The wussy Namibia Solo trip

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

faniesmith

Race Dog
Reaction score
So I was about 100km out of Walvisbay  in the middle of featureless terrain and only a long straight road, a sign that humans are here. I walk around and take a few pictures. I am alone, but utterly content. There is no place else I want to be right now. I have done my first proper trip after my crash. I am still limping, but that does no matter now. I feel like screaming at the top if my voice. However that seems inappropriate here. Instead, I just drink in the silent desert air, sky and thunderous silence. I am in love with Namibia. I just know I shall be back many times as part of a group or solo. It does not really matter. I just have to return. That was part of the idea of the trip. To come see what I actually want to experience in Namibia.

Beautifull Namibia:
NamTripAug2010_093_800x600.jpg

Everyone asked why I needed to do this and do this alone. I knew if they had to ask they will not understand even if I try explain it. How do you describe utter, brilliant contentment. I get my tripod out to take the picture above, but a car approaches. I hide tripod and wait for them to pass, giving them the "I am OK" when the car slows as it passes. This was so good to see on the trip. Everyone slow down if you stop to make sure you are OK. Why does it only happen out here. We should force everyone to take a yearly, week trip to somewhere remote. Maybe the world would be a better place then...?

Two years ago:
DSC00084.jpg

It was almost two years ago that my beloved 990 and I were is very different circumstances. I had three screws in my hip and the 990 needed a new font light and instruments and a new crash bar. Even then I knew this trip was on. This is the reason that this moment in Namibia has such significance. At least in my book I am OK...

I was in two minds about doing this report. It was not something new to tour Namibia alone. There has been a few trips and on much harder roads. I just wanted to get some quality 'me time' and that is what I got even though I stuck to the main routes. My only aim with this report is to say.

If you are thinking about that trip you always wanted to do. Pack you bags and do it!

Day 1 to follow.