline Usurper

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2010, 08:23:34 pm »
Well, apparently my welding skills was not as good as I thought.... I extended a standard GS center stand and modified it to prevent interference with the back tyre.. but the welding thing is not like riding a bicycle...

After some awesome "tweespoor" riding we hit the pans:

« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 08:30:11 pm by Usurper »
Never underestimate the stopping power of a tree!

Offline rubiblue

« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2010, 08:27:49 pm »
Hey dude, where the vids? feel like a laugh...

Offline XRV-Boy

• Bike: Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
  • "Die Swart Gevaar"
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2010, 09:21:05 pm »
Usurper watse tires is daai op jou bike? love the RR sofar
Look matey, I know a dead parrot when I see one, and Im looking at one right now!

Offline Gat Slag

• Bike: BMW F800GS
« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2010, 09:25:03 pm »
 :happy1:

Offline Usurper

« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2010, 09:51:10 pm »

Wag vir dag 4, die tire drama kom nog, dan sal ek jou al die details gee... DOT rated; MY ASS!!!!!

Offline rubiblue

« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2010, 08:02:35 am »
 :laughing4:

Offline Usurper

« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2010, 08:31:58 am »
I am struggling with uploading the video  :-\

Offline rubiblue

« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2010, 08:58:18 am »
dump it on youtube and then paste the url link in the thread, should work.

Offline Usurper

« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2010, 11:27:21 am »
No, Picasa..., Jou Tjoep..., all still giving me errors.... will try again tonight.  >:(
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 11:29:38 am by Usurper »

Offline Juls06

« Reply #35 on: September 01, 2010, 12:03:51 pm »
Awesome RR so far, keep it coming :thumleft:

Offline popipants

• Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
  • I came; I saw; I slept
« Reply #36 on: September 01, 2010, 12:51:24 pm »
Wow, that brings back memories!
I've been on the Jameson diet for a week, so far I've lost 7 days....

Offline XRV-Boy

• "Die Swart Gevaar"
« Reply #37 on: September 01, 2010, 02:04:43 pm »

Wag vir dag 4, die tire drama kom nog, dan sal ek jou al die details gee... DOT rated; MY ASS!!!!!

Neem an hulle is dan K@K hmm want hulle lyk amazing maar ja apearances can be decieving :thumleft:
Look matey, I know a dead parrot when I see one, and Im looking at one right now!

Offline rubiblue

« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2010, 02:27:07 pm »
Day 3

Today was mostly tar, but we wanted to get as far north again before heading down the Caprivi. We had a good breakfast and hit the road to Nata for a refuel.

I found a new way to prevent ironbutt for myself. By placing the rear foot pegs down and then alternating between normal sitting position, sitting normally with feet on rear foot pegs, and my favourite, standing on rear foot pegs. Whilst standing it forces the body to angle, so regardless of speed to can remain standing for several kilometres without feeling like you are constantly hanging on. This process worked extremely well to prevent ironass.

We made good speed to Nata where we refuelled. Then we continued to Kasane along the main road, currently being redone. We found a nice little side road which looked sandy along the main road and did a few minutes on it. Fully inflated front (2.6 bar) in thick sand is quite interesting.

We made our way to Kasane, filled up, and then went looking for a lunch venue. We found a very cool hotel, where we sat on the deck, chowed lunch and watched what the Chobe River had to offer. Only now did it hit us that we were finally on holiday and experiencing an awesome trip.

By now it was rather warm, my ASSUALT jacket is simply not suited to these conditions and I was paying the price, by what seemed like losing several litres per hour via sweating. Well it felt like it.

After Kasane we went through the Chobe National Park, where we were introduced to our first of many anti foot-and-mouth chemical sprays. Soon after we entered the park, quite a few cars suddenly stopped in front of me. In the interest of keeping windflow ventilation to a maximum I began to overtake them. I suddenly realised some large beasts were attempting the cross the road. I smashed hard front brakes, whipped out the camera and took some pics before heading off feeling like a plonker.

Another herd was crossing about 2 kilometres later, got a few action shots as well. Henri was quite far back and had trouble passing them, whenever he tried to creap forward so did they. I think he eventually gassed it passed, making lots of noise with that pipe and seemed to upset the beasts. On bikes one is completely insignificant next to these huge beasts, very humbling...

We finally got to Ngoma border post, after sorting passports we were once again on our way. Working here could be lekker with such unreal views from the border post itself.

Once in Katimo Mulilo we had to source transfer documents and pay the transfer road fees and then went to find our place for the night. Zambezi lodge it was, was very quiet, after parking the bikes we woke up the neighbourhood when my bike fell over and the hooter engaged (me thinking it was Henri and asking him what the hell he was doing, me a plonker). We had a swim, then went and sat on the deck drank beer , watched the sun set and hippos play around in the Zambezi River.

Henri observing the local river swimming rules, we adhered.

Stats:
« Last Edit: September 10, 2010, 09:06:59 am by rubiblue »

Offline XRV-Boy

• "Die Swart Gevaar"
« Reply #39 on: September 01, 2010, 04:46:43 pm »
NOG!!! where did you do that 163kms? on dirt? >:D