Mow your lawn, lady?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LuckyStriker

Bachelor Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW G650 X-challenge
Hi

I put off discussing this on the forum because I like to make my own mind up regarding this type of thing, but I?m really struggling. And I hope you won't think less of me once you have read the whole post.

I am seriously considering selling my GSA.
There are a few reasons for my decision but chiefly it is about the money and the bike itself. I?ll try to keep this post short.

The rising interest rates and scary insurance premiums are nailing my ass to the wall. Only ego and the deeply ingrained shame of admitting financial difficulty has kept me from selling the GSA already.
The bike is just too expensive and my income simply will not cater for the extravagance. The feeling of shame in admitting it is illogical but there you go, it must be my Middleclass Afrikaner upbringing that causes it.
I could ask my parents for money (they certainly have it) but pride prevents me from running to mommy and daddy every time I get a little scared.

The other thing that bugs me is the sheer size and weight of the bike. It holds me back from really enjoying the ride. It is too precious to drop and therefore I chicken out when I see really technical tracks.
I have always reasoned that I?d buy the bike as an investment (it is in a way) and replace it with something lighter, less complicated and cheaper as soon as I am ready to explore deeper into Africa.

That time will never come because the R3200 a month (excluding services, tyres, fuel) I spend on the bike is not allowing me to save up money for that dream trip.

So now I am stuck with four options:
1) Get a second job. I hate this option because any second job will only eat away my valuable time with my wife and supply only limited extra income (presumably).
2) Sell the GSA and get a smaller/cheaper bike and suffer the shame of scaling down (that was a joke).
3) Get rid of bikes for a while and spend a year creating wealth. I can always come back to bikes later.
4) Sell off the bling bit by bit (That Akra should fetch a fair price). This is a poor way to go in my opinion because all I will do is loose stuff and not solve the problem...
5) Another option is to just close my eyes, keep the bike, eventually go into dangerous debt and hope I win the Lotto. (not an option)

I would dearly love to keep the GSA but I don?t see how. If any of you have suggestions I will gladly listen.
If you don?t, could you please suggest alternative bikes. I really like the DRZ400S but it is moer expensive for such a little hobbit.

I can continue with my brain farting but I promised to keep it short. Thanks in advance and please feel free to laugh at my predicament. Some of the greatest people in history were poor (actually I think that?s not quite true?)