laurika makes a pass...or two...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laurika

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
Yamaha XT660
I remember passing the Normandiens pass sign  on the way back from our epic journey this year Cape to Joburg….and was told it must be done…
so the time arrived, I decided to to 7 passes after reading a ride report…perhaps foolish, but always good to dream.
I had no riding partner and was prepared but worried about doing it on my own…at the last moment, I got an offer from a WD that rides with Jules and Gunda, and who knows the area.

We departed (with his wife travelling by car) on Thursday afternoon, to overnight in Memel, and then start the passes on the Friday.
IMG_2265.jpg

IMG_2266.jpg

IMG_2272.jpg

At Memel, the beer  was cold, Martin as chatty as always, and the farmers pulled up with their pickups to attend the meeting on farm murders….every pickup had a dog waiting patiently….more khaki outfits than you can swing a stick at….I stayed in the honeymoon suite…it was amazing…and at R300 single pax, an absolute bargain.
IMG_2273.jpg

IMG_2291.jpg

IMG_2279.jpg
20freestate/IMG_2271.jpg[/IMG]
IMG_2287.jpg

IMG_2279.jpg

IMG_2271.jpg

We left at 8 the next morning after an excellent breakfast. The route took us past Blinkwater, Mullers pass , around to Normandiens pass…. The day was clear, and you could see up Gods skirts it was so pretty…. The roads where good, loose gravel, some rock , but nothing too serious….

At the foot of Normandiens we stopped, and you could see the pass crawling up the side of the escarpment…very exciting… the pass was tough, but as long as the throttle control remains even, you really cruise up it….even the concrete tracks were dry and no problem at all…only a pity I could not stop there…the view was amazing….

IMG_2309.jpg

IMG_2290.jpg

IMG_2311.jpg

IMG_2316.jpg
reestate/IMG_2315.jpg[/IMG]

We stopped at the top of Normandy’s…. I missed the swanniebraai that Deon DJ said they always use up there…it would have been amazing…the day was clear….my partner said that he has been there many times, and every time the weather is different…I would love to do this in the summer also..but am scared of the wet conditions.

IMG_2317.jpg

IMG_2321.jpg

Just past the Ngagane section, we had a beautiful smooth road, and my partner raced ahead…now ever since Johannesburg I have noticed his side stand would come out while he is riding..And even though he looked at it that morning, it would not be fixed….as I moved over a blind rise, there he was….bike down, clutching his arm

IMG_2324.jpg

IMG_2325.jpg

IMG_2327.jpg

IMG_2329.jpg

The side stand had come out as he ramped the rise,, and threw the bike at speed down, with him cart wheeling gat oor kop
I could see the marks , as he was uncertain what had happened…. He could not use his throttle hand , and his ankle was also very painful
After he took a break, and I photographed the clouds.. we got him back on the bike…and started for verkykers kop. We had planned to lunch there anyway, but chose a shorter  route there - S795

IMG_2337.jpg

IMG_2362.jpg

The road was hideous, with sharp rocks and just uncomfortable ride…my partner was in extreme pain, and every time he hit anything the vibration would go all the way up his arm…I gave him painkillers…kudos to him, he managed of sorts to take a 23 km journey in, and we arrived at the Inn

His wife met him at Verkykerskop, and he left his sturdy bike there. I continued on to Van Reenen….taking a detour on the S61 and narrowly missing DeBeers pass…as it was now already 15h00 I decided to wing it to Van reenen….

IMG_2369.jpg

IMG_2378.jpg

I missed riding Collins pass, Talana and De Beerhoekspruit road.. but this can be done another day I guess. I was exhausted.
to be continued.....

The Green Lantern Inn..what can I say, the beer is cold, the decoration reminds me of being frozen in time. Lou –the owner- has the warm personality of a frozen peacock…but his wife Maria more than made up for it….Stoked   to the gills with painkillers, we had lovely time in the bar…and an interesting dinner…in an interesting dining room.

IMG_2382.jpg

the bedrooms where like an agatha christy who dunnit spot...doilies, bible, blommerankskikkings, and biker boots...blomme everywhere....i took o many pics....

IMG_2392.jpg

IMG_2396.jpg

the ball room....

IMG_2403.jpg

the dining room....roast beef, gravy, veggies and potatoes....Gods food....

that was friday done.....

The next morning the mist was out in full force. I slept in, and pondered life, and had very little idea which way to ride next.

IMG_2409.jpg

IMG_2412.jpg

IMG_2415.jpg

IMG_2416.jpg

IMG_2417.jpg

IMG_2419.jpg

Deon from Bethlehem called, offered some help, and Tulie called and said I must come to the Pig-farm…as I met them both at the freestate bash, I took them up on their offer….

My partner and his wife left for Johannesburg, and I continued on to Kestel, took the dirt road that enters Montana pass in the Golden gate..I saw some fantastic dirt tracks, but could not afford to ride them on my own, as I was quite fragile by this time. How sad! Will go back.

IMG_2421.jpg

IMG_2432.jpg

Clarens was full of Johannesburg, I had a lamb curry, and a pint of cold beer….and made a bee for Bethlehem….
Deon DJ met me for another pint, spoke to some farmers at the local..and left for Tulies farm…
What a lovely spot, as long as the wind does not turn, you almost don’t smell the pigs….

09102010474.jpg

09102010475.jpg

IMG_2433.jpg

IMG_2439.jpg

IMG_2440.jpg

IMG_2459-1.jpg

IMG_2455-1.jpg

IMG_2464-1.jpg

09102010476.jpg

For ETS sake, I will also mention, TUlie has Blue crocks…he calls it Yamaha blue….it’s just the avroy slain bag that is missing….

I left the morning, and took the Tweeling-Reitz district road, it was less good..but still fun…from Reitz I took the tar, with a few stops, home….
The wind was a howler…I now know..when passing a truck, place your knee out so long….so the wind won’t push you too far over….on Sunday the wind was pushing me 2 meters across the road, with oncoming traffic….not good…

Thanks for J who inspired me to do this trip. I’ll do this one again.

Thanks Carene and Andre, Deon, Ian, Lee, Martin, Maria and Lew for making this trip so interesting, and such a surprise…I would never have planned it this way, but then..planning things just take the fun out of them…..

And thanks to Rob, for his enthusiasm and encouragement and skills, to continue .