Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Sand, donga's, crashes and alot of fun !  (Read 3592 times)

Offline sidetrack

• Keep it real, keep it a single
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
Sand, donga's, crashes and alot of fun !
« on: March 05, 2006, 08:50:14 pm »
So it began, my first ride with the guys from the forum and what a great ride it was ! Also thanks for allowing me to tag along, great bunch of guys ! I left Pretoria at around 6 am which for me is damn early for a weekend. I arrived at Wimpey just after 7 am and met Jorneyman who was busy having a coffee to combat the feezing early morning chill. Unfortunetly Journeyman had other arrangements so he left early. I met the other guys (Shark, Louis, Welsman) and soon we were ready to roll.

Luckily the canal was less muddy than before. First dirt pic of the ride.

Two KLR's leading the pack as we head up the canal.

Nice landscape pic.

I must be honest I have no clue where we were riding, this stretch was before the klip and consisted of some nice open fast dirtroads. LouisZander pulled to the side and found his speedo cable was loose, luckily Welshman had a Leatherman at hand and Louis was back on the road in no time.

Shark said he found a new route on the GPS to the rock which meant we had to go through this gate .....

which led to this nice stretch of dirt .....

Welshman made the comment that the big GS and DRZ were complete opposites as ds bikes and he is right, the DRZ looks like a muskiet next to the big BM  :lol:  The trail became tighter almost into a singletrack as it ran into the local village. Thorny branches meant you had to duck every now and then.

Then I saw it, the rock. We rode up to the steap climb and I could not believe it. That face was steap  :shock:  I looked at a photo of it and thought "yeah I can do that" but being face to face with it was another story. It looked like a near vertical climb, I don't think so. We rode around the klip and went up the "easiest" climb whick in itself was "not so easy". My bike was like a bucking horse but I made it to the top following the "klip regulars". Welshman's GS bottomed out but that did not faze him as he went up and down the klip. Much respect to do that on the big BM, I don't know if I will be able to do that   :notworthy:

Couple of pics on the klip's summit.

Back down and we followed Shark around the klip, it was a nice shady trail. Welshman's GS.

And my DRZ in front of a funky tree growing on a rock.

Now I have to apologise for the following pics as the exposure on my camera was crap. Shark guided us along a route that led to about 2 - 3 km of pure trail riding Nirvana. Suddenly we were in a Riverbed with super soft sand, it's the first time I ever rode something like this and it just felt wrong. Shark speeded ahead while Louis, Welshman and myself paddled through the section going from left to right. We saw Shark up ahead and pulled over for a well deserved break.

Shark giving Welshman some support.

Believe me it looks easier on the pic.

I jokingly said that if a bike had trouble here you would be in deep sh&%t, so just when Welshman thumbed his starter the GS was a no go ! The battery did not have enough juice so Louis and I helped to push start, luckily this happened on a harder patch of dirt.

The DRZ in the bed.

Shark told us to stay on the pegs and it worked, for me it was easier as we wen't along. Also found second gear to work better as first just dug in and spun.

If the sand was not enough the trail also had tricky little ups and downs with dongas everywhere. A few times I found myself riding near vertical drop offs. I was lucky to be on a lighter bike. Welshman had a get off and suffered a sctratched cylinder head, broken indicator and a bashplate that came right off the bike. The GS did not like this stretch ! I also had my fun in the trees trying a "shortcut", Shark has the evidence. Luckily he gave me a hand after taking some pics  :lol:

After this tough section it was back onto good dirtroads in the bushveld. We then came across a flooded Pienaars river and I followed Shark into the crossing. Welshman and Louis were smarter and waited to see what would happen. Well we almost drowned the bikes ! It was deep, when the water neared my seat and the bike started to splutter I decided to turn around asap. I think Welshman has a pic.

Shark checking out the river. The one chevron board was almost completely covered so I guess the level was about 1m ? Shark suggested we can try and push the bikes across but this was met by deafening silence and the shake of the head.

We had to go back via Brits on the tar, it was about a 50km stretch which made the DRZ's seat harder with each km that passed.

