Is Technology --Killing --DS Riding

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blazes

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
Husqvarna (all models)
I have noticed a trend for DS bikes to go the same way as racing MX and Enduro machines. ??? In some areas as far as suspension etc goes i agree--Just feel that the plot is being lost by most manufacturers and that years ago someone could take a --Lets say Tenere or a old XT500 and do a 8-10,000km trip into Africa or wherever. Today the service intervals are becoming shorter( not a bad thing) a lot of new bikes 5,000km services But for the normal guy who has purchased a top of the line DS bike at a stiff price and has ten thumbs ---he --is --Fu--ed. Going to need to service his bike on route-if he attempts a long trip--or are therr only a few die hards out there who still do this type of riding

Most dealers plug the bike into a computer and do factory upgrades as required etc --Now on the race track--you need every little bit of  a edge you can get---Travelling along unknown roads for days on end --who the hell cares ---Most bikes have a fuel range from 300--500km's and most guys only have a 150km backside ::)

Lately seen a turn towards the older 650cc class again by a lot of riders who have gotten tired of --posing  :peepwall:

650 Dakar's Dr650's KLr's and the older Xr's and Yamaha---even the ktm 640 is becoming sought after again

Maybe Technology is starting to backfire on the Manufacturer. Has Honda noticed this and now decided to bring the XR650L into SA for this reason ?

Worked out recently with all the aftermarket pipes etc to get a certain model bike 10km faster than the previous model the price tag was only R15k plus the increase as it was  new model another R8k ------ What a bargain  ::)R23 k extra for 10kmph faster --- ::)

Just my observation-----