Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Hey Honda fans, here's your new adventure bike - sucks to be you!  (Read 4126 times)

Offline the_wes

• Occasional Perpetrator
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Harley Davidson (all models)
    • Rather be Riding
Re: Hey Honda fans, here's your new adventure bike - sucks to be you!
« Reply #80 on: October 19, 2010, 02:53:32 pm »
This is not the 1200 at all.

you're probably right. i have attached a photo of what is probably more likely to be closer to the final bike...
 :peepwall:

Offline Trailrider

• Southern Cape
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Honda TransAlp XL700V
  • "Africa Twin Lite"
    • Trailrider
« Reply #81 on: October 19, 2010, 02:54:58 pm »
Bwaaaaahahahahaha!

Offline Trailrider

• Southern Cape
  • Bachelor Dog
  • "Africa Twin Lite"
    • Trailrider
« Reply #82 on: October 19, 2010, 02:55:43 pm »
The show is in two weeks. Then all will be revealed.

Offline the_wes

• Occasional Perpetrator
  • Forum Whore
    • Rather be Riding
« Reply #83 on: October 19, 2010, 02:57:16 pm »
yip: http://hellforleathermagazine.com/2010/10/honda-plans-naked-adventure/

Looks like Honda’s jumping on the tease bandwagon too. This is the second sketch of a new bike that Honda now says, “will have the flexibility and exciting attitude of a naked performance machine, with the upright riding position and rugged appearance of an adventure bike.” It also looks like this model will use a smaller capacity version of Honda’s new V4. The production version of this bike is destined for EICMA on 2 November, where Honda will also unveil a concept preview of another V4 model, this time using the 1200cc version of that engine.

This sketch shows the front fairing and headlight of this “crossover” motorcycle, something Honda claims it designed to foster both engine cooling and high-speed stability. Note the “floating” instrument cluster placed unusually high within the windshield, this arrangement should better enable the rider to use peripheral vision to monitor the instruments.

It’s sort of amazing how many takes on the adventure touring theme we’re seeing this year. The R1200GS that essentially invented the segment soldiers on, still dominating in both sales and performance, but literally every other bike maker now thinks they can twist its theme just enough to muscle into the segment. The Ducati Multistrada 1200 attempts this with superbike power, light weight and push-button electronic adjustability of its suspension, power delivery and traction control system. The Yamaha Super Tenere is also a more road-focussed bike, falling a bit flat with reportedly un-exciting performance. The Triumph Tiger 800 takes the novel approach of offering two versions pushed to the polar extremes of the segment: the Triumph Tiger 800 XC should be very capable off road, while the non-XC ditches the tubes and knobs for presumably superior on-road performance. Aprilia is even rumored to be getting in on the action.

The problem with all the above is that they push expanded features, complication and, as a result, reduced utility without offering anything fundamentally different to or better than that GS. Could Honda be playing a different game with this “crossover” malarky?

The word evokes lame car-based SUVs with more cupholders than off-road ability, but it’s no more revolutionary a concept that any of the above competition. The Ducati, Yamaha and non-XC Tiger are already essentially sports tourers with upright ergos more than they are bona fide dirt-capable machines. This teaser gives us no idea what Honda will be bringing to the segment other than some intrinsic Hondaness. In other years we’d applaud its mid-size engine, but the Tiger already appears to have that sewn up with the added advantage of a characterful, torquey, fast three-cylinder.

This machine appears to have been designed by Honda Italy, also responsible for the oddly-styled Honda CB1000R. If that hints at European production, it may also indicate that it’s unlikely the bike will make it across the Atlantic. Like the CB1000R, production in Europe simply makes bikes too expensive to sell with the currently deliberately depressed dollar.

In addition to this production machine, Honda also plans to show a concept based 1200cc V4. Here’s the official statement that accompanied this sketch:

Honda today released a second design sketch of the mid-range crossover motorcycle that expands its V4 engine configuration offering.

The image shows the front face of the motorcycle, with a fairing design that improves high speed stability as well as engine cooling; and an innovative ‘floating’ instrument panel to put the gauges in the rider’s field of vision for improves safety.

This crossover is a midrange capacity motorcycle – Honda will also reveal at EICMA a new concept motorcycle using the 1200cc V4 engine first seen in the VFR1200F, to further prove leadership in this evocative and powerful  engine configuration.

This mid-range machine is an exciting new approach – a crossover machine that represents the best aspects of two separate biking genres.  It will have the flexibility and exciting attitude of a Naked performance machine, with the upright riding position and rugged appearance of an adventure bike.

This mid-range machine is an exciting new approach – a crossover machine that represents the best aspects of two separate biking genres.  It will have the flexibility and exciting attitude of a Naked performance machine, with the more comfortable upright riding position and design cues inspired by adventure bikes.

With the low centre of gravity of a performance bike it is great fun to ride, and because of its wide handlebars and upright riding position it is both easy to manoeuvre and comfortable .

Honda research had revealed that customers want a machine that has both a unique style and is also fun to ride in all conditions throughout the year. Honda has delivered this customer request.

The final production motorcycle will be shown for the first time at the EICMA show in Milan from 2nd November 2010, when pictures, the date for production and date of availability in dealer will be revealed.

Offline IDR

• <insert bias disclaimer here>
  • Administrator
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: NER-A-CAR
« Reply #84 on: October 19, 2010, 03:01:45 pm »
hmmm... adventure appearance and adventure design cues.

No holding of breath going on here.

Not that I would EVER buy a Honda.
The three things you need to fix anything in the universe: duct tape, WD-40 and a hammer.  If it moves and it shouldn't, use the duct tape.  If it doesn't move and it should, use the WD-40.  Otherwise use the hammer.

Offline Socket

• Bike: Triumph 800 XC
  • Heeltyd Speeltyd
« Reply #85 on: October 19, 2010, 03:07:11 pm »

You cant buy n honda because you wont be able to sell your KLR for n deposit. :imaposer:
800 Tiger xc / 450EXC / XL500s

Offline IDR

• Administrator
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #86 on: October 19, 2010, 03:09:49 pm »

You cant buy n honda because you wont be able to sell your KLR for n deposit. :imaposer:

That's probably true, I'd have to give it away!  Even then I might struggle.

But I wouldn't need to, because I am not buying a honda - especially not this one!
The three things you need to fix anything in the universe: duct tape, WD-40 and a hammer.  If it moves and it shouldn't, use the duct tape.  If it doesn't move and it should, use the WD-40.  Otherwise use the hammer.

Offline IDR

• Administrator
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #87 on: October 19, 2010, 03:10:32 pm »
See, I can't even get myself as far as to capitalise honda.  THAT's how much I dislike them.

Offline KiLRoy

• Rossi se Biaggi...
  • Administrator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • We need a strong man. Strong like Stalin
    • Wild Dog Adventure Riders
« Reply #88 on: October 19, 2010, 03:12:07 pm »
I get what you say TR - making weight an issue for liter bikes over 200kgs is like the oke doing ballet on a Rhino telling the oke on the Elephant his ride is to heavy?

If you look for serious off road stuff - ignore the whole liter class and go for something lighter.  Also stay away from the 650 class bikes which weigh 180kgs plus.  Still have the weight without the horses...

160kgs and less - thats what you want.  

>:D  But on the other hand Darren - don't say your CTX is a d/s bike if the bash is too far... ;) >:D

Offline the_wes

• Occasional Perpetrator
  • Forum Whore
    • Rather be Riding
« Reply #89 on: October 19, 2010, 03:14:47 pm »
If you look for serious off road stuff - ignore the whole liter class and go for something lighter.  Also stay away from the 650 class bikes which weigh 180kgs plus.  Still have the weight without the horses...

i.e. KTM 690 E, Husky TE 610, Honda XR 650 R, Suzuki DR 650, Yamaha XT 660 R, etc? I concur...

Offline The Purple Turtle

• Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • prev RiaanC
« Reply #90 on: October 19, 2010, 03:20:00 pm »
I concur...

Damn, The_Wes concur with KilRoy! :o

That is like 2 Stroke Dan admitting that the 1200GSA is a moeroffa bike!

Where is this forum going to? >:D O0 :laughing4:
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 03:21:01 pm by The Purple Turtle »
Adventure is taking the wrong equipment to inappropriate places.

BMW R1150GS - Gertrude

Offline Trailrider

• Southern Cape
  • Bachelor Dog
  • "Africa Twin Lite"
    • Trailrider
« Reply #91 on: October 19, 2010, 03:20:05 pm »
Nothing in that article suggests anything hardcore.