At Brits we parted ways after a great days ride, when I got back to Pretoria my odo showed 296 km for the day.

Thanks guys.
Little by little, one travels far
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline Maverick

• Slacker Extraordinaire
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R100GS / Kalahari
  • Some multi-task. I multi-slack.
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2006, 08:54:53 pm »
Hey DD looks like you guys had a fun day out! Glad you enjoyed it and hope there is some more pics 8)
Maverick Disclaimer: This thread is intended for the use of the individual(s) named above and may contain information that is confidential privileged or unsuitable for overly sensitive persons with low self-esteem, no sense of humor or irrational religious beliefs. If you are not the intended recipient, any dissemination, distribution or copying of this thread is not authorised (either explicitly or implicitly) and constitutes an irritating social faux pas.

shark_za

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2006, 09:32:42 pm »
Good pics and report dude!

All I can add is the following pics.

The KLR on top of the rock. Welshie just powers the beast up there, digitaldan and Louis went up with no hassles.

The gogga at the base of the klip, this bike has everything done to it, cant spot a single standard component. Its not a Suzuki anymore as I'm sure there is a minimum content a bike needs to have.

DD pushing his bike under the most complicated short cut I have seen. I guess watching me turn my bike around in the riverbed made him go that way. It was not gracefull.

The two opposites, the nimble DRZ and the big pig.

Happy face, hes a KLR rider after all.

I looked at the map again, its actually the Tolwane river that goes under a bridge about here, the bridge was underwater and the river had burst its banks and was probably close to 200m wide. It joins the Pienaars river about 700m downstream.

I was wondering where all the water was when we were riding down the dry riverbed, guess we know now  :twisted:

shark_za

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2006, 09:39:28 pm »
Also good to see Wino who joined us for breakfast, glad it wasnt me sleeping in a tent in the coldest night JHB has seen this year.

And Funacide, sorry we missed your calls, saw him just as we finished the riverbed section, you didnt miss much after that, we rode about 36km on dirt till we hit the burst river and had to do the tar bail out.

In the pic the river runs right to left, the bridge crosses at a 90 degree angle.

Offline macduff

• RIP
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT600
  • Cape Town
    • http://gonnagallas.blogspot.com/
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2006, 09:39:40 pm »
phew! this is lekker reading...... :shock:  :shock:
bravo boys... looks like a real toughie today!

also hope to see more pics :-)

Offline LiveInTheOutdoors

• Race Dog
    • http://tigerr.smugmug.com
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2006, 10:23:28 pm »
Lekker report, me thinks you vaalies are more adventurous than your cape counterparts  :cry:
very minute is a chance to turn it all around - Vanilla Sky

>Mav... started gym. Officially at 95kg....<

Offline funacide

• Administrator
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 890 Adventure R
    • Mediro Business Service Management
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2006, 12:13:55 am »
Great report guys.....

Did I spend a lot of time looking for you this morning, only to see you guys on my way home. GR8 to see some new faces joining the ride. KEWL PICS all of them...
 :)  :)  :)  :)  8) :rr:
KTM 890 ADV R

Offline Leon H

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2006, 01:21:45 am »
Awesome.  :cheers:
"I see a boundary, I eat a boundary...and wash it down with a cup of hot steaming rules!"

Offline toucan

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2006, 07:52:21 am »
looks like it was a lot of fun, pity about the pig.
maybe i'll eventually join you guys (how about a late afternoon run? 8)  8) )
i'm not a complete idiot. some parts are missing.

Offline Grootseun

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2006, 08:02:25 am »
WOW.. man.. am i sorry i missed this ride...

Great report DD.

I really enjoyed the report..well done.

Offline wino

• Old Boys Club
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2006, 08:25:14 am »
well done guys, sorry i missed out :evil:

Offline sidetrack

• Gentleman Dog
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2006, 08:37:38 am »
I said it before I'll say it again, that ride was great fun. Nice challenging stuff. Welshman took some pics as well  :happy1:
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2006, 08:48:35 am »
Don,t worry about the pig boys, at the end of the day it was minus its bash plate (attached by 4 little rubber mounts) and had a broken indicator and some superficial decorative scratches.

