Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Vuka bankrupt?  (Read 1352 times)

Offline Trumpet

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Triumph (all models)
Re: Vuka bankrupt?
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2010, 12:43:08 am »
In the East & India they are seen as exactly that - "disposable". Millions of these cheap little crappy things are sold each year. They are ridden for a year or 2 by the owners. When they eventually conk in & stop they are merely left on the side of the road & a new one purchased.
You cannot change what is, But you can change your perception of what is, And if you change your perception of what is, Then you actually change what is.

forex618

« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2010, 06:09:17 am »
man i have never seen so many moaning bitches with the golden spoon stuck firmly up their back sides ???

have any of you been in africa ???

nigeria - lagos
dar es salam
etc

there all you see is these cheap sh*t bikes - and they run the entire economy

lagos is so grid locked that people use these cheap bikes as taxis

you call it cheap sh*t i call it freedom to people that cant afford 160k for gsa  :deal:

n[]va got 30 000km out of his cheap ass disposable bike  :thumleft:

+ one million dollars (Dr. Evil voice)

forex618

« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2010, 06:15:57 am »
Why would Vuka/SAM whatever get in and get out with a quick buck? There's 10x more money to make as these bikes will keep on selling. They are cheap, fairly reliable, light on fuel, within reach of the mass market. Just wait till the blacks start getting into scuta's (which they will). They will sell millions of the things.

I say yay for vuka and the others. Reduces congestion and pollution and makes the world a more colourful place. So what if they only last 30k kilomters. As someone above said, you can replace it for cheaper than a service on a GSA  :deal:

Why should we be able to by a scoot, whilst millions of others can't afford it.

And no, you aren't going to get BMW quality for R5000, but you ain't gonna get a blackberry phone for R150, which is what I paid for my Vodafone phone (made in china) which I have been using for 4 years without a problem.

Get over it guys. Chinese scoots are here to stay, and I for one welcome them!! :3some:

Offline Butch

« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2010, 07:31:19 am »
Get over it guys. Chinese scoots are here to stay, and I for one welcome them!! :3some:

Hear hear!
Live and let live.

Offline Grondpad

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Ek laaik tiet kwaai....... :)
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2010, 07:40:50 am »
I drive a Big Boy 150cc, and I can services my bike in 1hour flat. Yes the quality is kak compared to other bikes and the top speed is maybe a 100  (If the wind is behind you). I paid R7800-00 for the bike, and I use it every day to commute about 90km. I have bought it 2.5 months ago and have +-4000 km on the clock,   I can happily say that I will NEVER commute with by GS again, I can squeeze my handlebars in to tight places!!  These cheap ass bikes, Is easy to fix and maintain, even replacing the motor will take you 25min!

forex618

« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2010, 07:41:58 am »
I drive a Big Boy 150cc, and I can services my bike in 1hour flat. Yes the quality is kak compared to other bikes and the top speed is maybe a 100  (If the wind is behind you). I paid R7800-00 for the bike, and I use it every day to commute about 90km. I have bought it 2.5 months ago and have +-4000 km on the clock,   I can happily say that I will NEVER commute with by GS again, I can squeeze my handlebars in to tight places!!  These cheap ass bikes, Is easy to fix and maintain, even replacing the motor will take you 25min!

But what a schweet sounding motor? My son had a BB pit bike and it was a gem  :thumleft:

Offline michnus

• PikiPiki Overland
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
    • Pikipiki Overland
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2010, 08:08:55 am »
Agree Bob and Jdog. These scoooters liberated most of Africa and if more South Africans weren't so stuck up they could have also benefited from them.

Cheap ass plastics true, but before people say they do not last get some real info, they last way longer than 30000km only KLR's last that long.  :pot: :biggrin: There's more scooters in China than people in Africa, and they ride the wheels of them, but again SA people think we are special, we live in our small pond at the bottom end of Africa and seems to miss what's happening in the rest of the world.  :)

The idea is they are disposable after time, and why use BMW quality plastics and switch gear on a commuter made for one purpose only?

