Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: KTM 640 - Dedicated thread  (Read 2045 times)

Offline blauth

KTM 640 - Dedicated thread
« on: October 02, 2010, 10:41:51 pm »
I have just bought a 2005 640, 4500km and I have a few questions:

1) What is everyone going on about with the vibes? Hasn't bothered me yet. The motor does however sounds like a bucket of bolts being shook around. Is this normal? I have a Honda Transalp too (TA700) that is incredibly quiet in comparison. This worries me because I have read about main bearing issues on this bike. With this kind of mileage, I am not expecting any engine issues.
2) It still has the stock pipe and the bike feels really flat in the lower revs? I stuggle to lift her in second even with the clutch. I must note that I am 2000m above see level (Jhb). It also seems to have a flat spot around 5000rpm
3) It's got a SW-Motec side stand. What a load of crap!!! You have to be careful it doesn't take your leg off because it springs back so fast. It's already sheared the mounting bolt off the side stand bracket. Scrap metal IMHO!!!
4) If I idle at the traffic light for a minute or two and pull off, she dies. Starts fine again right away but it's clearly a jetting issue. Pilot jet too small or big?
5) The headlights resemble Chrismas tree lights. They glow but are really ineffective. I think I will have to do an HID conversion on them.

I rode a mate of mine's a few days back with an acropovic pipe and it's a different bike. That is first on the list of goodies and a scotts dampner is next.

Some opinions from others who own this bike would be great.

I will post some pics tomorrow....
« Last Edit: October 04, 2010, 04:35:28 pm by blauth »

Offline 2 Stroke Dan

• Bike: Yamaha XT600
  • bekyk die wereld deur n opgewasemde bril.
Re: KTM 640 Adventure - Dedicated thread
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2010, 04:22:43 pm »
640 is a great bike, motor could be stronger around the main bearings, but with care they last well. The vibration is a non-issue and these complaints are mostly baseless. I've done a lot of kms on 640's and vibes are acceptable. Still the best option for a complete adventure bike.
As ek jy was sou ek nie so gelyk het nie.

Offline 2 Stroke Dan

• Bike: Yamaha XT600
  • bekyk die wereld deur n opgewasemde bril.
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2010, 04:26:31 pm »
Sorry, I forgot, congratulations on your purchase, enjoy it!!
As ek jy was sou ek nie so gelyk het nie.

Offline goingnowherequickly

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2010, 09:47:02 am »
Got the same bike & love it to bits...
Unfortunately in the shop right now - big end failure .... KTM SA has helped me with a goodwill claim - think I was just unlucky to have it go at 30 000kms..
Agree with you about the stand, knocked my foot out when it was still new, and fallen over when idling, spring gets a bit softer in time tho...
perhaps consider a Leo Vince pipe , great pipe & makes a huge difference ,a lot easier on the wallet too...
 Like to see how to do the HID conversion..
Enjoy

Offline domstes

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2010, 10:03:18 am »
Hi

I know this is a link to another board, but the info on this page should answer most of your questions. It is also nicely indexed.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86958
« Last Edit: October 04, 2010, 10:07:39 am by domstes »

Offline Rat Man

• Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2010, 10:12:37 am »
Any suggestions for good affordable services for our beloved LC4's in KZN?

Offline Panjo

• In Exile
  • Getting ready for the Adventure!
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2010, 12:12:45 pm »
Nice one. Sorry, 640 LC4 Enduro rider here. So because I don't have the BEEEG tank and the Funny headlights means I'm excluded from participating in this thread  ???

KTM 990 Adventure ABS
BMW 1150 GSA "DAS PEEG"
Vespa 150 PX -Sold
KTM 950 Adventure S  - Dark Knight -Sold
KTM 640-e -Sold Klr 650 -Sold kle 500 -Sold BMW C1-200 Exec -Sold BMW C1-125 - Sold

Offline AntonW

• Bike: KTM 640 Adventure
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2010, 01:43:51 pm »
My 640 has done 60000km ( I got it with 27000Km) and now for the second time, first at +/- 33000km and now a gain the inlet rocker roller seized destroying the top of the motor. The first occasion the top was a right off and thanks to Rufus I manged to get a complete new top. This one has done the same thing. I have only had the bike serviced by KTM. I asked on both occassions as to the cause and I am still waiting for an answer.

