KTM 640 - Dedicated thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blauth

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
AJS (all models)
I have just bought a 2005 640, 4500km and I have a few questions:

1) What is everyone going on about with the vibes? Hasn't bothered me yet. The motor does however sounds like a bucket of bolts being shook around. Is this normal? I have a Honda Transalp too (TA700) that is incredibly quiet in comparison. This worries me because I have read about main bearing issues on this bike. With this kind of mileage, I am not expecting any engine issues.
2) It still has the stock pipe and the bike feels really flat in the lower revs? I stuggle to lift her in second even with the clutch. I must note that I am 2000m above see level (Jhb). It also seems to have a flat spot around 5000rpm
3) It's got a SW-Motec side stand. What a load of crap!!! You have to be careful it doesn't take your leg off because it springs back so fast. It's already sheared the mounting bolt off the side stand bracket. Scrap metal IMHO!!!
4) If I idle at the traffic light for a minute or two and pull off, she dies. Starts fine again right away but it's clearly a jetting issue. Pilot jet too small or big?
5) The headlights resemble Chrismas tree lights. They glow but are really ineffective. I think I will have to do an HID conversion on them.

I rode a mate of mine's a few days back with an acropovic pipe and it's a different bike. That is first on the list of goodies and a scotts dampner is next.

Some opinions from others who own this bike would be great.

I will post some pics tomorrow....