Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: KTM 640 - Dedicated thread  (Read 2031 times)

Offline Runner

• Forum Vendor
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
  • Willearea
    • Off Road Cycles
Re: KTM 640 - Dedicated thread
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2010, 12:19:23 pm »
My first bearing lasted 6000km, it started out as a tappet noise,  I checked the tappets, and the intake was to loose, so it got adjusted, and the noise was gone, but within 100km it was back, again the intake was to loose, and I then took the tappet cover off and saw the fucked bearing which I replaced and sold the bike on 27000km with that bearing still in.I have relaced a lot of them on customers bikes, but as to the cuase, I can only speculate, maybe low oil level or to little oil pressure.Also the bearing on the exh side is a lot wider so it will last, so maybe the intake bearing is under- desighned.
Sweet
OFFROAD CYCLES:
For all your Offroad and Adventure Motorcycle needs.
Conrad Koen 012 333 6443 | info@offroadcycles.co.za
22 Blesbok Ave, Koedoespoort Industrial, Pretoria.

Offline Runner

• Forum Vendor
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
  • Willearea
    • Off Road Cycles
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2010, 12:37:35 pm »
If you get it early enough you can get away with only the bearing,  but I have replaced rockers and a cam because of it, but never a complete head.
OFFROAD CYCLES:
For all your Offroad and Adventure Motorcycle needs.
Conrad Koen 012 333 6443 | info@offroadcycles.co.za
22 Blesbok Ave, Koedoespoort Industrial, Pretoria.

Offline AntonW

• Bike: KTM 640 Adventure
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2010, 01:03:58 pm »
The time I replaced the head due to a large hole, the inlet had been replaced a short time before but not the rocker arm which.I suspect needed replacing and. Was not replaced. This time there was a large crack in the rocker arm. The cam was badly worn and had to be replaced.I have asked what the cause is and to date have not got a reponse from the KTM factory.
Henry Kissinger is said to have once opined that "academic debates are so bitter because the stakes are so low.

" It's only when you see a mosquito landing on your testicles that you
realise that there is always a way to solve problems without using violence "

Offline blauth

« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2010, 08:16:20 pm »
After owning my bike for a short amount of time, I have a few distinct dislikes, not too many likes so hopefully most dislikes can be turned into likes with a few mods.

Firstly... The rims are sooooooft. VERY soft!!! Excel narrow rims is the answer....I think. Looking at about R1800.00 for the front wheel.
Secondly... The bike suffers from some serious headshake. Is this normal or do I need to put a damper on the bike. Any feedback here would be great.
Thirdly... I can live with the vibration...the rattly engine is very annoying.

Having said all that, here is some eye candy for this thread.....

Offline goingnowherequickly

« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2010, 05:07:01 pm »
Any luck with the HID & dual light on high beam conversion...
Id appreciate some info on this.... preferably a kzn based shop..
fanks

Offline blauth

« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2010, 08:43:28 pm »
I went on a pretty neat ride today, pretty technical, riding over the mountain, some rocky paths, some superb winding jeep track, some rail road service roads and of course some dirt roads.

On the dirt road, it's not so cool. I want to know from those of you who own 640 adventures if they have steering head shake problems with their bikes. Mine just has to hit a tiny little stone and it shakes so violently that I almost crap in my pants. I stiffened up the compression damping which helped marginally but not much. Front wheel seems ok on the tar i.e. it feels balanced.

Is this normal? A mate of mine has a similar issue on his KTM990.

Is it something wrong with front suspension? The clickers are set teh same both sides. Perhaps the oil level or weight or something like that is differentin either fork.
Is it possible the back suspension? With sirt bikes, this is quite often caused from the back.

I need some help and advice here.

Offline Malibu

• Bachelor Dog
  • Just a girl on a bike!
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2010, 07:50:07 am »
Took mine for a ride along the Swazi border Saturday, so, round trip of 1200km's plus, did not get one head-shake.  Tar, dirt or tracks. 

I think she is set-up pretty much to standard setting on front and rear suspension, only had her 3 weeks now and have not really got into all the setting details yet, but shall do so some time when I get 2 seconds.

She seems to leap onto dirt and just perform... only thing I had was a few very small wash-outs on the front, but I think that's cos the tyres are pretty much in need of new rubber.   I ran her down the Belembu - Barberton road, which is fantastic, with serious switch-backs and a few really cool high-speed corners, pushed her apparently up to 140+ and there is no sign of any chicken strips on the wheels anymore, and did not have one moment of shudder or bar slap...

So, dunno what's happening with your bike. 
They call me Judy or Judes...

You need chaos in your soul to birth a shining star!

Offline Malibu

• Bachelor Dog
  • Just a girl on a bike!
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2010, 08:19:29 am »
Couple of pics from the weekend...
They call me Judy or Judes...

You need chaos in your soul to birth a shining star!

Offline Li

• Bike: Triumph 800 XC
« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2010, 08:54:07 am »
I have had mine for 5 months now, got it at 8000 km's, now done just over 12000 km's.  All dirt technical and dirt highways.  When I first took her offroad I did suffer from headshake, got a fright on some of the loose rutted sections.  I set all suspension/compression to default as per manual  She has been great since, done about 3000km's on her since the changes, no more unstable/unruly behaviour.  Perhaps try starting as I did, from default manual settings, go from there?  Whoever you bought the bike from, obviously set the settings up for their weight and riding style, it suited them, now you set it to suit you? I do not have any steering damper on.
Just a thought, I am not the most technical person, this advise came from Blazes and Runner and it really did help?   :thumleft:
Time decides who you meet in life. The heart decides who you want in your life. Behaviour decides who remains in your life......

Offline blauth

« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2010, 11:10:28 am »
I have had mine for 5 months now, got it at 8000 km's, now done just over 12000 km's.  All dirt technical and dirt highways.  When I first took her offroad I did suffer from headshake, got a fright on some of the loose rutted sections.  I set all suspension/compression to default as per manual  She has been great since, done about 3000km's on her since the changes, no more unstable/unruly behaviour.  Perhaps try starting as I did, from default manual settings, go from there?  Whoever you bought the bike from, obviously set the settings up for their weight and riding style, it suited them, now you set it to suit you? I do not have any steering damper on.
Just a thought, I am not the most technical person, this advise came from Blazes and Runner and it really did help?   :thumleft:

Li, I think that's the most practical starting point that I will try. Another thing I am going to do is fit new tyres. I have the original Sahara tyres on it still. It will be a few weeks before I can give it a test because next weekend if 94.7 and I am off to the roof the following week. I will give some feedback after I have tested.

Offline AntonW

« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2010, 03:09:39 pm »
I have done +30000km and only time i have had a problem was after fitting a new front Tyre which disappears very quickly. Check your suspension settings, go back to standard and work from there. Remember to service the linkages on the rear shock. MP battled like hell to get it apart. My front rim laughs rather than smiles and still causes no wobbles or shakes
Henry Kissinger is said to have once opined that "academic debates are so bitter because the stakes are so low.

" It's only when you see a mosquito landing on your testicles that you
realise that there is always a way to solve problems without using violence "

Offline blauth

« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2010, 05:12:42 pm »
I have done +30000km and only time i have had a problem was after fitting a new front Tyre which disappears very quickly. Check your suspension settings, go back to standard and work from there. Remember to service the linkages on the rear shock. MP battled like hell to get it apart. My front rim laughs rather than smiles and still causes no wobbles or shakes

I have a smiley or two but they are really not bad. Lets go back to standard settings and see how that works out. What tyre pressures are you running. I was running it at road pressures i.e. about 2 bar.

It feels vague in corners with that pressure but that's understandable. I am very relieved to hear that you guys don't have issues. It's not a general problem with the geometry of the bike then.

Thanks for the help.

Offline blauth

« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2010, 07:08:18 pm »
I have had mine for 5 months now, got it at 8000 km's, now done just over 12000 km's.  All dirt technical and dirt highways.  When I first took her offroad I did suffer from headshake, got a fright on some of the loose rutted sections.  I set all suspension/compression to default as per manual  She has been great since, done about 3000km's on her since the changes, no more unstable/unruly behaviour.  Perhaps try starting as I did, from default manual settings, go from there?  Whoever you bought the bike from, obviously set the settings up for their weight and riding style, it suited them, now you set it to suit you? I do not have any steering damper on.
Just a thought, I am not the most technical person, this advise came from Blazes and Runner and it really did help?   :thumleft:

I thought I would give a little feedback on my headshake problem:
I did the following:
- I set the suspension settings back to what the manual says is the default.
- I also set the preload on the back spring way soft so that the back of the bike sags quite a bit more thus reducing the rake.
- I binned the crappy sahara tyre and put on a knobbly (Dunlop something or other) that came off my yamaha WR450.

The head shake problem was pretty much gone however having said that, for peace of mind, I would fit a damper if I kept the bike. I have however regrettibly sold her (despite being very happy with it now) for other reasons.

Ooh, and if you haven't fitted a pipe on your bike, go out tomorrow and fit one. I fitted an FMF pipe and what a difference!!!!! Different bike.

Here's a pic:
« Last Edit: December 07, 2010, 07:22:03 pm by blauth »