More Dirty Laundry

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tok-tokkie

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Yamaha TW200
There was a recent thread about poor service at a local (Cape) BMW dealer. This refers to the same dealer.
https://www.wilddogtours.co.za/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4585

I bought a very lightly used Dakar recently. It was first registered in November 2005 and had only done 8000 km when I bought it in February 2007. The only service it had had was the 1000 km service in December 2005. This was the same dealer as in the previous thread.

I did an oil change and checked out the bike a bit. When filling the battery water I also had a look at the air filter (previous owner thought it had a sealed battery & why does it not have a sealed battery?). I found that the tracking device had been siliconed into the air box. In the photo you will see that just the top part of the blue foam seal is clean ? that was where it was clamped by the snorkel. All the lower part of the air filter was displaced into the air box by the mechanic who fitted the tracker device and left there. Air simply went round the side of the filter straight into the engine. Fortunately for me this bike had only been off-tar on the BMW training course before I got it & I had only done 1000ks mainly on dirt before I found this. I assume it is the tracking device ? it has Wavetrend written on the one side & a legal note about interference (electrical I assume) on the back.
https://img444.imageshack.us/my.php?image=tracker1qh8.jpg

(That is the first time I have posted an image from Imageshack. I have tried to follow LuckyStrikers instructions but I did not find what he found.
EDIT: I copied the address from Imageshack & ^V pasted it here. What should I have done to make the image pop up automatically?)

I will be servicing the bike myself. I have been looking for a Workshop manual for a twin spark Dakar on the internet without success. Then I found a thread here on Wild Dogs where someone on the Reef offered another member the manual, Chain Gang DVDs & all the Chain Gang FAQs. I PMd him but have not had a reply & the PM is not in my sent messages box so it probably never went out and I can?t find the thread to send it again. Has anyone got that stuff available?