Questions about GPS maps for Africa

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
Suzuki DL 650 V-Strom
I'm and American and live in the USA. I recently bought a moto (V-Strom - thru WildDogs) in Johannesburg. :) I am planning a motorcycle trip from South Africa through Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, Malawi, Tanzania, Mozambique, Rwanda, Uganda, Kenya, Ethiopia, Sudan, Egypt, Israel and then on to Germany. :hello2:

I already have a Garmin Zumo 550. I would like to purchase maps – both GPS and paper - to cover all of this territory in Africa.

I’ve not personally seen Tracks4africa maps and their website doesn’t seem to have a demo of the quality of their maps. Also, I’ve heard that there is a newer version (9) out or about to come out.

Does anyone know if there is an online site to go to and learn about their maps and how they work? Is there a new version about to be released? [I’m not beginning my trip in South Africa until March of 2011, so I can wait a few months to make a purchase.]

Does the Tracks4Africa Garmin friendly map work exactly like a Garmin MapSource map on the Garmin Zumo 550?

Is there a way to get a discount by joining a group buy or ...? I might also be able to talk my traveling companion into purchasing a map set for his moto.

Any help or suggestions about navigation will be greatly appreciated.