Exploring the area for PE's FUN DAY

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thump

Race Dog
WD Supporter
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 1190 Adventure
Did a solo exploration ride on Sunday to check on the condition of paths for this week’s PE fun day.
My Bike is in for dyno tuning as I’ve never been happy with the power.
Turns out it’s been running very rich and rejetting is required after other adjustments have been made to the carb.
Lent my old bike from my son as he has to study for exams. I still love this old bike.
Starting from Linton Grange this is the route I took.

Mapsource
exploresun29aug2010.jpg

And Google Earth (KMZ file is embedded in word doc attached to bottom of post)
exploresun29aug2010google.jpg

Nice rolling hills here
new_034.jpg

The path is quite easy with a small amount of this
new_037.jpg

new_036.jpg

And some sandy whoops as I followed the river around
new_038.jpg

All around are hills with rocky climbs and descents.
new_045.jpg

This is the view of the path from on top of one of them
bethalsbush.jpg

And the odd pool of water
new_040.jpg

new_043.jpg

Then went across the mission rd and entered the other side at the Oval race track.
Went down the valley and up the other side. Very nice and easy on the KLR, but may be a bit much for very large bikes, unlees the skill levels are good. (Very Good?, never ridden bigger than 650 so wouldn’t know)

new_047.jpg

The hardest is probably the ascent on the other side.
new_048.jpg

new_049.jpg

new_051.jpg

Then I rode along a newly graded road which came to a dead end, then headed towards the power lines on the opposite side of the Gravel R168 (Stanford).

This is where I got a surprise…
Now I know why cowboys hated this stuff.
new_053.jpg

I rode along the outside for a while after the path disappeared then turned around and found the opening.
This fence crosses at the bottom of the hill climb of the lines and goes all the way to the edge of Kwanobuhle Township. Our days of riding this area are limited.
new_054.jpg

new_056.jpg

new_057.jpg

Rode around Old Ford test track area
new_055.jpg

Then around back down, followed and made some new tracks and found the KTM spares department

new_058.jpg

and then ended up at Jagtesvlakte, The sandpit, mudpit training ground.
jagtesvlaktepan.jpg

There’s water again, but the sand is still quite hard. A bit of riding is required to loosen it up again.

Then headed back along a more northerly path through the Bush south of Bethalsdorp.
new_072.jpg

new_071.jpg

Even found a short piece of gravel highway
new_074.jpg

Before heading back to Linton Grange via a few detours to follow some paths to see where they went.

Some nice sandy, muddy tracks to explore next time.

Total of 108km in 4,5hrs.
I love these solo rides in the bush. Lekker peaceful or adventurous, or both, depending on your mood as you ride.

See https://wilddog.net.za/forum/index.php?topic=55247.msg1112515#msg1112515 if you want to join this Saturday.

Attachments

• google file.doc
    222.5 KB · Views: 40