The other problem has been electrical, which I put down more to wear and tear.

I have done the HID conversion. I had Krogs do the work, so they supplied the units (2) and added a rectifier so when switching to high beam the the low beam stays on. This cost me +/- R1500.00.

Check the rear suspension linkage for wear and insure it is well maintained. MP did a service and battled like hell to get it apart, all due to poor maintenance.

I love the bike even with the problems I have had.
Henry Kissinger is said to have once opined that "academic debates are so bitter because the stakes are so low.

" It's only when you see a mosquito landing on your testicles that you
realise that there is always a way to solve problems without using violence "

Offline blauth

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2010, 04:36:20 pm »
Nice one. Sorry, 640 LC4 Enduro rider here. So because I don't have the BEEEG tank and the Funny headlights means I'm excluded from participating in this thread  ???

Better?  [changed title]   ;)

Offline blauth

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2010, 04:40:50 pm »
My 640 has done 60000km ( I got it with 27000Km) and now for the second time, first at +/- 33000km and now a gain the inlet rocker roller seized destroying the top of the motor. The first occasion the top was a right off and thanks to Rufus I manged to get a complete new top. This one has done the same thing. I have only had the bike serviced by KTM. I asked on both occassions as to the cause and I am still waiting for an answer.

The other problem has been electrical, which I put down more to wear and tear.

I have done the HID conversion. I had Krogs do the work, so they supplied the units (2) and added a rectifier so when switching to high beam the the low beam stays on. This cost me +/- R1500.00.

Check the rear suspension linkage for wear and insure it is well maintained. MP did a service and battled like hell to get it apart, all due to poor maintenance.

I love the bike even with the problems I have had.

So would you suggest a preventative replacement of that rocker bearing at 30k km? I am sure the replacement cost of a rocker bearing is significantly cheaper than a head.

My bike only has 4700km on it now and the thing really sounds rattly. All my mates who have had them assure me it's normal so I hope they are right. I have done about 200km on it and it's already pulling better. I think it just needs a little bit of KTM love........wide open throttle!!! >:D

Offline Panjo

• In Exile
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2010, 09:41:00 am »
640 is a great bike, motor could be stronger around the main bearings, but with care they last well. The vibration is a non-issue and these complaints are mostly baseless. I've done a lot of kms on 640's and vibes are acceptable. Still the best option for a complete adventure bike.

Exactomundo! Oil change, Oil change Oil change. My bike vibrates but I'm used to it now. When I get on another bike, like a twin, it kinda feels strange not feeling the bike "Purr" below me. Torque is there in bucket loads. Power is available all the way through the gears. Suspension fantastic and the ground clearance make other DS bikes look like Crocodiles.

PS Thanks for changing the thread title  :3some:
KTM 990 Adventure ABS
BMW 1150 GSA "DAS PEEG"
Vespa 150 PX -Sold
KTM 640-e -Sold Klr 650 -Sold kle 500 -Sold BMW C1-200 Exec -Sold BMW C1-125 - Sold

Offline Panjo

• In Exile
Re: KTM 640 - Dedicated thread
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2010, 01:15:52 pm »
Can anybody help? In the manual for the LC 4, it's states that when the fuel in the tank reaches a certain level, the trip meter will change to the F(Fuel) mode screen and you can monitor how many Km's you are doing. I was under the impression that an idiot light should light up as well.

I actually ran out of fuel, and ended up stranded on the side of the road because I was assuming that only once the idiot light came on, would I need to worry about fuel? Suffice to say, No Idiot lite ever came on or display changing to the Fuel Mode screen and I ran out of fuel. I was begining to think that i was riding a Diesel at one stage  :biggrin:

So, I've been looking at the tank, and I have had it off once or twice since since then, and I cannot see how my fuel tank, can notify the dashboard (Electronically or Manualy) regarding the fuel situation. Is it because I have the enduro model and this functionality is only available on the Adventure ?

Your help and advise is appreciated as always

Panjo

KTM 990 Adventure ABS
BMW 1150 GSA "DAS PEEG"
Vespa 150 PX -Sold

Offline Doerengone

• doc, see its like this...my avatar left me- again.
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2010, 03:36:18 pm »

Yo Panjo.
You probably ran out of fuel because you had the fuel petcock already on the reserve position. On mine, I ride on the normal ''on '' position untill the light goes on. Then you have a km or two in which to switch over to reserve position. On reserve you could do say 50km.
KTM640 Adv, R1100GS.

Offline Panjo

• In Exile
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2010, 03:44:50 pm »
Thanks Doerengone but that's the thing... Before I changed the petcock to reserve I did not bet a warning lite. All that warns me is an engine surge and loss of power till I eventually change to reserve.
KTM 990 Adventure ABS
BMW 1150 GSA "DAS PEEG"
Vespa 150 PX -Sold

Offline Doerengone

• doc, see its like this...my avatar left me- again.
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2010, 03:48:55 pm »
Ok, my mistake.  Maybe the bulb has blown or the sensors moeg.
KTM640 Adv, R1100GS.

Offline Panjo

• In Exile
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2010, 04:06:30 pm »
Aha. So that's the key. Where is this sensor located?
KTM 990 Adventure ABS
BMW 1150 GSA "DAS PEEG"
Vespa 150 PX -Sold

Offline Panjo

• In Exile
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2010, 02:02:43 pm »
Can anybody help? In the manual for the LC 4, it's states that when the fuel in the tank reaches a certain level, the trip meter will change to the F(Fuel) mode screen and you can monitor how many Km's you are doing. I was under the impression that an idiot light should light up as well.

I actually ran out of fuel, and ended up stranded on the side of the road because I was assuming that only once the idiot light came on, would I need to worry about fuel? Suffice to say, No Idiot lite ever came on or display changing to the Fuel Mode screen and I ran out of fuel. I was begining to think that i was riding a Diesel at one stage  :biggrin:

So, I've been looking at the tank, and I have had it off once or twice since since then, and I cannot see how my fuel tank, can notify the dashboard (Electronically or Manualy) regarding the fuel situation. Is it because I have the enduro model and this functionality is only available on the Adventure ?

Your help and advise is appreciated as always

Panjo

BUMP....640 owners??? Any ideas

KTM 990 Adventure ABS
BMW 1150 GSA "DAS PEEG"
Vespa 150 PX -Sold

Offline AntonW

« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2010, 02:33:59 pm »
The petcock has 3 positions. When it is vertical it is off. With the arrow facing down it is on and arrow facing up it is on reverve. Always ride with it in the down position. When you feel the bike running out of fuel switch to the reserve (facing up) position. you should have about 2 liters left = +/- 30k's
Henry Kissinger is said to have once opined that "academic debates are so bitter because the stakes are so low.

Offline Panjo

• In Exile
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2010, 02:41:15 pm »
Sure AntonW thanks, but do you not get a idiot light lighting up on your dash and does the  trip meter switch to the Fuel Mode? Like it says in the owners manual?
« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 02:41:37 pm by Panjo »
KTM 990 Adventure ABS
BMW 1150 GSA "DAS PEEG"
Vespa 150 PX -Sold

Offline AntonW

« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2010, 11:03:15 pm »
Yes it does, when I first got my 640 the light came on before I need to switch to reserve and now after. Don't know why but does not trouble me. I do love the 640.

As for the problem with the inlet roller it could be caused by long high speed riding so I am told.I have done lots of that at times