Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Sani Pass and 9 Ural Sidecars  (Read 2668 times)

Offline Humfree

• Forum Vendor
  • Bike: Ural (all models)
  • GS Adventure Sidecar...
    • Sidecar Africa
Sani Pass and 9 Ural Sidecars
« on: October 06, 2010, 06:39:31 am »

September 2010
Never have more than two beers because up to two your sanity prevails. So it was that after more than two we decided to plan a trip to Sani Pass in Lesotho with our Ural sidecars. We got a lot of interest and ended up being nine rigs in all. The arrangements were made, accommodation booked and so the weekend arrived. We all met in Nottingham Road outside the Notties hotel and set off to Himeville along the lower Loteni dirt road to Himeville.

One of the rigs lost third gear (but was still driven and completed the trip) before we hit the dirt and another had a problem with electrics after the aftermarket immobiliser had been removed and the wiring left bare. It was going to be a long day!

We headed for Sani pass after breakfast at the Himeville Arms and the anticipation of what we were about to put ourselves and our trusty rigs through was palpable. After servicing one of the rigs air filter – funny how any machine runs better with a clean air filter – we arrived at the South African border control which was a total pleasure with very helpful officers.

The pass starts slowly from the border but soon bites you hard if you don’t have enough momentum after the tight corners. So it was that the monkeys had to begin earning their keep and push from time to time. The first stop was about half way up and we were pleased to have made it to there! We waited for a while for our machines to cool down as we had driven them hard slipping the clutch to keep moving after the tight corners and steep inclines. We waited for quite a while for the other Urals to catch up and off course there was a story – one of the rigs had come to a grinding halt on a steep section and started to slide back down. The following rig had tried to pass on the outside and they collided bringing the passing rig to a halt and he now also started sliding backwards and the sidecar was pushing him in the direction of the cliff! Fortunately the Ural angels were working hard and he hit the only tree in 200 meters witch stopped him from over the edge! With no damage and hearts pounding they set off to join us at the stop. The rider of the first stopped rig decided to load her rig onto the recovery trailer.

We set off from the stop again and one of the very determined riders managed to burn out his clutch on one of the very steep sections! Now he had to get to the top with no clutch – no problem – jettison the monkey! We all saw this and it was decided to do the last very steep section monkey less. This worked well as long as you stopped every now and then to let the trusty boxer motor, clutch etc cool down for a while. The surprise of the 4x4 drivers and fellow pass riders was huge when they saw the sidecar rigs and many photos were taken. A passing good Samaritan with a Toyota double cab gave one of the riders who suffers from vertigo a tow up the last steep bit and this inspired another 4x4 enthusiast to tow another one of the rigs to the top after its owner managed to heat seize the rig. The rig started fine once it had cooled down.

Four of the rigs made it to the top and two of them complete with monkeys. The one with no clutch was one of them after the determined rider figured out that you can put the rig in 1st gear and using the starter motor you can get going again, he completed the entire trip like this.

More than 2 beers were had that evening at Sani Top Chalets!

The next day we set off over the roof of Africa for our next overnight stop at Oxbow Lodge. We had all 9 rigs still running but the one with the removed immobiliser was running intermittently. We all made it over the Black Mountain pass and our monkeys enjoyed the walk up the steep sections as we had lost quite a bit of power because of the thin air at 3200 metres above sea level. Another of the riders managed to burn out his clutch along this section and he also had to use the, by now perfected, starter motor method to get going. The rider with vertigo managed about half way before leaving the road for a bit and it was decided to trailer his rig out of the mountains. The road varied from steep downhill dirt sections with tight turns to sections after Mokhotlong where the tar had been removed from the road surface to make the going easier. There were some sections where the tar had been kept and the riders got an earful from the monkeys as all pot holes could not be missed. We spent an enjoyable evening at Oxbow Lodge where more than two beers were consumed once again.

The next day we headed for the border and down Moteng pass which was quite a steep tarred pass and left Lesotho with 8 rigs running and one on the recovery trailer which had the immobiliser problem. A great time was had by all and we cannot wait for our next Ural sidecar adventure.

This numberplate was spotted one week after our Sani adventure.

Life is lived forwards but best understood backwards...

Offline Humfree

• Forum Vendor
    • Sidecar Africa
Re: Sani Pass and 9 Ural Sidecars
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2010, 06:42:25 am »
Some more Pics...

Offline Ama ride ride

• Gravel unlimited
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Zero (all models)
  • Ride to ride again
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2010, 06:46:29 am »
 :imaposer: :imaposer: A few dogs who made Sani a beeeeg issue is going to hang their heads in shame.

I really like this RR. And I love to have an Ural

Just a Q. Do the bikes actually have enough oomph to carry a passenger up Sani?
« Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 06:48:01 am by Ama ride ride »
Gewoontlik n@@i ek reguit aan op fyndraai.

Offline Brink

• Bike: Confederate (all models)
  • Knob
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2010, 06:51:54 am »
Well done guys and gals :thumleft:

I would also love an Ural - would prefer the one where the sidecar wheel can be engaged seperately to make it a 2x3 :mwink: but these are only available for the lefthand drive market.
I know nothing but I can not prove it,,,,,

Offline madmike999

• Bike: Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
  • www.studio88.co.za info@studio88.co.za
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2010, 07:09:35 am »
been waiting for this one :thumleft: :thumleft:

hope there are more images
'82 R100 RS,  '98 Africa Twin,  Vespa 180 Rally

Offline the_BOBNOB

• is not a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2010, 07:17:23 am »

+1

and another question do they last long enough to ride them to sani and back or do you need to trailer it to the bottom first  :peepwall:

Offline Humfree

• Forum Vendor
    • Sidecar Africa
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2010, 07:18:40 am »
:imaposer: :imaposer: A few dogs who made Sani a beeeeg issue is going to hang their heads in shame.

I really like this RR. And I love to have an Ural

If the "monkey" (sidecar passanger) is extreme and hangs on and leans like crazy the answer would be yes as 1 sidecar made it to the top complete with monkey. A father and son combination. For the rest of us it was a challange to get round the hairpins at the top with enough momentum to do the steep inclines that follow. Not all the sidecar enthusiasts that went on the trip were experienced off road riders... In all the rigs performed well and 2 wheel drive would have been a bonus but we can't get those models here unfortunately

Offline Ama ride ride

• Gravel unlimited
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Zero (all models)
  • Ride to ride again
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2010, 07:21:00 am »
Thanks humvee.

Thinking, I must invite my devil of a mother in law to be my monkey >:D
Gewoontlik n@@i ek reguit aan op fyndraai.

Offline Humfree

• Forum Vendor
    • Sidecar Africa
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2010, 07:26:00 am »
the-BOBNOB

We trailered to Betlehem and the drove to Nottingham road - Himeville via Lotheni dirt road - Sani Pass - Oxbo over black Mountain pass - out at Caledons Poort border post and back to Betlehem. 9 Urals started the trip and 8 Finished on their own - 2 without clutches that had been burnt out by over zealous riders and one had an electrical problem caused by an aftermarket immobilizer.

We only trailered to Betlehem to miss the holiday traffic as it was a long weekend...

Offline edgy

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: KTM 790 Adventure R
    • A Stone's Throw Bed & Breakfast
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2010, 07:28:30 am »
the-BOBNOB

We trailered to Betlehem and the drove to Nottingham road - Himeville via Lotheni dirt road - Sani Pass - Oxbo over black Mountain pass - out at Caledons Poort border post and back to Betlehem. 9 Urals started the trip and 8 Finished on their own - 2 without clutches that had been burnt out by over zealous riders and one had an electrical problem caused by an aftermarket immobilizer.

We only trailered to Betlehem to miss the holiday traffic as it was a long weekend...

Not to worry - Bobnob only likes his own bike......NOTHING else! :biggrin:
www.astonesthrow.co.za

BEER..."I drink it when I`m happy or when I`m sad. I drink it when I`m alone. When I have company I consider it obligatory. Trifle with it if I`m not hungry and drink it when I am. Otherwise, I never touch it - unless I`m thirsty"

Offline letsgofishing

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Suzuki DR-Z 400
  • Sedgefield, Garden Route
    • http://www.mikekaplandesign.com
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2010, 07:41:56 am »
THis is great stuff - the wife would love to get one!
It's areal pity we can't get the 2wd model here.
How about fitting an 1150 motor?  >:D
There is nothing you can do about the past and you can't predict the future...all you have is the now...live it to the fullest.

www.mikekaplandesign.com

Offline Hentie @ Riders

• Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2010, 07:57:15 am »
Dit wil gedoen wees  :thumleft:  :thumleft:

Offline JO GSA

• Bike: Yamaha XT660
  • XT660R Wheeeeeeeee......
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2010, 08:22:26 am »
Wow, baie goed gedoen julle.... maar ek moet byvoeg, toe ons die gevreesde Sani gedoen het was hy 100% slegter as op julle fotos, daai spesifieke draai wat julle so van bo afgeneem het, daar was n trap daar en 2 slote wat skuins van bo afgekom het. En om dit alles te kroon, het dit die hele tyd nog gereen ook.
a Great man is known by how he treats people that can't do anything for him.
Curry Blake

It's all good, all of the time.
Johan Smith

Offline the_BOBNOB

• is not a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2010, 08:27:15 am »
the-BOBNOB

Not to worry - Bobnob only likes his own bike......NOTHING else! :biggrin:

not true edgy - i love all things with 2 wheels (and in this case 3 wheels)  :ricky:

bit of a hijack but whats the difference between the ural and the cj ???

i know they are both copies of some 2nd world war bmw but how do the 2 compare - price/quality/reliability ???

Offline laurika

• hoessenaam van hydrabad...
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Yamaha XT660
  • helmet hair is very cool....everyone says so
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2010, 08:32:16 am »
wow. what an unusual adventure!!! fun pictures! thankyou.

"There is no happiness for him who does not travel...Therefore, wander... The fortune of him who is sitting sits, it rises when he rises, it sleeps when he sleeps, it moves when he moves... Therefore, wander!"...The Rig Veda - 800 - 600 BC..

bmw F650GS/ XT 660 R

Offline Diesel & Dust

• Bike: BMW F800GS
  • As die koppie klein is kak die hele lyf!!!
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2010, 08:51:23 am »
Man, that looks like fun :thumleft:

Well done to you all :thumleft:
I'll take the high road. You take the psycho path...

Offline Humfree

• Forum Vendor
    • Sidecar Africa
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2010, 08:59:53 am »
BOBNOB

The Urals made it to the top of Sani...

Offline GeoffB

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2010, 09:09:40 am »
Well done.

What are you guys going to do next.

Offline funacide

• Administrator
  • Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
    • Mediro Business Service Management
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2010, 09:49:39 am »
Hey Humfree (R)

Time to get Kevin to buy a Ural with side car so him and A can join in...

One day when the cash allows I will be getting one of them...

Well done and some really nice pics.
KTM 1190 ADV R

Offline domstes

« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2010, 09:59:54 am »
Absolutely BRILLIANT!  :thumleft: :thumleft:

I have to have a go on one of these one day!