I guess we'll have to wait two week and see. This is the first I've heard about an 800.

In hardcore / overlanding / reliability the 660 Ten still sets the standard I guess (performance is not a priority in overlanding bikes).

Offline Trailrider

• Southern Cape
  • Bachelor Dog
  • "Africa Twin Lite"
    • Trailrider
« Reply #92 on: October 19, 2010, 03:21:13 pm »

>:D  But on the other hand Darren - don't say your CTX is a d/s bike if the bash is too far... ;) >:D

- I never said anything of the sorts.
- I dont have my CTX anymore.
- I did ride it to the bash 8)

Offline KiLRoy

• Rossi se Biaggi...
  • Administrator
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #93 on: October 19, 2010, 03:23:49 pm »
just pulling your chain....but proof it this year!  See you at the bash? :biggrin:

Offline Trailrider

• Southern Cape
  • Bachelor Dog
  • "Africa Twin Lite"
    • Trailrider
« Reply #94 on: October 19, 2010, 03:26:07 pm »

i.e. KTM 690 E, Husky TE 610, Honda XR 650 R, Suzuki DR 650, Yamaha XT 660 R, etc? I concur...

I think the 660 Ten with it's big tank etc. standard is closer to the term "Dual Sport" than those high performance scramblers IMO.

Offline Trailrider

• Southern Cape
  • Bachelor Dog
  • "Africa Twin Lite"
    • Trailrider
« Reply #95 on: October 19, 2010, 03:26:54 pm »
just pulling your chain....but proof it this year!  See you at the bash? :biggrin:

Unfortunately it's impossible. I would really have loved to be there!

Offline the_wes

• Occasional Perpetrator
  • Forum Whore
    • Rather be Riding
« Reply #96 on: October 19, 2010, 03:28:26 pm »

I think the 660 Ten with it's big tank etc. standard is closer to the term "Dual Sport" than those high performance scramblers IMO.

are we going to have this discussion again  :mwink:

we're both right  :thumleft:

Offline Trailrider

• Southern Cape
  • Bachelor Dog
  • "Africa Twin Lite"
    • Trailrider
« Reply #97 on: October 19, 2010, 03:30:22 pm »

we're both right  :thumleft:

I can live with that :D

Look at what it says under the translation of that 1200 drawing: :D

"With such an engine under the hood "is not expected anyway not to discover a sunken roads fear."

Offline KiLRoy

• Rossi se Biaggi...
  • Administrator
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #98 on: October 19, 2010, 03:32:50 pm »
Unfortunately it's impossible. I would really have loved to be there!

nothing is impossible old chap - if the WP can be in the final, anything is possible? :biggrin: - just make a plan stan, enough time to make money, but potential for memories and great times - lost forever?

Offline letsgofishing

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Suzuki DR-Z 400
  • Sedgefield, Garden Route
    • http://www.mikekaplandesign.com
« Reply #99 on: October 20, 2010, 05:43:07 pm »
Honda press release:

This machine is an exciting new approach – a crossover machine that represents the best aspects of two separate biking genres.

It will have the flexibility and exciting attitude of a Naked performance machine, with the upright riding position and rugged appearance of an adventure bike.

This crossover is a midrange capacity motorcycle - and although it looks like a regular adventure bike, it has a much lower seat height so it can be used comfortably by riders of varying proportions.

With the low centre of gravity of a performance bike it is great fun to ride, and because of its wide handlebars and upright riding position it is both easy to manoeuvre and comfortable .

Honda research had revealed that customers want a machine that has both a unique style and is also fun to ride in all conditions throughout the year and so sought to deliver on this desire, with this new machine being the result.

This sketch is an early impression of the motorcycle developed by Honda designers at the Honda Design Centre in Rome.

The final production motorcycle will be shown for the first time at the EICMA show in Milan from 2 November 2010, when pictures, production details and availability in dealer dates will be revealed.

Honda will also reveal at EICMA a new concept motorcycle using the 1200cc V4 engine first seen in the VFR1200F, to further prove its leadership in this evocative and powerful engine configuration.

Oh well, now we know - a "slap piel" soft-roader  :P
There is nothing you can do about the past and you can't predict the future...all you have is the now...live it to the fullest.

www.mikekaplandesign.com