Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Exploring the area for PE's FUN DAY  (Read 750 times)

Offline >>Thump°C

• Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
Exploring the area for PE's FUN DAY
« on: August 30, 2010, 03:34:09 pm »
Did a solo exploration ride on Sunday to check on the condition of paths for this week’s PE fun day.
My Bike is in for dyno tuning as I’ve never been happy with the power.
Turns out it’s been running very rich and rejetting is required after other adjustments have been made to the carb.
Lent my old bike from my son as he has to study for exams. I still love this old bike.
Starting from Linton Grange this is the route I took.

Mapsource

And Google Earth (KMZ file is embedded in word doc attached to bottom of post)

Nice rolling hills here

The path is quite easy with a small amount of this

And some sandy whoops as I followed the river around

All around are hills with rocky climbs and descents.

This is the view of the path from on top of one of them

And the odd pool of water

Then went across the mission rd and entered the other side at the Oval race track.
Went down the valley and up the other side. Very nice and easy on the KLR, but may be a bit much for very large bikes, unlees the skill levels are good. (Very Good?, never ridden bigger than 650 so wouldn’t know)

The hardest is probably the ascent on the other side.

Then I rode along a newly graded road which came to a dead end, then headed towards the power lines on the opposite side of the Gravel R168 (Stanford).

This is where I got a surprise…
Now I know why cowboys hated this stuff.

I rode along the outside for a while after the path disappeared then turned around and found the opening.
This fence crosses at the bottom of the hill climb of the lines and goes all the way to the edge of Kwanobuhle Township. Our days of riding this area are limited.

Rode around Old Ford test track area

Then around back down, followed and made some new tracks and found the KTM spares department

and then ended up at Jagtesvlakte, The sandpit, mudpit training ground.

There’s water again, but the sand is still quite hard. A bit of riding is required to loosen it up again.

Then headed back along a more northerly path through the Bush south of Bethalsdorp.

Even found a short piece of gravel highway

Before heading back to Linton Grange via a few detours to follow some paths to see where they went.

Some nice sandy, muddy tracks to explore next time.

Total of 108km in 4,5hrs.
I love these solo rides in the bush. Lekker peaceful or adventurous, or both, depending on your mood as you ride.

See http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=55247.msg1112515#msg1112515 if you want to join this Saturday.

Boys will be Boys.
And girls are darn thankful for that

forex618

Re: Exploring the area for PE's FUN DAY
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2010, 03:43:15 pm »
 :drif:

Offline navigator

• Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
  • Wurg die kalkoen!
    • http://www.summerhousebb.co.za
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2010, 05:36:03 pm »
Brilliant - those uphills looks severe - can ave rider with 950 (aka me) make it up there?
Beware of life's two great impostors; Victory and Defeat.

Offline >>Thump°C

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2010, 05:59:59 pm »
From the pics I saw of the rally raid, and I heard you ride better than J-dog in his sleep, so..should be no problem
Boys will be Boys.

forex618

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2010, 06:10:00 pm »
From the pics I saw of the rally raid, and I heard you ride better than J-dog in his sleep, so..should be no problem
If Nav was on life support, he'd still ride better than me  >:D

Offline >>Thump°C

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2010, 06:22:24 pm »
Brilliant - those uphills looks severe - can ave rider with 950 (aka me) make it up there?

From Wkipedia FYI

Ave is a Latin word, used by the Romans as a salutation and greeting, meaning "hail". It is the singular imperative form of the verb avēre, which meant "to be well"; thus one could translate it literally as "be well" or "farewell".[1]

The Classical Latin pronunciation of ave was IPA: [ˈaweː]. In Church Latin, it is ideally IPA: [ˈave], and in English, it tends to be pronounced /ˈɑːveɪ/.

The term was notably used to greet the Caesar or other authorities. Suetonius recorded that gladiators before combat addressed Caesar with the words Ave Caesar! Morituri te salutant! ("Hail, Caesar! Those who are about to die salute you!")

The Vulgate version of the Annunciation translates the salute of the angel to Mary, Mother of Jesus as Ave Maria, gratia plena ("Hail Mary, full of grace"). Ave Maria is a Catholic Marian prayer that also has inspired authors of religious music.

Fascist regimes during the 20th century also adopted the greeting. It was used during Nazi Germany in the indirect German translation, heil.

Ties in with J-Dogs comment ne?

By the way J-Dog, how many post do you need before you become J+Dog?
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 06:22:52 pm by >>Thump°C »
Boys will be Boys.

Offline Jman

• Bike: Suzuki XF650 Freewind
  • Ride the freewind like you stole it
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2010, 07:55:16 am »
Looks like the average Kakerlaks vlakte.  And don't worry, I have covered most of that area with my "road oriontated" freewind, and I am very below average on expariance and skill, all you need is a bit of throttle for the uphills, some brake's for the downhills, some balance for the technical parts, and no fear of falling...ok then again if you can ride, there is no need to fall as many times as I have  :mwink:

Offline Jman

• Bike: Suzuki XF650 Freewind
  • Ride the freewind like you stole it
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2010, 07:55:59 am »
Looks like the average Kakerlaks vlakte.  And don't worry, I have covered most of that area with my "road oriontated" freewind, and I am very below average on expariance and skill, all you need is a bit of throttle for the uphills, some brake's for the downhills, some balance for the technical parts, and no fear of falling...ok then again if you can ride, there is no need to fall as many times as I have  :mwink:

Oh yes, and I can't spell, so ons los dit maar daar.

Offline Carlos

• Bike: Yamaha XT660
    • Design
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2010, 02:59:00 pm »
Lekker enjoy Sat..