American riding through southern and eastern Africa

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnny-B-Good

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F650GS / Dakar
I am an American, originally from California, but been away for the better part of a decade. I have lived in South Africa for the last 18 months or so, and now that my contract is ending I am planning a ~6-week trip around southern and eastern Africa. I am sure I'll be back to South Africa soon, but for now I start a new job in San Francisco come November.

The 6 week itinerary will include: South Africa, Lesotho, Botswana, Namibia, Zambia, Tanzania, Rwanda, Uganda, Kenya (southern only), Tanzania (again), Malawi, Swaziland and Mozambique before returning to South Africa. I am looking forward to Sani Pass in Lesotho; the Garden Route in South Africa; the salt pans in Botswana; the Caprivi strip and Okavango delta in Nambia; Victoria Falls; gorilla sightings in Rwanda; meeting up with a few friends in Uganda and Kenya; visiting Dar es Salaam and trying to hop a ferry to Zanzibar; camping along lake Malwai; and endless sand roads, beaches and an old friend in Mozambique before returning to Johannesburg to catch a flight to the other side of the world.

Ready for the punch line: I leave in a week! My 2004 BMW F650 Dakar is mostly ready to go, but due to a last minute failure from my supplier in Pretoria, I am searching for some luggage and crash bars to replace the ones that Tourtech couldn't get to me on-time.

I probably don't know enough to pull this trip off on my own. Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers.

Johnny-B-Good