Wedding Ride

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr. Python

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Yamaha XT 660 Z
So my old man calls me up and tells me he's getting married on the long weekend. About 8 days notice typical, was wondering if he got her knocked up (muhaha - they're both in their mid 60's) Desperately been looking for a place to unload that one-liner  >:D
Anyway - he lives in Knysna.
Cool rides there but need to take family also limited time.. mmm

So I pull a project off one of the back burners of my mind - Convert my camping trailer into a bike trailer. The license disk say's "home built" how cool is that
I take some measurements climb on the CAD work up a design, find mudguards at plastics for africa and give the concept to a pal who welds for a living.
Then I found a half-made tail board at Mica and the rest of the components too. All the electrics are built into the fiberglass box so i had to start from scratch.
Yihaa there were 7 wires in the cord when i stripped it  ???  ???
But Google is your friend and got it all flashing right 1st time.
This was the result:
biketrailer.jpg

Works like a charm and the whole thing weighs about 50kg

So we pack it up and head for knysna - 8hr trip thanks to the stop go dudes.
Stayed in a cottage on an awesome farm in Rheenedal at the top of the Homtini pass (same road Cassie Botha takes to work sometimes)
For the balistically minded, there's a shooting range and a gun-shop on the farm. Andy also does competency courses so you could do your tests and get in some awesome rides at the same time.
Cost R350 a night for all 5 of us and this is the view from the deck:
Deck.jpg

from higher up:
Arival.jpg

and a little to the left, molslang making adjustments to the monster:
Molslang.jpg

The place is surrounded by forests so early the next morning molsalng and I headed out to try out the forest roads and fire breaks.
It was an awesome ride with mud and water and steep climbs and drop offs, those forest trucks really chew on the roads there. Molslang did really well, handled that little machine like a pro, alas i forgot cell so no pics
You could spend the whole day just exploring.
But we were there for the wedding..

So Falcon and I headed to Knysna to get coffee and a gift, so it was through the homtini pass and on to knysna via the phantom pass.. and back.
Phantompass.jpg

Homtini.jpg

Phontom1.jpg

I'm sure Falcon was thinking ...
dirtybikesthoughts.jpg

yeah right  >:D
That's not my black lable by the way ...
Hey check out the teamwork The gift is strapped to the XT and falcon is carrying the paper.
HomtiniBridge.jpg

When we got back to the farm molslang took us on a tour round the farm and down to on of the little dams.
Falcon went belting wildly across the pastures, there some surprises under the grass but she handled the all with gusto and grace.
She had the back wheel sliding with a bit of airtime here and there and came back with a wrap around grin :biggrin:
Island.jpg

We were gonna rock up at the wedding on the bikes too but it started to rain a bit and neither of us have carried a pillion on dirt before so we went in the cage.
All in - a great day  ;D
Molsang thought the wedding was gross because of the old people kissing  :eek7:
Didn't hear any complaints about the food.
I met the owner of Mitchell's brewery there, cool dude and he donated a keg of bosuns and a keg of Forresters - my hero  >:D

On the way back we bumped into Piston Pete and Sprocket Bek looked like the'd been having a jol