I will take out the battery this week and fix up the bad connection, as I had previously noticed it was not charging properly (ABS not functioning is a good indication), sorry guys I should have checked it before. But thanks for pushing the Pig to bump start it, funny Shark was absent when the pushing was required!

The riverbed was too technical for the pig and its rider, trying to stay on the pegs in that sand whilst dodging the rocks was tricky to say the least. The pig was wide open in first for so long it was close to overheating and that caused the throttle to stick, not fun!!

The low speed fall was a mix of exhaustion and being over cautious as I no longer had a bash plate by that stage.

So after the battery issue, then the fall, I am sure you guys can understand the lack of enthusiasm when the Shark suggested pushing the bikes through the nadger deep river!

Once the pig had cooled down on the more open dirt the throttle was fine again and running strong, I later noticed whilst standing up chasing Sharkey (a common phrase in these reports) that with the strong head winds we had yesterday, the Pig was only running at 140 but revving at 6000 in 5th, tried the same on the tar and it was running 160 at 6000! H,mmm a 20kph difference.

Anyway great report DD, my photo,s are pretty much the same as above and I have not sorted out an upload programme yet.

Thanks for a great day out, the pig is convalescing.

Welshie
The guys say they can do a Pistol on their 3D printer, not impressed I have had a Canon printer for years.

Offline LuckyStriker

• Stealthy Camper
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW G650 X-challenge
  • Bellville Rock City
    • LuckyStriker's Blog
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2006, 08:52:41 am »
Are you going to post pics Welshie?

We'd like to know more about this great ride of you guys

Offline JourneyMan

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • Pretoria
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2006, 10:42:12 am »
Ai! What a great report!

Seems great fun was had and skills were tested and improved on this one.

So sorry I could not go with but nice to see everyone and meet DD and Welshie for the first time. 8)

LouisX. So. You went the whole way. Told you you would go once you are there and see how "easy" Sharky makes it look!  :lol:

Well done!  8)

Also to you DD. 8)

The Klip is being conquered up here!
He who angers you, controls you.

Offline sidetrack

• Gentleman Dog
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2006, 10:57:04 am »
Not sure if we passed the more difficult climb Shark ? The one where you had a quick look. Anyway I spied it quickly and reckon I could have a go on that but man that rock is hard (duh). I reckon if you have a get off there you could be in some serious trouble.
J.R.R Tolkien

shark_za

« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2006, 10:59:32 am »
There are 3 routes up, I have only done the last two.
That first one thats almost vertical is a mind bender.

You will do the second one no probs, a bit steeper than the last one, and a bit less forgiving for a wrong line, but still ok.

Offline sidetrack

• Gentleman Dog
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2006, 11:05:02 am »
I did not even follow a line up the easy climb  :lol: I just kept behind Welshie and bucked and weaved my way to the top, liked the way Louis just grabbed a handfull on the KLR and blasted up there. No cautious approach from us guys, same goes for the river crossing  :lol:
J.R.R Tolkien

Online LouisXander

• Elephant fighter
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • Old man with Elephantine motorcycle
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2006, 11:18:32 am »
I reckon we must surely have the braai up there when Shark decides to take the steep one. After all I think he the most experienced!

There was other routes as well when we circumnavigated the rock? I saw some pointers sprayed on the rock. Next time we must explore those ones as well Shark.
Don't dress for the ride, dress for the fall!

shark_za

« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2006, 11:32:44 am »
Welshies shots are pretty much the same as the others, with these additions.

We turned around in the swollen river, the area looked quite flat and we could see the bases of the bushes on the sides of the road, hence the enthusiasm to attempt it.
Here I am turning around at about flooding point, it was just getting deeper.

I then went to try walk a shallower route through, but no luck.

The suggestion to push the bikes through was not only stonewalled by Welshie, but I had 3x faces stare at me blankly.  :shock:  :shock:  :shock:
I was not so serious myself  :wink:

Welshies bash plate in transport mode.