Cars running red robots. What to do?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Riaanc

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1150GS
I have had a number of close calls the last week with cars running red lights in the Centurion area. 3 Times last week I had to abort a pull away from a robot due to cars running the red light.

This morning I had to visit a client in Woodmead. I decided to ride the Hartbeespoort-Fourways road and then up William Nicol and cut through to Woodmead after crossing the N1. I really enjoyed the ride through the hills and started driving slower. From Diepsloot onwards, I started changing at 3500 rpm, instead of the normal 5000. Pulling away from robots I did so at a much slower pace than normal, just making sure I do not obstruct the cars behind me.

Arriving at the robot at Fourways shopping center, I decided to turn right and check if a book I am waiting for has arrived at the bookstore.

I stood waiting in the left hand lane of the 2 lanes turning right. Next to me was a Merc Sprinter bus from the Indaba hotel. The light turned green, we moved up to the lines on the road, but could not cross as the oncoming traffic was flowing. The light turned red, the oncoming traffic stopped and the green arrow indicating right turning traffic may cross was active. I started my pull away. Suddenly, a cream Honda Ballade came barrelling through the left lane (oncoming side) and ran the red robot. I had just enough time to yank on the front brake. The car kept going and its rear bumper just touched the front wheel of the bike as it passes in front of me. I heard creams from onlookers on the pavement and from the Indaba hotel bus. The car kept going and sped off.

I nonchalantly waved my hand in the air in exasperation, and drove of to the parking lot at the shopping center. I parked Allison and the bus from the hotel parked behind me, the driver was shaking, he and his passengers could not believe I have survived. The Chinese/Japanese guys wanted to shake my hand as they said I am the luckiest person they know. From what I could understand, it appeared to them that I could not avoid being hit by the car, and it was a miracle.

It is now 5 hours later and I have the following that won’t give me peace:

Why did I start driving out of character a few kilometres before the incident? If I pulled away at my normal pace I would have been T-Boned and probably killed. That vehicle was travelling in excess of 100km/h.

What can we as motorcyclists do to prosecute drivers that run red lights? Is there some complaint (attempt to do bodily harm etc) I can report to the police if I have the vehicle particulars?

I am fixing a cheap video camera to my helmet tonight, and will run the camera every time I get on the bike. Just looking at a car speeding off should capture its number plate (if it has one).

Any suggestions?