Dakar clutch fixed $$$

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

growweblaar

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F800GS
A while back I reported my Dakar - 2006 model, 22000 km - had developed a very heavy gearshift, especially 1st, neutral and 2nd (see Simon_99's thread: https://wilddog.net.za/forum/index.php?topic=52449.msg1088470#msg1088470). No amount of adjustment would make a significant difference.

I took it to the local BMW dealer who said that it felt a bit stiff, but nothing out of the ordinary. They said they could open up the clutch if I really wanted to. Since they didn't sound too interested, I took the bike back. I rode it some more, but it just got worse: shifting from 1st to N at the robot became nigh impossible :mad:

I then took it to Wrench in S'West, where I should have taken it from the start. He opened everything up and found warped clutch plates (you were right Rice Crispy!), which meant I had to replace all the plates + springs (ouch!). Opening the clutch also means replacing cover gasket,  engine oil (+filter) and coolant.

While working on the bike he also found some other funnies. Now remember this bike had its big 20k service 2000 kms ago at the dealer...:

• oil leak on feed side of reservoir (replace seal)
  • cush drive (rubbers) worn, should be replaced soon
  • droopy clutch lever (worn perch)

I'm never taking it to BMW again :mad: