Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: a little bit of gravel - nam/bots style [VIDEOS FINALLY ADDED]  (Read 2889 times)

Offline rubiblue

Re: a little bit of gravel - nam/bots style
« Reply #80 on: September 07, 2010, 07:26:28 pm »
Day 9

After a good night’s sleep (these yellow ear plugs work the bomb), and an early breakfast we had altered our route slightly instead of going all the way to Sesriem and then toward Dusiwib. We headed south after turning out of the lodge gates.

We made our way, rather quickly, to Dusiwib Castle. Here we took a few photos, had a smoke and then hit the road again, our destination was Ai-Ais. We managed to find fuel along the way, not realising it was a Namibian Public holiday, an almost very costly oversight. Everything was closed except for petrol stations. Once again the roads were pretty magnificent.

Before long we had already covered 400kms and had crossed the Fish River and could see the start of the canyon in the distance. Henri had planned this route and had marked where we could go and view the canyon. After about 20kms after a t-junction I saw Henri trying to pull up next to me, I thought he wanted to have a “dice” or was tired of riding in the dust (I had already done most of today on dust duty), so pinned it. He eventually was adamant that he wanted to pass, so I let him, he said we had missed the turnoff to the view point. I mentioned the route ahead looked like a purposeful reroute to a view point so we continued on.

I went past the proposed turn-off, purely because the road did not exist, so we double backed and found a small jeep track that headed down into the canyon. Every 200 metres the sand got twice as bad, so after about 2 kilometres we decided to turn back – this road seemed like an emergency escape route out of the canyon if needed. We were pushed for fuel and had no idea when this road would end and even giv us a decent view.

On my way out, I put my left leg out, and then felt a very nasty tweak in my recently repaired ACL ligament knee. I didn’t bother stopping, fearing the worst, when we finally made it out, I stopped and checked the knee movement. I think those asterisk braces saved my bacon, it was sore and uncomfortable, but certainly not even 10% of the pain I had when I originally tore it.

The road/pass into Ai-Ais was also very nice, Henri set the pace and before I knew we had arrived. We filled up and went to find our room. It was pretty warm there so we went for a dip, then settled in for a few beers at the pub, had a good chow and chat. Henri had a hot spa after dinner. I unfortunately get severe headaches in warm water, can’t explain it, just happens.

We were pretty tired so went to bed around 9PM.

Past; PW50,PW80,YZ80,KX80,KDX200,CR125,KX125,KTM250SX,KTM250XCW, F800GS
Current; KTM790R, KTM300TPI, KTM450XCW

Offline Usurper

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #81 on: September 07, 2010, 08:50:36 pm »
My Day 9 Photos:

Awesome day of high speed gravel!

Refueling at helmeringhausen:

The bridge across the Fish River:

Close to Ai-Ais:

« Last Edit: September 07, 2010, 09:05:22 pm by Usurper »
Never underestimate the stopping power of a tree!

Offline Johnnie Bok

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Caledonner
« Reply #82 on: September 08, 2010, 06:45:30 am »
Epic Journey!
Hard work always beats talent, unless talent works.

Offline Tenrider

• Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • 2010 Tenere XT660Z
« Reply #83 on: September 08, 2010, 07:34:24 am »
Epic Journey!

Absolutely, very jealous!!!! :drif: :drif: Some great pictures there Usurper.  :3some:That desert is a magical place and we go there every year.  :ricky: Keep it coming.  :thumleft:
"Some times I like to ride and think, and some times I just ride!"
"Beware of the power of stupid people in large groups!"
"Be like a postage stamp. Stick to it until you get there" Bob Proctor.
"The strength of a nation derives from the integrity of the home" Confucius.
 Mods/bling: Lowered by 2cm, Center stand, Zeta XC hand guards, Full crash bars, Spot lights, 12V socket (Hella), Rams mount for I-phone, HYDE skid plate, Hyde headlight lens protector,aerotech wind deflector.

Offline rubiblue

« Reply #84 on: September 08, 2010, 03:55:49 pm »
Day 10

We once again enjoyed the short pass out of Ai-Ais, this time watching our Fuel consumption, we had no idea where we would next get fuel, thinking it may be as far as the border, and with limited cash we had on us, our bikes we as full as the wallet allowed us, Ai-Ais do not accept cards of any kind for fuel.

Not realising Karasburg was not very far away from Ai-Ais, we ended up filling there and then heading towards vioolsdrif border post and our home South Africa. Once again we made excellent time on these gravel roads, a few near misses with herds of goats and we made it you our border crossing with no hiccups. Henri’s number plate had broken a bit pre this ride, and at some point over the previous days he disc holder had broken off. The SA border guys are pretty jacked up, after showing them his papers, they came back and told him when his bike was due for a renewal, suggested alternate disc fixing techniques and let us on our way.

The Border Crossing

Now we knew we were in South Africa again, the gravel roads turned to complete crap. It is amazing what you get used to when doing Namibia, and we had completely forgotten the luxury that the Namibians have offered us in terms of roads. Bumpy, long sandy, bumpy, bumpy bumpy roads, I think you get my point.

We made it to Augrabies in a short while further, found our rest place for the evening, unpacked and went and took some photos of the Augrabies falls. They are pretty spectacular, I can only imagine during rainy season how much power must push through here. I will definitely come back after a good rain to see it for myself.

We met 2 guys from Pretoria, both on KTM 990’s that had come for some challenge nearby the following day, we had a few beers, talked rubbish and then saw them off. We continued to stuck in at the bar and managed to really do some beer damage. After a good meal (had a chicken schnitzel again, however nowhere close to what the germans can organise). Tomorrow was going to be a long day, 700+ kms on gravel, so we got an early night again.

« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 03:59:12 pm by rubiblue »

Offline Usurper

« Reply #85 on: September 08, 2010, 05:45:50 pm »

My Day 10 photos:

The grass making a sand angle in the wind!

It was the day after payday in Karasburg so the town was busy and festive:

The Dutch tilt was more a product of almost moerring into the railing on the bridge while riding and taking a photo:

Nous!!: 1 Church, 1 Building and 4 small houses.... in the middle of nowhere!!!

Augrabies:

Offline rubiblue

« Reply #86 on: September 08, 2010, 05:56:34 pm »
VIDEO TIME

Day 2, Just before Gweta, rubiblue takes a tumble.  :ricky:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/d7BX3fxn5zQ" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/d7BX3fxn5zQ</a>
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 06:03:36 pm by rubiblue »

Offline rubiblue

« Reply #87 on: September 08, 2010, 06:22:08 pm »
Day 2

After rerouting ourselves we headed from the planned vet Fence toward Kubu Island in the Pans

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/mtxFBc6PJmk" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/mtxFBc6PJmk</a>

Offline rubiblue

Re: a little bit of gravel - nam/bots style [VIDEOS FINALLY ADDED]
« Reply #88 on: September 08, 2010, 06:31:32 pm »
Day 2

More footage between vet Fence and our temporary excursion toward Kubu Island

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/6oYlnZ-iGKs" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/6oYlnZ-iGKs</a>

Offline rubiblue

« Reply #89 on: September 08, 2010, 06:33:07 pm »
Hopefully there will be more footage soon, Henri did take quite a bit, just takes a while to get it uploaded here.

Thanks Henri for the stuff so far.

Offline rubiblue

« Reply #90 on: September 09, 2010, 06:36:59 pm »
Day 11

We wanted to get as far toward Joburg as possible making our last day nice and short, giving us an almost full day on Sunday at home. We decided to reach Bloemhof, leaving a mere 300 kms for the final day. Henri had secured us accommodation at the Bloemhof Nature Reserve, think it was R100 each, flipping cheap.

Anyway, he had an early start once again from Augrabies, skipping breakfast and deciding to hit a Wimpy along the road. This we found in Upington, where we had our first wimpy since Gobabis. Yum, can always rely on wimpy to give the exact same meal. This section we did on Tar, until Grobelaarshoop where we filled up. From here it would be gravel all the way to Bloemhof.

It was a long day, I cannot remember much from it, the roads were quite terrible to begin with, thereafter they improved, but nothing like Namibia’s heavenly roads. We went through a small pass like thing, which was a nice change to road conditions, rocky uphill, but nothing crazy.

Oh wait I forgot. About halfway through the day, just after Postmansburg, I got into the front and decided to cull the next 100 kilometres as a rapid pace. During one dip in the road, I saw a netball size rock lying in the road. It was bumpy in the general area, but I thought to myself, whatever you do, avoid that rock. Not quite sure what happened, but front bounced towards the rock (i was no longer looking at it so the “you go where you look” theory no longer applies. The new front end soaked it up beautifully. After hitting it, a white wet cloud covered me, weird, not sure what it was but was definitely impact related, pulled over a kilometre later for a smoke break and noticed this:

Ouch, but I really believe with the standard front end I would be writing this from a hospital bed, no jokes, it was a big rock.

When we got to Bloemhof around 3pm, we stopped for fuel and got some Steers. While we were munching we thought a braai would be a fantastic was to close the trip out, however we had no idea what facilities lay ahead for us. We then went to check them out, found out it had everything except food, so we picked up some wors,rolls and 12 beers and then headed back to the reserve. It was a nice end to our trip. We decided that evening to hit the tar all the way home tomorrow, and not on our planned route to maximise wife time after the long roads that fell behind us over the past 12 days.

Offline rubiblue

« Reply #91 on: September 09, 2010, 06:39:02 pm »
Day 12

Not much to report, was very un-eventful. Didn’t even take a picture on the road. Thanks Henri for joining me on this adventure, will do a similar trip with you anytime. To all the comments on this RR, thanks, this takes a lot of work to put down, comments appreciated.

It was good to be home, however the sinking feeling that it was over hit now. Responsibility starts tomorrow morning only, so pushed it out of my mind.

Offline Usurper

« Reply #92 on: September 09, 2010, 07:12:50 pm »
A couple more day 11 photos:

Outside Pampier Stad

A pan close to Bloemhof:

After almost 6500 Kms I was really impressed with the Dunlop 606:
« Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 07:15:49 pm by Usurper »

Offline SuperDave (RIP)

• RIP 7 Nov 1976 - 10 Mar 2013
« Reply #93 on: September 10, 2010, 08:48:37 am »
Great RR and great pics, thanxs for sharing it!!    :3some:

Great bike Usurper!  I dig the front mudguard as well...!  Not only is it functional but it
looks flippen great as well!!    :thumleft:

Dig the automotive grey as well...is that then sort of a matt finish?

Sorry, but I couldn't see or I missed where the spotlights are situated?

Great stuff!!

« Last Edit: September 10, 2010, 09:38:58 am by SuperDave »
"If you have to think about it, maybe it's not for you." - Advert

BMW F650 Dakar
Yamaha XT 350
 Karoo trip report:  http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=66157.0

Camelman

« Reply #94 on: September 10, 2010, 09:35:37 am »
Excellent RR! Thanks a mil for sharing!!  :thumleft:

Offline Wolweseun

• Forum Vendor
  • Vendors
  • Bike: Honda XR650R
  • VannieBaai
    • Bikes n Bits
« Reply #95 on: September 10, 2010, 10:05:06 am »
Nice

thanks for Sharing  :thumleft:
"Life is like a penis - simple, relaxed and hanging free...

it's women who make it hard"

www.bikesnbits.co.za

Offline odge

• Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
« Reply #96 on: September 10, 2010, 10:18:03 am »
what a legend brother.   :'(

I'm actually little jealous I didn't come! Something I don't usually feel, so thats how good it looks.

Offline steady eddy

• Bike: Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
  • God is good all the time
« Reply #97 on: September 10, 2010, 02:40:37 pm »
Very nice . tks for the vids :thumleft:

Offline Usurper

« Reply #98 on: September 10, 2010, 03:24:48 pm »
Dig the automotive grey as well...is that then sort of a matt finish?

Sorry, but I couldn't see or I missed where the spotlights are situated?

Yip, Grey vinyl, Matt.

The spots are mounted on the upper pipe of the crashbars.

Cheers  :thumleft: