Heidenau tyre stability problems on 1200gs adventure

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
BMW (all models)
:mad: Last year at the BMW GS Eco event I noticed a lot of 1200 GS's fitted with Heidenau tyres. I completed last years event on Metzeler karoos which came fitted standard on my new GS 1200 Adventure purchased about 3 months earlier. My rear Metzeler karoo just made it home with about no tread left after less than 4000km's on the clock. I came home and could not find any stock of Heidenau's at that stage and fitted a set of Maxis with the same tread pattern as anakee's.
My rear maxi tyre was due for replacement and I decided to try the Heidenau's after reading good reports about them. I could only find a 140 rear tyre as they are not available in 150 rear size.

I could only fit the tyres 2 days prior to the Eco Challenge. I immediatley noticed a bit of a whobble at speeds over 120 km/h and even during hard braking unloaded.
My bike was loaded very light for the Eco challenge yet I felt very nervous traveling at 140km/h on the highway. On the fast gravel road leading into Smithfield most of my group was traveling comfortably  at speeds of 120-140km/h on anakees and Continental Knobblies , yet I felt extremely nervous and had a serious head shake at only 90km/h.
Has anybody else experienced similar reactions on the heidenau's on a 1200Gs?
Tyre presure on gravel was1.4bar front and 1.8bar rear and on tar 2.4bar front and 2.8bar rear.