GPS Tech-Day in Durban >> 2 Oct 2010 <<

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
Kymco (all models)
Edit : -
------  Da Plans !!-------------

2 Oct - Durban Surf Lifesaving Club - North Beach 09:30m - about 15:00
( If you want to come for a swim of about 1Km and body-surf a few waves be there at 06:00  ;D )

Ring the buzzer and tell Stan (manager, cook, bottle-washer ) you are going to the GPS thingy )

(Durban Surf is the first building South of the Joe Kools/Wimpy/Steers building on North Beach - they are renovating so the sign is down)

Coords :-
S29 51.030 E31 02.291

Cost R20 per person +  lunch to cover room rental fee. + beer money  - they don't do cards at the bar.

Bring a laptop/Mapsource/GPS  (If you have) for the assignment - If you don't no problem - you can join the team on my laptop  

My cell is zero ate too one for nine six
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was asked a few months ago if I could hold a GPS and mapsource workshop in Durban.

Happy to do.

We have done three now, and have learned a bit of what the guys need and want, so I would suggest the content be:-  

Theory bit.

- How GPS works - just an overview - 10 minutes

- Concepts, Terms and GPS-Speak - 1 hour
       lat/Lon Coordinates and conversion
       Waypoints
       Routes
       Tracks
       Autorouting & hidden tracks

-GPS selection/evaluation for biking - what you need and don't need and decision criteria 30 mins

- Uploading and download to and from PCs

- File types, contents and file conversion
        (GDB, MPS, GPX, KML formats - when to use what )

- PC use - Mapsource  - 1hour
   - Merging,
   - editing,
   - filtering and . . .
   - preparing tracks and files for publication

- Displaying tracks in Google Earth and creating tracks for the GPS from Google Earth.

- Track to route and route to track conversions

- Hands on session/workshop - 2 hours

(For the guys who have and can bring laptops - we can work in teams if we are short of laptops  )

assignment will be to edit some stuff from my track file library and use Google Earth to create a publishable file for a future ride.  

Owning a GPS and laptop is not a pre-requisite - hopefully the session can help to decide which and why to buy one .

dates ?