Honda CRF 250R - '05 Input please?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BiG DoM

Grumpy Mutt
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS HP2
I presently ride a HP2 as my DS of choice, have had GS's - 650, 1150, 1200ADV before this. Also had road bikes and raced some - also had a Yammie DT 400 back in the days when it was considered gnarly! The position I am now in is I want/need a 'plastic' to go ride with my 12 year old on his TTR and with mates on their plastics ... the HP2 obviously is not the toy/weapon of choice for some of these excursions. I do not want to break the bank and have the option of getting a '05 CRF 250R for a couple of 'Gorillas' under R20K. The bike is in awesome standard condition - barely raced and has basically sat for a couple of years. I have ridden it and laark it! My questions to those in the know about these bikes are:

1) I understand this is a MX bike and there was a X model that was more enduro orientated (slightly larger fuel tank, gearing slightly different, happy biutton:)  - not many other big differences that I know of?). Obviously the type of riding in the mountains and woods that I want to do is more enduro orientated but am thinking this bike will do the job admirably but need to ask - will this bike be suitable with the addition of barkbusters, better bashplate, maybe some slight bar risers as I am tall, maybe even long range tank? Any other suggestions?

2) I read on the web that there were issues with the soft valves? Seems that some have fitted SS as oposed to the titanium??? Comments please - do they just need regular shimming or are they a weak link?

3) I know that a 2010 model is quite different but costs R66K so a similar beast for under R20K seems like a bargain?

All input welcome.  :ricky: