Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: a little bit of gravel - nam/bots style [VIDEOS FINALLY ADDED]  (Read 2851 times)

Offline rubiblue

Re: a little bit of gravel - nam/bots style
« Reply #60 on: September 03, 2010, 06:15:43 pm »
Het julle saam in daai dubbelbed geslaap in die Kalahari Arms Hotel?  :3some:
No, that specific bed was all mine  :D
However we did share a few double beds... :imaposer:

Ek vra maar net.  :peepwall: Jy het so 'n spesiale foto daarvan geneem.  ;D

Bwahahahaha, nee fok boetie, maar dik lyk so
Past; PW50,PW80,YZ80,KX80,KDX200,CR125,KX125,KTM250SX,KTM250XCW, F800GS
Current; KTM790R, KTM300TPI, KTM450XCW

Offline Heimer

• Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Kan nie ALZ onthou nie
« Reply #61 on: September 03, 2010, 06:19:20 pm »
No, that specific bed was all mine  :D
However we did share a few double beds... :imaposer:

Ek vra maar net.  :peepwall: Jy het so 'n spesiale foto daarvan geneem.  ;D

Bwahahahaha, nee fok boetie, maar dik lyk so

Ja inderdaad. So, so, so...uhm soos 'n wittebroodsbed.

:imaposer: :imaposer:

Matriek getuigskrif 1979: ........... is 'n vriendelike seun met volop selfvertroue. Hy tree soms vreemd op. Die skool se beste wense vergesel hom.

Offline Usurper

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #62 on: September 03, 2010, 09:14:48 pm »

Het jy nie die chainlube op die bed kassie gesien nie  :pot:
Never underestimate the stopping power of a tree!

Offline Usurper

« Reply #63 on: September 03, 2010, 09:21:01 pm »
Day 5 Photos:

Getting some chow at Sehitwa:

the most tasty R12-00 plate of food I ever had!

« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 09:24:17 pm by Usurper »

Offline rubiblue

« Reply #64 on: September 04, 2010, 01:25:23 pm »
Day 6

I was really looking forward to the gravel roads of Namibia. In my usual inquisitive self I loaded the questions on. Like Highway gravel? Like gravel rutted from constant traffic? How rocky? I couldn’t help myself in the quest for our eagerly awaited Gravel Heaven.

We hit the road quite early, we were the first into the breakfast buffet, and I think the first to leave the Hotel. We filled up at the Total and as we were refilling our hydro-packs, when an elderly guy came over and started chatting to us. He was adamant that we must follow a gravel road toward Gobabis, after checking the planned route we realised it was in fact the road he was talking about, awesome...

The first 90 kms was okay, typical of our Gauteng roads. Decent roads but a bit bumpy from traffic. We opened some gate into a Nature Reserve and followed the road until coming out at the main tar road to the Border post. 2 young “heavy” looking kudus gave me a little scare, and many little bushbuck dodged under our paths.

We hit it hard toward the border on the tar section, went through customs and into Nam. We had to get to Windhoek just after lunch to get Henri to the BMW, where Henri had secured new rubber for his front.

Had a quick Wimpy and feeling like we were back into something like SA. People + Petrol Cards.

Just outside Gobabis we hit the gravel again. The gravel here is very cool, a much darker colour with white intermittent sections. We headed towards Steins.... or something. Something German, Henri can supply names.

Rolling fast sections with sander sections, with EVERYTHING that’s makes a great gravel outride. We had a “kind of dice”, but nothing serious (he was 1km or so behind and we were keeping that gap, sitting between 130 and 150 on the slow rolling hills), for 100kms or so. IT WAS AWESOME. I love this place!

Just before we got to Windhoek, Henri hopped in the front, and was like a homesick mole, we klapped it along the tar pass into Windhoek and traffic. We picked us Henri’s sister’s house keys from Ian, her husband, and went to their house too offload our shit. Henri led us into town where we found BMW, managed to get the tyre fitted, chatted and then headed to Henri’s mate, I now cannot remember his name, his nickname was “Boesman”, classic dude. Had a couple of beers and managed to get the stand welded, looked like a good job, but i don’t know welding, neither does Henri we were soon to find out again...

We got back to our accommodation after it was dark, got showered, Henri was fiddling with the Camera and their PC and i heard laughing so I am sure that included me dumping it. Where the hell are the videos bud? Went to Joes for awesome meat again, few draughts and then home. We got talking about the Sand ahead in Sossusvlei...

« Last Edit: September 10, 2010, 09:37:03 am by rubiblue »

Offline Sithe

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • gewig versplasing
« Reply #65 on: September 04, 2010, 10:09:52 pm »
Excellent ... Ta !!
I operate at a level supreme to the devil

Offline rubiblue

« Reply #66 on: September 05, 2010, 01:50:32 pm »
Day 7

On our way to Swakopmund

Henri wanted to show me the route they race on bikes between Windhoek and Swakop. The Desert Dash, gives mountain bikers 24 hours to race 340kms towards the coast. On a bicycle? You okes are mad, give me petrol and a thunder between my legs and I am a happy boy.

Just outside the other end of Windhoek lie magical paths. The roads had been graded recently, so smooth fastness lay ahead. We had oats with Henri’s sister and husband and then got a relatively late start compared to generally early departure times. Said our byes, took an out road after refuelling and then sought gravel. Again amazing rolling gravel roads; went through an awesome river valley and pass, Ou-Hoogte pass. Brilliant road to get to Swakopmund, I think it was less travelled.

Smoke Break.

We eventually hit a skew T-Junction and then turned south west toward Swakop. The best conditioned gravel roads I have ever ridden on, winding though the nature protected areas. Easily sit at 150 on these roads, but lots of dust when trying to overtake cars/trucks. We could feel the temperature slowly drop, around 12 degrees in about 100kms. Hit some “dust free sections”, hugging what looked like a pipeline of some sorts.

When we got to Swakop, we quickly tried to find our accommodation, but we pretty much saw the whole of Swakop whilst doing so. Unpacked, then went to lunch and a few beers. As we were leaving the B&B, I was waiting for Henri and looking in my rear view mirrors. Not sure what he did but the centre stand gave way, breaking again. Henri threw the loose piece on the ground and we left. I just laughed, I think he saw me and just shook his head. However his re-weld had held, and now it had broken from the earlier modification, thus I retract my “Henri was no good at welding” comment.

The best chicken snitchzel I have ever had, truly these Germans can cook. After Lunch we went back to our place and chilled for around 2 hours, then went for pre supper beers, sitting on the Pier. The weather was nippy, but we have a heater nearby, it was very therapeutic.

We had tried to organise the Brauhaus, but read it had burnt down, so we went to Kooki’s Pub. Had a great chow, check the size of this eisbein, must have been 800grams of pure pig:

On our walk home, we passed the new Brauhaus, damn, oh well we were both full of food and beer so ducked home. Tomorrow had the potential to be a long day, and of course Sossusvlei

« Last Edit: September 10, 2010, 02:22:55 pm by rubiblue »

Offline Minora

• Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #67 on: September 06, 2010, 07:37:40 am »
Ai, julle maak dat ek Nam baie mis  :'( :'(

Ek geniet die report baie, DANKIE
Ek weet nie wat hier aangaan nie, maar dis 'n moerse sukses!!!

Offline rubiblue

« Reply #68 on: September 06, 2010, 03:43:44 pm »
Day 8

We were fed and ready to hit some more gravel by 7.20am (Namibian time). It was a little chilly in the morning, think it was sitting around 15 or so degrees. We left, heading south toward Walvis Bay.

I really wanted to see the harbour setup and the point, however it was very foggy, when we got into Walvis it was even worse, so we decided to skip it and get to Sossusvlei as early as possible.

Made the stop at Dune 7, I really thought it was bigger. Don’t get me wrong, it is huge, but I have seen plenty of sand dunes growing up at the coast in the Eastern Cape. Don’t think we were allowed to traverse it, so we did not, took a few pictures and then headed away from the tar and towards more gravel.

At our next stop, which was about 80kms from Walvis, we met up with 2 other adventurers, Wayne and ... (names are lost in my brain). Both we riding BM adventures, fully loaded, they had opted for the more “camping” style approach. They we going on and on about this 100kms sand stretch that had left them wanting for home, maybe even considering selling the bikes when they got back (that’s how bad it sounded). Anyway we decided to do the road ahead together towards Solataire and ultimately Sesriem.

We stopped a bit more whilst riding with them, not sure if it was because the group dynamics had changed, but it took us quite a while to get to Solataire. The views were spectacular, and the roads mixed between great gravel and more bumpy/sandy gravel (the well worn road conditions). It was good to have other guys to talk to, where we had been, where we come from, mods on the bikes, blah blah blah. Different conversations compared to us on our own.

We left them after a quick apple pie in Solataire (I was told that I had to eat one, as this is what is done at Solataire – It was really good.). We were surrounded by little birds, trying to get their sugar fix, we obliged and fed them plenty to make it even worse.

We refilled and headed toward our place for the evening, after spending a little time finding out where it is, we quickly unpacked and then headed back towards Sesriem and ultimately Sossusvlei. We filled out the necessary forms, paid the parks fees and then smashed ourselves towards the vlei itself. The little tar road to the vlei was lekker, about 60kms or so, but it went by so fast. Huge dunes and rock formations on either side, it was a completely surreal experience. Add buck and animals littered all around.

When we got to the end, we were told no bikes allowed into the sand, WTF did nobody mention this, it could have eliminated quite a few discussions over the past few days. Anyway, we were a little relieved as we had no idea what lay ahead.

The guys were leaving, as it was around 5.15PM, so they one guy said, “here are my keys for the landie, take it (with a few cold beers) into the dunes, keep left and then place my key under the drivers mat when you leave”. How awesome, finally after racing to get here we could simply chill and do something very chilled.

Didn’t take long for the first beer to open, and so we continued our journey no longer on 2 wheels, but on 4 heavily deflated large sand tires. I think it would have actually been quite easy on the bikes, there were one of 2 longer sections of sand, but at least there were harder patches in between. Anyway this was much better, no sweating or fighting handlebars, cold beer and no rush.

The Vlei was a little bit of a downer for me. Two reasons, firstly it is not what I thought it was or looked like, secondly it meant we were heading further south on our trip and the realisation that it was coming to an end (i put number 2 right at the back of my head and decided to deal with it when I was actually back home). The first point, please do not get me wrong, it is completely spectacular, however from photos I had been, it hardly resembled this. Enough of my whining. It is very pretty there, recommend it to anyone that has not been. Huge sand dunes with white crusty vlei’s between them, with the odd dead tree in the middle of the vlei.

We finished our allocated beers, took the landie back to its home and then killed the rest of the ride to our Lodge. By the time we got to the Lodge it was nice and dark. These landscapes are very hard to get over, it all looks pretty similar, however completely different, that makes no sense, however if you have been you will know what I am talking about. We stayed at desert Homestead, was very cool place, again we hit a few beers and had some awesome chow.

Had a very early night, we were quite tired and sunburnt.

« Last Edit: September 10, 2010, 02:36:41 pm by rubiblue »

Offline Usurper

« Reply #69 on: September 06, 2010, 07:54:43 pm »
Here are my photos for day 7:

Offline Usurper

« Reply #70 on: September 06, 2010, 08:22:51 pm »
Day 8:

Offline Lootch67

• Bike: Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
« Reply #71 on: September 07, 2010, 01:13:44 am »
Made the stop at Dune 7, I really thought it was bigger.

Erm, this is only the beginning of Dune 7. It goes up quite a bit more to the back and right of this picture.

Love the report. Keep it coming.
98 Black AT & the wheel from a 04 KLR 650.

Offline rubiblue

« Reply #72 on: September 07, 2010, 09:05:11 am »
Correct, however my small SONY DSC don't have a wide angle lense, but thanks for pointing that out for people who have not been there,  :thumleft:

Offline Brink

• Bike: Confederate (all models)
  • Knob
« Reply #73 on: September 07, 2010, 09:55:34 am »
Sossusvlei itself is a ancient river area but not spectacular by itself alone.

Dooievlei is completely surrounded by dunes and full of petrified trees with an impressive surround of dunes which "contains" the vlei - see -24.75871, 15.29266 on Google Maps.
I know nothing but I can not prove it,,,,,

Offline rubiblue

« Reply #74 on: September 07, 2010, 06:29:48 pm »

Offline rubiblue

« Reply #75 on: September 07, 2010, 06:31:53 pm »
sorry just going to the next page, already too many images and takes forever to load even on my fast 4mb adsl line.

Offline rubiblue

« Reply #76 on: September 07, 2010, 06:33:55 pm »

Offline rubiblue

« Reply #77 on: September 07, 2010, 06:34:13 pm »