Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Questions about GPS maps for Africa  (Read 382 times)

Offline tomrinbellingham

• Puppy
  • Bike: Suzuki DL 650 V-Strom
  • Making friends in high places - Peruvian Andes
Questions about GPS maps for Africa
« on: October 17, 2010, 09:06:22 pm »
I'm and American and live in the USA. I recently bought a moto (V-Strom - thru WildDogs) in Johannesburg. :) I am planning a motorcycle trip from South Africa through Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, Malawi, Tanzania, Mozambique, Rwanda, Uganda, Kenya, Ethiopia, Sudan, Egypt, Israel and then on to Germany. :hello2:

I already have a Garmin Zumo 550. I would like to purchase maps Ė both GPS and paper - to cover all of this territory in Africa.

Iíve not personally seen Tracks4africa maps and their website doesnít seem to have a demo of the quality of their maps. Also, Iíve heard that there is a newer version (9) out or about to come out.

Does anyone know if there is an online site to go to and learn about their maps and how they work? Is there a new version about to be released? [Iím not beginning my trip in South Africa until March of 2011, so I can wait a few months to make a purchase.]

Does the Tracks4Africa Garmin friendly map work exactly like a Garmin MapSource map on the Garmin Zumo 550?

Is there a way to get a discount by joining a group buy or ...? I might also be able to talk my traveling companion into purchasing a map set for his moto.

Any help or suggestions about navigation will be greatly appreciated.
Tom
Life is short; break the rules, forgive quickly, kiss slowly, love truly, laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile. Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we're here we should sing and dance -- and ride motorcycles.

Offline letsgofishing

• Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
  • Sedgefield, Garden Route
    • http://www.mikekaplandesign.com
Re: Questions about GPS maps for Africa
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2010, 08:44:19 am »
Go here:
http://www.t4a.co.za/t4a_gps_maps.asp

Where the maps are listed, there's a "preview" - click this to see the detail.

Version 10.1 is now available.
There is nothing you can do about the past and you can't predict the future...all you have is the now...live it to the fullest.

www.mikekaplandesign.com