Vuka did something wrong but hopefully with Jonway it will go better.

some pics I took in China, these people know how to be mobile, and we still have to get to electric scoots, now there's a funny thing, it's just woooooooosh past you and all you hear is tyre noise. Scooters got right of way and also use special bicycle and scooter lanes.

And so much for lasting, we got oke's in Angola who carry upto 50kg bags of maize on their bikes over dirt roads.

« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 08:20:55 am by michnus »

Offline Magnum

« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2010, 08:23:52 am »
2 years insurance and maintainence on a GSA or a KTM and you could probably buy 3-5 cheap scooters. Everything depends how one looks after their stuff.

In Moz I was right up in the north and could not believe how many cheap scooters there were in the smallest villages.
I checked the prices and a bicycle was approx R1000.00 and a scooter was R5000.00. I think the import costs were offset by all the logging activity happening up there.

Offline Kaaskrul

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Werner (all models)
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2010, 09:06:14 am »
If i remember correctly some okes even took the Vuka scooters through " Die Hel" ,without any mishaps ...

Offline Trailrider

• Southern Cape
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Honda TransAlp XL700V
  • "Africa Twin Lite"
    • Trailrider
« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2010, 09:16:17 am »
If i remember correctly some okes even took the Vuka scooters through " Die Hel" ,without any mishaps ...

Baviaans too.

Offline Trailrider

• Southern Cape
  • Bachelor Dog
  • "Africa Twin Lite"
    • Trailrider
« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2010, 09:19:04 am »
BoJangles' Vuka XL110 Adventure also didn't do too badly over Prins Alfred's Pass on her way to the EC Bash. 8)

Online LouisXander

• Lesotho (K)night rider.
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • Member of the Secret Sazook Society...
« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2010, 10:09:45 am »
Chinese bikes are here to stay and give access to many people who can't afford Jap bikes.

WHY? Because Jap bike importers wants to sell 25 year old XT250's for R38k, that why! I have a Bigboy XTG200, a pitbike and have never had any sh1t with it, and because of their cool prices all members of my family can ride.

If I had to purchase Jap bikes at R38k a shot, I would have been the only one with a bike.

Viva la Chinese disposables!! Viva!!!!!!! :ricky:
Don't dress for the ride,........dress for the fall!

Offline shanti

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • rest stop moon
    • derek saul
« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2010, 10:28:01 am »
I bought a vuka years back , I think I paid 4750 , it was for me the first new transport device I had ever bought as I am not rich and always bought secondhand  . I have looked after my Vuka , changed oil regularly etc . Since buying my Vuka I have done 27000 kms , it is now with a friend ( also not rich ) in the Garden Route clocking up more kilometers on dirt roads happily ( the big wheels make it easier than most scooters on dirt roads ) . So this ' disposable ' has faithfully served two people with no problems aside from the 'chrome ' rusting . The cost to run this bike is minimal , it is highly maneuverable and reliable . The savings to me where huge in terms of investment and running costs , this little bike saved me money and enabled me to get ahead and use that savings to invest in my work . I then bought a KLR second hand - great bikes also very reliable but here is the rub - tyres +/- R 700 each , more complicated service , more costs per kilometer . Luckily my economic situation has changed ( thank you Vuka ) and I can afford these higher costs of running a motorbike but my Vuka saved my ass when times where very tough and was simply one of the best purchases I have ever made , that it is still serving my friend well makes me very happy .  If more people could realize that owning your own transport like a vuka is cheaper in the long run than catching taxi's everyday and they give you a sense of freedom that relying on other people to get you around doesn't . The freedom my vuka gave me made me a man of independant means and enabled me to get out there and find work ( had a crate on the back that used to carry my welder , grinders , drill , helmet and other tools ) . So sorry Vuka is bankrupt and thank you Vuka for getting me on my feet when I had no money . I do believe small bikes are a great solution for South Africa and biking always makes a better person . Free your ass and your mind will follow .

Offline Dunce

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
  • Live life to its fullest
« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2010, 10:34:07 am »
Hey if I had to do a trip though West Africa to UK I would only buy a cheap Chinese bike.
If it beaks you fix it.If its wreaked you just go to the nearest market place and you can buy them from the crates.
This would be the way to see Africa.
I work and have lived in these counties and these bikes are everywhere and ride all over loaded to the brim.
So do not rip them off,they serve a purpose in Africa.
My biggest worry would be the inadequate protective clothing kids etc wear here riding these things in SA!!!!!!

Offline badballie

• Macum Amicum Est
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • www.bikersagainstdrugs.co.za
« Reply #34 on: September 03, 2010, 10:34:47 am »
My AKX moto 200 cc platic have been running for 2 years with no problems save maintenance - yes once my rear sprocket was shot I could not find another one to match - so had to replace the whole rear wheel - old rim was dented in any case and tire almost smooth - so it cost me R 1200 for a whole rear wheel with sprocket and tire !!!!!

damn expensive ..........................not !

Have had a SAM quad - no problems - son have a Viper pitbike and daughter a cruiser - none would have been possible with Jap makes ......just don't have the cash for the occasional jol

And yes they are disposable - do not buy them and expect to sell them for more that you bought it for like 15 yr old jap bikes.

But you get your moneys worth

Best laughs were out on the trails when the Jap riders would snicker at me and be surprised when I went everywhere they did and even towed back some Kawas a few times.

Do not buy them to do National Enduro races - they not made for that (Except Puzey) - but do if you are looking for a cheap toy/commuter
Cash, Gas or Ass............ no-one rides for free :-)

I did it because I can, I can because I want to and I want to because you said that I couldn't !!!!!!!

Offline LanceSA

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy a bike.
« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2010, 10:37:37 am »

Hear hear!

me too
It's a friggin' motorcycle, it's not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The windnoise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you scared every now and then. Suck it up. -- Scary Gary Mc

Offline Inprogress

• Race Dog
  • Bike: NER-A-CAR
  • Life's to short to be an adult!
    • Umfanjana Films
« Reply #36 on: September 03, 2010, 12:49:51 pm »
What all this complaining about the Vuka bikes and chinese bikes don't last that long. Most people don't even keep their GSA's for more than two years before they HAVE to upgrade.  :pot:
If an idle mind is the devil's workshop, then a busy mind is God's canvas

Offline Inprogress

• Race Dog
  • Bike: NER-A-CAR
  • Life's to short to be an adult!
    • Umfanjana Films
« Reply #37 on: September 03, 2010, 12:52:24 pm »

Something very weird about this picture. It seems to be outside, yet the lighting looks like inside. It almost looks like the Vuka is super-imposed in this specific picture. TR where was this taken if you don't mind me asking.

If an idle mind is the devil's workshop, then a busy mind is God's canvas

Offline Trailrider

• Southern Cape
  • Bachelor Dog
  • "Africa Twin Lite"
    • Trailrider
« Reply #38 on: September 03, 2010, 01:25:19 pm »

Something very weird about this picture. It seems to be outside, yet the lighting looks like inside. It almost looks like the Vuka is super-imposed in this specific picture. TR where was this taken if you don't mind me asking.

It was taken in Knysna.

Looky here: http://trailriderreports.blogspot.com/2009/06/pass-bash-and-very-big-kloof.html

Offline letsgofishing

• Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
  • Sedgefield, Garden Route
    • http://www.mikekaplandesign.com
« Reply #39 on: September 03, 2010, 01:37:50 pm »

It's just that kark 18x zoom Olympus he uses!  ;)
There is nothing you can do about the past and you can't predict the future...all you have is the now...live it to the fullest.

www.mikekaplandesign.com