My Very First Riding Lesson - Report

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
E

Extreme Velcro

After having introduced myself a while ago as a complete and absolute beginner newbie (just in case you didn't get that - very very new to all of this), I went for my first lesson.

It was a Saturday morning after an awful Friday, it was hot, hadn't slept well, was in a foul mood and really wanted to just pull out of this - why am I doing this, already did this when I was a kid, spent months on crutches, had five operatins, am afraid, this is stupid, I'm too old to start something new etc.etc - you know all the thoughts we have when we try something new or re-visit something that went wrong before.

Anyway, felt that I had made the commitment, so I couldn't back out and if I really hated it, could just go home. Arrived at the riding lesson area and was met by Max with his arm in a sling (Max being the instructor) and the person who is helping him out. Being female and now speaking to two men as well as one being young and cute (its great being a 46 year old lech) - there was no backing out; had to now prove something (heaven only knows what).

Got my instructions and didn't feel stupid or anything, which was great. Both instructors made me feel at ease and gave me a bit of a boost of confidence (not much, just a bit). Switched on, listened some more and let out the clutch and LURCHED off. And I mean lurched - I was all over the place, but at least I was moving forward (sort of). Feet still dangling in fresh air, but hey, was moving.

Did this again and again and again until felt comfortable enough to put feet on the pedals - all went well. Stalled once, but got the hang of it pretty quickly (maybe a bit of muscle memory from 25 years ago - who knows...). Started dong U-turns and that's where things went a bit wrong. Fear set right back in, shoulders went up to the ears in tension and couldn't hold any bloody line, straight or otherwise. Starting getting irritated again and felt ucomfortable, but they made me do it over and over and over, either running next to me or when I got too tense, changing over to teach me how to walk with bike and keep it balanced, the best method of picking it up if I drop it and other general bike related info and then made me get back on.

An hour later and I was getting the hang of it and believe it or not, starting to very much enjoy myself, then came practising gear changes - muscle memory kicked right in and something else and here is the big whoops - can hardly ride, but I do like something very very much - GOING FASTER !!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh yes - this is the good stuff. And I certainly got the hang of that very quickly, so I think I'm going to have a bit of a problem there......

Had to eventually end the lesson :( and could only get another appointment for two weeks from now :( , but what a jol. I can ride after one lesson - BADLY - couldn't stop grinning for most of Saturday (Sharks also won, so I think that also had something to do with it) and have already ordered hubby to buy me a 250 next weekend or at least find one SOONEST until I feel confident enough to buy my 660. I WANNA RIDE AND NOW NOW NOW !!!!!

Got a lot of advice about bikes in that range (No, will never buy a BMW - sorry), I think I have already pretty much made up my mind to buy the Yamaha. Maybe that will change when I feel confident enough to test ride the bikes, but already just like the way she looks.

Anyway, that's it - look forward to seeing you out on the road and may I jsut say, the instructors are great ! If anybody out there has someone who wants to learn, I can certainly recommend them.

And on a final note - WHEEEEEEEEEE !!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D