Cracked GS 1200 ADV screen WTF

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Watermat

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS Adventure
I fitted a GS ADV screen on my GS about 2 years 4 months ago. This was done by a BM dealer in the Winelands. About a year ago small cracks (2mm long) started to form around the 4 holes.
Not being a difficult customer who complains about everything of note, I decided to leave it as is, because the cracks did not grew any larger. (Big mistake)
A few days ago I noticed to my horror a crack 80mm long running horizontally to the other hole on the screen. I reported it to my friendly BM dealer in the Winelands and the consultant even took pictures to sent up to their claims dept. After I made an enquiry on when the screen was fitted. it became clear that this item was 4 months out of the warranty period i.o.w 2 years and 4 moths old. The claims manager in JHB reported back to the dealer that they are not going to entertain the claim, because the item is out of its warranty period. :mad:
Now anyone that knows my bike, will agree that I look after the machine and give it a lot of TLC.
To me, something like this is not suppose to happen. I don't know if it is factory mistake or bad moulding. BMW's attitude regarding this issue is quite disturbing to me and they are forcing me to take my money and loyalty elsewhere if the time comes to replace the GS.

My million dollar question is: Am I the only one with this problem on the ADV screen?