Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Enduro vs MX ???  (Read 1760 times)

Offline Etienne2T

Re: Enduro vs MX ???
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2010, 08:06:24 pm »
MX bikes are in general more powerfull, lighter and have better suspension than enduro bikes.

Actually not so...

The MX might feel more powerfull because of the gearing.

The suspention on the MX is normally a bit harder to cope with the high jumps. Stiffer suspention does not mean better.

I thought the same, until I asked the question on e-dirt, where some of the top guys are, and they all ride a MX bike, instead of an enduro bike. But this is only applicable to the Yamaha's because you have the wr vs yz debate.

Offline IDR

• <insert bias disclaimer here>
  • Administrator
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: NER-A-CAR
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2010, 11:11:02 pm »
MX bikes are in general more powerfull, lighter and have better suspension than enduro bikes.

Actually not so...

The MX might feel more powerfull because of the gearing.

The suspention on the MX is normally a bit harder to cope with the high jumps. Stiffer suspention does not mean better.

I thought the same, until I asked the question on e-dirt, where some of the top guys are, and they all ride a MX bike, instead of an enduro bike. But this is only applicable to the Yamaha's because you have the wr vs yz debate.

+1 - same holds true for the KX vs the KLX... the KLX is still running the 2008 KX's motor, whereas the KX gets a new motor every year.  The MX bikes are upgraded yearly with the latest and greatest technology, to stay competitive (because everybody's doing it) - that's why the MX bikes are running FI already, that gets started up by the swing of the kickstart lever.  None of the enduro bikes are running FI yet.
The three things you need to fix anything in the universe: duct tape, WD-40 and a hammer.  If it moves and it shouldn't, use the duct tape.  If it doesn't move and it should, use the WD-40.  Otherwise use the hammer.

Offline Dunce

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
  • Live life to its fullest
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2010, 08:24:25 am »
Same for KTM, SX verses EXE etc. but the choice is up to you.
I have a SX but would give that up for a happy button in any enduro situation.
PS just to add on electric start on KTM R10k to 15K--WTF--- ??? :xxbah:

Offline Dunce

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
  • Live life to its fullest
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2010, 08:36:30 am »
Suspension on mx bikes are better. The technology on the 2010 YZ450, will only be on the 2012 WR450

Don't you think that is a bit of a small sample?
Nope,look at most of the top manufactures and you will see the MX technology and suspension upgrades only come out on the Enduro bikes later--- They make their name more on the MX bikes then the Enduro circut as it has a bigger following and therefore more exposure and a bigger buyer base.
But bottom line is MX for jumping and quick turns on a track and enduro for longer straights and tighter cornering etc.
But then you have the guys like me and others that buy an MX bike and add flywheel weights, longer gearboxes so we can try have the best of both worlds-- my advise would be if you are starting out to buy a KDX and ride it until you have had enough and then buy what you have decided on after this.My 2c.

Online Chukudeer

« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2010, 10:53:16 am »

The top 2 enduro/offroad riders in the country ride MX bikes for that exact reason, it is cheaper for them to take a YZ and make it a proper enduro, than to take a WR and make it better.

Plenty time and money was spent on those 2 bikes and the whole suspention was rebuilt for them by Hilton Hayward to perform on the enduro races. To say that they ride those bikes for that reason is, well not completely true. The sponsers gave them the bikes to ride, the bikes were then modified to perform under the conditions.

KTM 990R
Gas Gas 300 now we cooking
Lisdectia rules ko

Offline Dutchie

« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2010, 12:16:02 pm »
With regards to FI specifically, as far as I understand the FI is launched on MX bikes first before they are launched on Enduro bikes due to the fact that tech failure on an Enduro bike potentially has you stuck in the middle of nowhere.