Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Happy to report 1200GS is bushworthy  (Read 2733 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline KiLRoy

  • Kaptein Duiwel
  • Administrator
  • Gentleman Dog
  • ***
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
    Location: Gauteng
  • Posts: 16,456
  • Thanked: 1269 times
  • Kaptein Duiwel - vriend van Beau Brummel
    • Wild Dog Adventure Riders
Happy to report 1200GS is bushworthy
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2006, 11:18:25 am »
Thats one of the things I don't understand in live:  paying R130k plus for a german state of the art trailee, being assured by the salesman its invincible, getting the reality shock later when finding out its (and nothing are) not invicible and then staying of the rough stuff for fear of damage to the paintwork of this big 'invincible' dual sport machine.

Ironic isn't it???  :D

H
 

Offline >Herman<

  • Race Dog
  • ***
  • Bike: KTM 890 Adventure R
    Location: Gauteng
  • Posts: 3,718
  • Thanked: 22 times
  • If not now, when?
    • Botsepehi Consulting
Happy to report 1200GS is bushworthy
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2006, 12:34:41 pm »
Quote from: "KiLeRSA"
Thats one of the things I don't understand in live:  paying R130k plus for a german state of the art trailee, being assured by the salesman its invincible, getting the reality shock later when finding out its (and nothing are) not invicible and then staying of the rough stuff for fear of damage to the paintwork of this big 'invincible' dual sport machine.

Ironic isn't it???  :D

H


no it's not!!!

shark_za

  • Guest
Happy to report 1200GS is bushworthy
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2006, 12:38:48 pm »
Both myself and wino have had a MLOT (Momentary Lapse Of Talent) on the rock, both walked away with nothing less than a few scratches on the plastics, hey Mr R7k later insurance claim boy.
 

Offline >Herman<

  • Race Dog
  • ***
  • Bike: KTM 890 Adventure R
    Location: Gauteng
  • Posts: 3,718
  • Thanked: 22 times
  • If not now, when?
    • Botsepehi Consulting
Happy to report 1200GS is bushworthy
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2006, 12:52:16 pm »
Quote from: "shark_za"
Both myself and wino have had a MLOT (Momentary Lapse Of Talent) on the rock, both walked away with nothing less than a few scratches on the plastics, hey Mr R7k later insurance claim boy.


You talking to me??  :twisted:  :D

To set the record straight.  

My fall on the Rock could be fixed without an insurance claim, but I opted to fix all the minor defects on the bike, e.g. bash plate, cyc.head protectors & crash bars.  They were all loose, cracked, dented from previous incedents  :oops:

Offline funacide

  • Administrator
  • Race Dog
  • ***
  • Bike: KTM 890 Adventure R
    Location: Western Cape
  • Posts: 3,530
  • Thanked: 13 times
    • Mediro Business Service Management
Happy to report 1200GS is bushworthy
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2006, 03:39:48 pm »
AOR

I too was petrified of dropping the GS more due to financial issues than anything else. I was so relieved to eventually have my first fall that I was actually smiling (ask BBBS) when I cam off. What I have learnt is that with good crash bars, the most that will happen (unless you are in serious rocky country) is that the hand protectors get broken or the mirrors get scratched. If you are doing serious off-road maybe a plan to take off the mirrors (easy to do).

After about 10 falls, some of which have been documented by various members of this forum, I have finally gotten over worrying about it all the time and I am now enjoying the ride more and more!!!

GO for IT, once you get the first couple out of the way, it is really easy!
KTM 890 ADV R
 

Offline mango

Happy to report 1200GS is bushworthy
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2006, 08:22:01 pm »
Quote from: "funacide"
AOR

After about 10 falls, some of which have been documented by various members of this forum, I have finally gotten over worrying about it all the time and I am now enjoying the ride more and more!!!

GO for IT, once you get the first couple out of the way, it is really easy!


A true statement I think.....I have a fear of falling, and I believe when it
finally happens, my riding should improve.
 

Offline LiveInTheOutdoors

  • Race Dog
  • ***
  • Posts: 1,207
    • http://tigerr.smugmug.com
Happy to report 1200GS is bushworthy
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2006, 10:48:49 pm »
Can I help Mango? CAN I????  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D Hell, falling is kinda fun.

I always piss myself laughing when falling offroad, its so cool to be connected to the earth again!  :D

Yes, remove mirrors, I have 4 spare mirrors for my Dakar here if anyone wants  :D  me fix you nice praiiiisce :lol:
very minute is a chance to turn it all around - Vanilla Sky



>Mav... started gym. Officially at 95kg....<
 

Offline funacide

  • Administrator
  • Race Dog
  • ***
  • Bike: KTM 890 Adventure R
    Location: Western Cape
  • Posts: 3,530
  • Thanked: 13 times
    • Mediro Business Service Management
Happy to report 1200GS is bushworthy
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2006, 11:09:52 pm »
Yeah, in hidsight falling is kind of fun on sand. The only time it is not fun is on rocks!!!!

 :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
KTM 890 ADV R
 

Offline Welsh

  • BMW R1150GSV
  • Gentleman Dog
  • *
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
    Location: Gauteng
  • Posts: 19,653
  • Thanked: 888 times
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
Happy to report 1200GS is bushworthy
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2006, 04:50:22 pm »
Quote from: "mango"
Quote from: "funacide"
AOR

After about 10 falls, some of which have been documented by various members of this forum, I have finally gotten over worrying about it all the time and I am now enjoying the ride more and more!!!

GO for IT, once you get the first couple out of the way, it is really easy!


A true statement I think.....I have a fear of falling, and I believe when it
finally happens, my riding should improve.


A tip from an old VARK, more falls ocur from over cautiousness than from "agressive) riding, if you tip toe it you will often fall (like me on Sunday). Attack the obstacle and you will more often succeed.

I know it sounds too simple, but it is true!

Welshie

" I'd still rather hunt with Cheney than ride with Ted Kennedy."

Barnett
The guys say they can do a Pistol on their 3D printer, not impressed I have had a Canon printer for years.
 

Offline LiveInTheOutdoors

  • Race Dog
  • ***
  • Posts: 1,207
    • http://tigerr.smugmug.com
Happy to report 1200GS is bushworthy
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2006, 10:35:11 am »
So I fell today A LOT on sand - 3 times - heres a TIP

Get folding mirrors. I have saved myself, today, R600 x 3. Amazing things, I just fold them in on the fly, and dont even stop, stand on the pegz and go onto the obstacle.

Then I played on the mine dumps and did some full on ramp into the sky shit (around 10 of them) and also went up and down some foooking steep rocky stuff (McDuff, you know Franklindale Waste Disposal area - the dumps there), and my BIKE FELL ON ROCKS.

OWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

I went up this one vertical thing (okay, not 90deg, but around 55deg) for 2-4metres, lost traction on my road pumped tyres, kept the gas on, helped me make another few metres, and dumped it  - onto a rock that went between the crash bars. I thought it had nailed my tank. Took me 10 minutes to reverse it front end down this super steep slippery thing, dragged it on the rocks, ow, and when I came down, I realised, that it was okay, the bars are scratched moer toe, but the body work is fine. I wish I had a camera with me, it was so awesome. Have to take Ernie with me next time.

Drop the bike already, I feel so much better mine is done, I can go have fun now - I FEEL GREAT!
very minute is a chance to turn it all around - Vanilla Sky



>Mav... started gym. Officially at 95kg....<
 

Offline macduff

  • RIP
  • Race Dog
  • ***
  • Bike: Yamaha XT600
    Location: Western Cape
  • Posts: 854
  • Cape Town
    • http://gonnagallas.blogspot.com/
Happy to report 1200GS is bushworthy
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2006, 01:56:21 pm »
:D
i have no fear of dropping the bike... it looks like shit anyway.
erm... its MY bodywork that needs pampering  :oops:  :oops: