Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Inconsiderate bikers are endangering all of us!  (Read 1213 times)

Offline VMAN

• Deleted Users
  • Pack Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Pretoria East
Inconsiderate bikers are endangering all of us!
« on: September 17, 2010, 07:45:09 am »
I have found cagers becoming more and more aggressive towards bikers. One lady told me she is going to supply stickers to all bikes stating “ Think Car”.

My biggest gripe is guys lane-splitting in all the lanes, not only the fast lane and that is causing problems.
Motorists are used to bikes in the fast lane and are keeping left or right. When a biker suddenly appears on the other/wrong side and then also waves a finger for the car not moving out of his way, people get upset.
Where it gets to me is if the car now swerves towards me in the fast lane! >:(

In the end, hooting and swearing at cages WILL cause them to try and ‘block’ the next bike coming along.
BMW R1200 GS
BMW F650 GS

Offline Billbob

• Deleted Users
  • Race Dog
  • Live and let live (to a point)
Re: Inconsiderate bikers are endangering all of us!
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2010, 07:51:23 am »
I fully agree with your sentiments. There is an idiot born every five minutes, irrespective of what he/she drives/rides.  :dousing:
1200GS

Offline Magnum

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2010, 07:58:21 am »
Simple, treat other people the way you want to be treated. When people make space for me, I always acknowledge them, but in the same token when I am in my car and an arrogant biker crosses my path it angers me immensely and if he is riding like a twatwaffle that is even worse.

forex618

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2010, 08:03:44 am »
Simple, treat other people the way you want to be treated. When people make space for me, I always acknowledge them, but in the same token when I am in my car and an arrogant biker crosses my path it angers me immensely and if he is riding like a twatwaffle that is even worse.

WTF is it in SA that people have never heard of keep left/pass right? It amazes me.

Offline Puddles

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW F800GS
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2010, 08:13:06 am »

WTF is it in SA that people have never heard of keep left/pass right? It amazes me.

Unfortunately with the way youngsters/newbies are getting their license/learners nowdays ... via driving schools etc ... they are given the absolute bare minumum to pass the test & NO WHERE does it even state this most basic important rule.

2010 BMW F800GS     2008 BMW F650GS(Twin)    2006 Honda XL650V Transalp

GreenMamba1974

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2010, 08:15:55 am »

:thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:

Offline PG

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2010, 08:19:18 am »
Agree

Offline AntonDP

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2010, 09:27:57 am »
Agree as well. 

Offline JohanGPS

• Pack Dog
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2010, 09:41:06 am »
Like I asked a new driver" what is the golden rule of the road ?" He said" Hou die stuurwiel vas !"
I asked a oke working at the National Road Safety Council the same question. He did not know either.
This country suffers from cANCcer. If we don't have it cut out it will be terminal.

forex618

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2010, 09:42:08 am »
Like I asked a new driver" what is the golden rule of the road ?" He said" Hou die stuurwiel vas !"
I asked a oke working at the National Road Safety Council the same question. He did not know either.

amazing

Offline tsa

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Honda XL1000V Varadero
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2010, 09:46:31 am »
So........ to stir......... :mwink:
Where do "bikers" get educated to tell them they are only allowed to lane split in the fast lane? The golden rule of keep left pass right does not exist / apply in this case as you anyhow pass the vehicles in the fast lane on the left side. If you pass them on the right side you will be in the shoulder lane? Technically you are not allowed to lane split when vehicles are moving.......... :pot: :pot:

Offline RobC

• Stoepkakkertjie
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • Bloemfontein
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2010, 09:48:39 am »
Plus in Langenhoven park here in Bloem no one has heard about the "Yield to traffic on your right" rule at circles... they do the opposite! I give up... really...  ::)

Offline Big H

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2010, 10:09:29 am »

It amazes me too, and it was very clear in the month all the lanes on the N1 between Jo'burg and Pretoria were open.

You'd think that 5 lanes would enable people to apply that rule. No, all that happened was that the left lane suddenly became the fast lane!

forex618

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2010, 10:12:10 am »
Plus in Langenhoven park here in Bloem no one has heard about the "Yield to traffic on your right" rule at circles... they do the opposite! I give up... really...  ::)

LOL don't let's get started on roundabouts....folks who don't indicate, stop endlessly before entering, pull in front of you...etc. Perhaps the circles haven't got into the new training books?

Offline RobC

• Stoepkakkertjie
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bloemfontein
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2010, 10:15:15 am »

LOL don't let's get started on roundabouts....folks who don't indicate, stop endlessly before entering, pull in front of you...etc. Perhaps the circles haven't got into the new training books?
They are, daughter has just done her learners and freaks out like me when she sees the circle chaos.  ::)
"Maar Pa? het hulle dan nie die boek geswat nie?"

Offline cloudgazer

• RPMods
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 640 Adventure
    • fontera
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2010, 10:26:49 am »

It's not surprising people dont know how to use a traffic circle.

We got one here in CT, where the yield signs are in the circle, which means you've got to give way to people entering it.
So friggin stupid.

morpheus

« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2010, 10:53:54 am »
I have been in the cage a lot lately and I think bikers suck.

I am a biker, have been commuting to work for 6 years by bike and been riding a long time. I make way for a bike, not even a nod of the head or anything, but let you not move and you see more than a nod of the head.

I am a biker but think I will not want to be called that anymore the way things are going. The way bikers are angering the cages, perhaps going back to a cage is the only way to preserve life and limb.

Peace

Offline tsa

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Honda XL1000V Varadero
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2010, 10:58:41 am »
yes yes yes !!! the real term "biker" is returning as feared and hated by all ..... the way I like it  :pot: mess with me and i will not get mad , just even...... other softy bikers will be forced out of the "club" :pot:

Ganjora

« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2010, 10:59:41 am »
there's only 1 way to attack traffic circles: on your back wheel,  and go straight over them.

Offline RobC

• Stoepkakkertjie
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bloemfontein
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2010, 11:01:58 am »
there's only 1 way to attack traffic circles: on your back wheel,  and go straight over them.
Depends which ones you mean... we have one on our campus that will ruin your day and most probably your rims. :mwink: