Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: 990R vs GS - first impressions  (Read 1759 times)

Offline Motties

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 1090 Adventure R
  • Was Darksider
Re: 990R vs GS - first impressions
« Reply #60 on: October 01, 2010, 09:59:01 am »
This will help! :pot:
'16 KTM 300 XCW

Offline popipants

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
  • I came; I saw; I slept
« Reply #61 on: October 01, 2010, 10:16:20 am »
Gerrit's 990 had a steering damper on. I noticed that quiet a few KTM's have this fitted.
Again an "un-emotional" Q to the KTM guys - why is this needed and under what conditions do you feel a "kopskud"?
To what should this be contributed? The larger wheel, "lighter rim", longer suspension, or rake angle? Then again, do you feel this is a necessity?
Would teaaly appreciate comments.

ps.Ek hou van katte, verkieslik die tipe wat heavy rock kitaar saam met my kan speel so die prentjie post laat my effens deurmekaar voel. :biggrin:

its not ready to race without one!!
I've been on the Jameson diet for a week, so far I've lost 7 days....

Offline weskus

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Vrek gewerk!!
« Reply #62 on: October 01, 2010, 10:49:36 am »
again it comes down to this:

The answer is quiet simply really, if you like:

and

Then you must take=

And if you like

and

Then you must take=

:)

I don't think Etienne should be allowed to venture an opinion until he's at least 21.
Ek stem, as ek darem dink wat se k@k ek op 18 kwytgeraak het - en dan glo jy ook nog jouself, aan die ander kant het mens mos nie idee van rand-en sent nie, dan sou ek ook 990 verkies... :pot:
Vorige scooters : Suzuki TS 185, Honda CD 200, Suzuki PE 250, Kawasaki Z650, Yamaha 495 IT, Kawasaki KLX 300, BMW F 650 GS Dakar, BMW F 800 GS, KDX200, KTM300, Suzuki GSXR1000, Honda CD200, KTM 1290 Superduke (stukkend geval) tans KTM 990 Adv - toer,  KTM 300 XCW- funrides,Honda Z50 Monkeybike(projek), Honda ST70 Dax, Honda CX500 Custom - bar toe..

Offline Legadema

• Race Dog
« Reply #63 on: October 01, 2010, 11:22:31 am »

and

Then you must take=

And if you like

and

Then you must take=

I don't think Etienne should be allowed to venture an opinion until he's at least 21.
Ek stem, as ek darem dink wat se k@k ek op 18 kwytgeraak het - en dan glo jy ook nog jouself, aan die ander kant het mens mos nie idee van rand-en sent nie, dan sou ek ook 990 verkies... :pot:
Don't worry Weskus... Nog net een groot beker op die Nasionale Wynskou dan koop jy n 990  :deal:

Offline domstes

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 790 Adventure R
« Reply #64 on: October 01, 2010, 11:46:31 am »
Bit of a hi-jack BUT

I wonder what happened to the KTM 950 Rallye bikes.
I would love to see one in real life.

Offline dirtman

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Live to ride and ride to live
« Reply #65 on: October 01, 2010, 11:51:55 am »
I had the oppertunity to ride Ball$Chain's 990R at the CABC this week-end. Some old and some (I hope) new comments?
- Superior offroad suspension and grounclearance on the R (Punt!)

The handle bars are very narrow. I feld less in control when I got up on the pegs, due to the height of  the bike and the narrow bars. (less leverage). MAybe this explains why more GS riders stand up? The narrow seat makes it possible to shift your weight without having to stand up as on the GS. I found the R's seat very comfortable.

The engine is more responsive and revs very easily. The configuration of the pistons (upright V) has a very important impact on handling on dirt - AS the engine picks up speed, it "forces" the bike upright. I tested it on a very sandy patch and the R is a pleasure in sand! The bike is "forced" upright with the slightest engine revs and, in conjuction with the 21' front wheel, suspension and different weight distribution it was much easier to handle in the thick sand.

The only "negatives" I found was the following.
It was suprisingly heavier to pick up than the 1200GS. (Higher centre of gravity with even taller suspension to blame).
On the open dirt road I found it has less"stopping power". The back wheel slides easier with the brakes on - maybe the bigger wheel to blame which reduce grip?
(Grip is a funtion of weight and contact surface area. Bigger wheel=larger contact surface area and asuming the same friction coefficent leads to "less" grip)
Engine "wear and tear" is a function of engine speed, so the "higher reving" engine might have a shorter "life expectansy?

Must be said my "test ride" was only about 30minutes, so maybe I have it completely wrong? 

In fact, it's the exact opposite. Theoretically a bigger wheel should provide better braking for the exact reasons you mentioned.

Things to consider vis-a-vis your GS:
1. Tyre pressure. Too hard and you have less grip.
2. Type of tyre. A Scorpion doesn't have the grip of, say, a TKC.
3. Strength of rear brake, ie, maybe you need to recalibrate your right foot to apply less force as to avoid locking up.

Ja, the KTM990R is a beast. If it had tubeless tyres I might have owned a KTM long time ago.

Who knows what the future will bring?
Nee Jaco, hoe kan jy dink om iets anders as jou HP te ry?Veral met daai nuwe HPN op :thumleft:
All men die, only a few ever live.

Offline Jacko

• Grey hound
  • Bike: Hildebrand & Wolfmuller (all models)
  • "Don't be a hater, yo." Riaan Cruywagen
« Reply #66 on: October 02, 2010, 06:30:05 pm »
I had the oppertunity to ride Ball$Chain's 990R at the CABC this week-end. Some old and some (I hope) new comments?
- Superior offroad suspension and grounclearance on the R (Punt!)

The handle bars are very narrow. I feld less in control when I got up on the pegs, due to the height of  the bike and the narrow bars. (less leverage). MAybe this explains why more GS riders stand up? The narrow seat makes it possible to shift your weight without having to stand up as on the GS. I found the R's seat very comfortable.

The engine is more responsive and revs very easily. The configuration of the pistons (upright V) has a very important impact on handling on dirt - AS the engine picks up speed, it "forces" the bike upright. I tested it on a very sandy patch and the R is a pleasure in sand! The bike is "forced" upright with the slightest engine revs and, in conjuction with the 21' front wheel, suspension and different weight distribution it was much easier to handle in the thick sand.

The only "negatives" I found was the following.
It was suprisingly heavier to pick up than the 1200GS. (Higher centre of gravity with even taller suspension to blame).
On the open dirt road I found it has less"stopping power". The back wheel slides easier with the brakes on - maybe the bigger wheel to blame which reduce grip?
(Grip is a funtion of weight and contact surface area. Bigger wheel=larger contact surface area and asuming the same friction coefficent leads to "less" grip)
Engine "wear and tear" is a function of engine speed, so the "higher reving" engine might have a shorter "life expectansy?

Must be said my "test ride" was only about 30minutes, so maybe I have it completely wrong? 

In fact, it's the exact opposite. Theoretically a bigger wheel should provide better braking for the exact reasons you mentioned.

Things to consider vis-a-vis your GS:
1. Tyre pressure. Too hard and you have less grip.
2. Type of tyre. A Scorpion doesn't have the grip of, say, a TKC.
3. Strength of rear brake, ie, maybe you need to recalibrate your right foot to apply less force as to avoid locking up.

Ja, the KTM990R is a beast. If it had tubeless tyres I might have owned a KTM long time ago.

Who knows what the future will bring?
Nee Jaco, hoe kan jy dink om iets anders as jou HP te ry?Veral met daai nuwe HPN op :thumleft:

Nee, ek praat van laaaank in die toekoms in!  :biggrin:

Ek gaan nooit die HP2 verkoop nie, so 'n ander bike sal 'n tweede nommertjie wees.
"The test of a man is not the forum nor the field; not the marketplace nor the amen corner, but at his own fireside. There he lays aside his mask, and you may judge whether he be imp or angel, king or cur, hero or humbug." -  William Cowper Brann

Offline 2 Stroke Dan

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT600
  • bekyk die wereld deur n opgewasemde bril.
« Reply #67 on: October 02, 2010, 06:36:29 pm »
Hi-jack; a knobbly tyre has theoretically less rubber on the dirt than a D/S tyre, yet more grip with a full knobbly. Jacko might have a point. Hi-jack off.
As ek jy was sou ek nie so gelyk het nie.

Offline Rynet

• Vendors
  • Race Dog
« Reply #68 on: October 02, 2010, 06:44:06 pm »
Sorry for the High-Jack  :o : Welcome back 2 Stroke Dan  :thumleft:, we missed you   :biggrin:

Offline 2 Stroke Dan

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT600
  • bekyk die wereld deur n opgewasemde bril.
« Reply #69 on: October 02, 2010, 06:55:25 pm »
Thanks Rynet, most appreciated.
As ek jy was sou ek nie so gelyk het nie.

Offline chicco

• Grey hound
  • Never give up.
« Reply #70 on: October 03, 2010, 06:50:31 pm »
die grootste verskil tussen die KTM en die GS is die roetes waarop hulle ry, Die KTM ry meer rooi roetes en die GS meer groen roetes..... :peepwall:

KLR650, KTM 950, KTM 950S, KTM 990, KTM 990S, KTM 990R

Offline SGB

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • 1190R / 1200 GS LC / Husaberg TE 300
    • DS Rider Training
« Reply #71 on: October 03, 2010, 07:31:14 pm »
Your first bike can be anything - just get a bike.  It is normally the biggest one you can afford, and the one that makes your heart pump petrol.  Once you start riding, the type of ride you enjoy / do most will guide you to the right bike for your purpose.  All the science and explanations are from someone else's viewpoint, no good for you..... There is no substitute for life long learning and time in the saddle.  (skill = knowledge + experience).
www.countrytrax.co.za

Riding a bike is not just about riding the bike....
Do not believe everything you think....

Offline Crop Sprang

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • Mark It Zero
« Reply #72 on: October 03, 2010, 07:35:05 pm »
Your first bike can be anything - just get a bike.  It is normally the biggest one you can afford, and the one that makes your heart pump petrol.  Once you start riding, the type of ride you enjoy / do most will guide you to the right bike for your purpose.  All the science and explanations are from someone else's viewpoint, no good for you..... There is no substitute for life long learning and time in the saddle.  (skill = knowledge + experience).

+1000000000

Well Said SGB
Whatever you're thinking, think the opposite

Offline FatOldSun

• Pack Dog
« Reply #73 on: October 03, 2010, 08:36:37 pm »
I had the oppertunity to ride Ball$Chain's 990R at the CABC this week-end.  I found the R's seat very comfortable.

For my 50c, you got it completely wrong with the seat, it's NOT comfortable; even the quality of the seat is well below par to the rest of the motorbike, when I took is apart the other day, sure I saw a "Made in China" sticker on the seat somewhere, (or something similar, I will have a look and get my fact correct before someone tells me that I am talking rubbish, but NO, I would change the seat, just need to look at the options available, I ordered some options, not too many, will wait and see, report back on the seat situation, I want to do a long trip, need to get it right.
'celebrate we will cuz life is short but sweet for certain...'  Dave Matthews

Offline JacoM

« Reply #74 on: October 04, 2010, 09:20:36 am »
I had the oppertunity to ride Ball$Chain's 990R at the CABC this week-end.  I found the R's seat very comfortable.

For my 50c, you got it completely wrong with the seat, it's NOT comfortable; even the quality of the seat is well below par to the rest of the motorbike, when I took is apart the other day, sure I saw a "Made in China" sticker on the seat somewhere, (or something similar, I will have a look and get my fact correct before someone tells me that I am talking rubbish, but NO, I would change the seat, just need to look at the options available, I ordered some options, not too many, will wait and see, report back on the seat situation, I want to do a long trip, need to get it right.

Ball&Chain's 990R had a black seat on. Mayby an aftermarket one or was there an improvemnet done by KTM to the seat when the 990R was introduced? It felt comfortable to me.

SGB, not clear on your comment. I have a bike and had lots of offroad bikes in the last 30 years. The reason I am "looking around" is because I want something with higher groundclearance + better offroad suspension. I am trying to make an "informed descision" by testing a few. I have small kids so the type of riding I do is also changing and "touring" is fast becoming "luxury" in my life!

My comments re the grip (in my view the same type of rubber) is too theoretical - I admit that. B&Chain cleared that for us with his comment re the tyre pressure. My other comments were made trying to explain my experience without any emotion! Points that stood out:
-With the slightest revs the internal forces of the engine "pulls" the bike in an upright position.
-I was surpriced about the weight of the 990R
-Lekka suspension + 21'front
-narrow handle bars- Can wider bars be fitted and is there anyone on the forum that acctually did this?

Offline SGB

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • 1190R / 1200 GS LC / Husaberg TE 300
    • DS Rider Training
« Reply #75 on: October 04, 2010, 10:20:23 pm »
SGB, not clear on your comment. I have a bike and had lots of offroad bikes in the last 30 years. The reason I am "looking around" is because I want something with higher groundclearance + better offroad suspension. I am trying to make an "informed descision" by testing a few. I have small kids so the type of riding I do is also changing and "touring" is fast becoming "luxury" in my life!
My comment is not specifically aimed at you, just added it as a general view after reading all the comments.  You seem to have all it takes to make an informed and sound decision, no doubt.  Everyone who eventually grows to this advanced stage end up buying a 990.  Once you do that, you stop thinking about your dream bike.... Try it.....  :biggrin: ;D
www.countrytrax.co.za

Riding a bike is not just about riding the bike....
Do not believe everything you think....

Offline navigator

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
  • Wurg die kalkoen!
    • http://www.summerhousebb.co.za
« Reply #76 on: October 04, 2010, 11:04:18 pm »

and

Then you must take=

And if you like

and

Then you must take=

Very good - no - brilliant 2T!
Beware of life's two great impostors; Victory and Defeat.