Sabie Mini GS Challenge

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gunner

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS Adventure
This weekend we had the pleasure of participating in the Sabie Mini GS Challenge hosted by Auto Alpina and Windmill Wine Shop. The event was limited to 100 particpants and was fully booked within a couple of days.

Whilst I know that there were some disparaging remarks about the weekend on the forum, I must say that it was simply awesome.

It was the first time that Joanne and I tried the pillion off-road thing and it was an amazing success. Not only did we manage to avoid any spills, it was great to be able to share the DS thing with her, normally I ride off-road on my own. I think that it will be getting difficult to slip off on my own in future, and one can not but help wondering if there isn?t a GS650 somewhere in our future?..

We planned a scenic route on tar (dare I say it) taking in Grobblersdal, Stoffberg, Steenkampsbergpas, Long Tom and the ?22? to the venue. I revelled in being able to take the bike on some really great twistys.

The bike was a lot heavier than I am used to but she handled like a dream.

Steemkampsbergpas was breathtaking, the highest road in Mpumulanga I believe.

The camp site was on the banks of the Sabie river at the Sabie Valley Coffee Farm (free coffee throughout the event ? great for a caffeine addict like me!).

Our spot next to the river.

The route was divided into the Green, Red and Black (extreme) routes. We travelled the Green route and it proved to be quite technical, especially since it was our first pillion off-road experience. Some of the other participants who had participated in last years GSAGS Challenge likened it more to the red route at the national event rather than the green route.

There was even a river crossing

Joanne and I along the route

There was also a skills challenge with some great prizes.

What I really came to appreciate was the awesome abilities of the 1200 GSA, I was able to try her out on some really twisty tar sections, some quite serious technical sections two up - and loaded to boot. Everything you would expect of a great DS bike.

Breaking camp after a wonderful weekend.

Would I attend next year? Try and stop us!