BMW R1200GS - Acrapovic - Warranty issue

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LuckyStriker

Bachelor Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW G650 X-challenge
Ou Ryperd said:
LuckyStriker said:
I was recently informed that my bike's waranty will expire if I don't insert the removable baffle immediately (akrapovic)

:? Doesn't make sense :?
I thought I'd start a new thread to clarify my statement in the top box topic elsewhere on the forum.

Here goes:

When I recently took my bike in for a service the dealer gave me a very strange warning.
I have a Acrapovic end can fitted to my GSA. The sound of the exhaust can be changed by unscrewing a small bolt and pulling out the baffle.
Clear instructions are given in the manual and even the BMW newsletter 'Freedom' tells how horsepower can be increased by removing the baffle.

Recently an insurance claim was submitted when a customer's Acrapovic changed colour and the exhaust pipe started to show damage.
It came to light that a misfiring spark plug caused fuel to be ejected into the exhaust system and then ignited when the plug fired correctly again.

Somehow the removal of the baffle compounded the damage and BMW has now issued a memo (I have not personally seen it) to all dealers, prohibiting them to alter the Acrapovic pipe in any way.
Any customer who removes the baffle will void the warranty on his/her entire bike.
I removed my baffle but by doing so cracked a tiny tack weld keeping the bolt in place. This can be seen as tampering, I am told, but will not be held against me because I did it before the issue came up.

The problem seems (to me) unrelated and should be a spark plug issue, but I am now obliged to refit the baffle or suffer the consequences.

Since I have not personally received such a memo, it is only heresay at this point but be warned anyway...