990R vs GS - first impressions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JacoM

Race Dog
WD Supporter
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS HP2
I had the oppertunity to ride Ball$Chain's 990R at the CABC this week-end. Some old and some (I hope) new comments?
- Superior offroad suspension and grounclearance on the R (Punt!)

The handle bars are very narrow. I feld less in control when I got up on the pegs, due to the height of  the bike and the narrow bars. (less leverage). MAybe this explains why more GS riders stand up? The narrow seat makes it possible to shift your weight without having to stand up as on the GS. I found the R's seat very comfortable.

The engine is more responsive and revs very easily. The configuration of the pistons (upright V) has a very important impact on handling on dirt - AS the engine picks up speed, it "forces" the bike upright. I tested it on a very sandy patch and the R is a pleasure in sand! The bike is "forced" upright with the slightest engine revs and, in conjuction with the 21' front wheel, suspension and different weight distribution it was much easier to handle in the thick sand.

The only "negatives" I found was the following.
It was suprisingly heavier to pick up than the 1200GS. (Higher centre of gravity with even taller suspension to blame).
On the open dirt road I found it has less"stopping power". The back wheel slides easier with the brakes on - maybe the bigger wheel to blame which reduce grip?
(Grip is a funtion of weight and contact surface area. Bigger wheel=larger contact surface area and asuming the same friction coefficent leads to "less" grip)
Engine "wear and tear" is a function of engine speed, so the "higher reving" engine might have a shorter "life expectansy?

Must be said my "test ride" was only about 30minutes, so maybe I have it completely wrong?