Solo damn trip

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IDR

Grey Hound
Administrator
Reaction score
As posted here, I devised myself a little route from home in Pta East to home in Pta East, but via 4 dams, Dronkwordspruit, Witbank, Loskop and Roodeplaat. I thought it was a bit ambitious at first, but thought I'd go for it, and improvise as I go along. So I packed myself a little sumpin sumpin to munch on, printed out some maps and set off.

Saturday morning, just after 6, on my way out:
dscf0227cq2.jpg

First dirt of the day on the way to the train track, which I intended following all the way to Bronkhorstspruit:
dscf0228wq5.jpg

Instead of following that road all the way down the to tracks, there is a turn-off to a small quarry, where I did a quick loop. Funacide, this is a GREAT place to practice climbs and descents! I shoulda taken more pics of it in hindsight, but alas, this is the only one:
dscf0229ek4.jpg

Some indigenous not-so-wild life:
dscf0231ui5.jpg

Typical highveld scenery:
dscf0232un0.jpg

A happy adventurer :D :
dscf0233eb9.jpg

Typical surface next to the tracks... with the amount of gravel the only thing that changes:
dscf0234tj8.jpg

I had to get off the dirt onto tar to get across the N4 and down to the dam. I missed the turn-off I meant to take, and ended up having to ride through a township into Bronkhorstspruit. I was REALLY nervous at first, but everybody was incredibly friendly, showing thumbs-up and waving and stuff... didn't feel threatened at all :)
Found this chunk of old bridge next to the road... pity about all the cables and crap in the background:
dscf0237fd6.jpg

Then found this sunflower field, and couldn't resist:
dscf0238zk7.jpg

Then through Bronkhorstpsruit on the way to the dam I rode past Cultura village, which I've driven and ridden past SO many times, and thought I'd go check it out, and I was NOT disappointed. It's actually quite breathtaking, and there was not a soul in sight or within earshot. It was dead-quiet, and actually quite a spiritual experience :) :
dscf0240oy5.jpg

dscf0243ur3.jpg

dscf0244fu4.jpg

dscf0245pj9.jpg

dscf0248ow0.jpg

IDR was here :D :
dscf0247hb8.jpg

Pushed on, and arrived at dam #1, Bronkhorstspruit:
dscf0250tb7.jpg

Then back on the go towards Witbank dam. Hit the dirt towards Ogies:
dscf0251sc8.jpg

dscf0252ji1.jpg

It's pretty flat around here:
dscf0253ie2.jpg

dscf0254js4.jpg

I got to this bridge which seemed to be an ideal spot for a break...had a bite to eat and a drink of water out the camelback. Doesn't smoke-break just seem so much easier? (I quit two weeks ago 8) )
dscf0255xl2.jpg

Got to the tar again, I was SO hoping this was a dirt road, but alas...it might as well have been though, it's in horrific shape...
dscf0258pp3.jpg

Filled up in Ogies (R 43 of juice after about 140 km!), and headed to Witbank dam. I was hoping that the route I had plotted included dirt, but it was tar all the way. We came to Witbank dam for the weekend of my birthday two weeks ago, and stayed at Barham Bay, which I knew was on a dirt road, so found that and went in search of the spot closest to the dam, and here it is, Witbank Dam:
dscf0259ka7.jpg

By this time (above photo taken at 11:00), it was really getting hot, and I was getting a bit lonely :oops: so I decided to cut out the other two dams, and revisit them at some other time...and shot home on the N4 from Witbank, taking my usual offroad shortcut from Hans Strydom, and did a loop of the quarry behind my complex:
dscf0262hf1.jpg

Total distance around 320 km, and it was GREAT to be out on the dirt again! And, as usual, the KLE was a reliable, comfortable and competent companion.

No sunflowers were harmed in the making of this report. 8)