Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: The Suzuki DR350 Thread  (Read 28126 times)

Offline onspecial

• Bike: Suzuki DR350
Re: The Suzuki DR350 Thread
« Reply #520 on: August 23, 2020, 11:17:34 pm »
Did anyone pick up any spares with Barton? I was enquiring about the Djebel headlight and rack for my DR350 - any ideas on what to pay for something like that?

Offline chopperpilot

• Afrikaans...Dis my taal! Engels...Dit verstaan ek ook!
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • "Jack of all Trades... Master of Some."
« Reply #521 on: August 24, 2020, 01:52:12 am »
Did you get a manual? I have a PDF that should cover it - just send me your email address?

Scott

Seen in my area! I like! I want! :thumleft:

2001 Model DR 350 SE, with 11 000 kms on the clock. Owner does not want to sell, yet! :)

Were these the last DR 350s available in SA?
Gentlemen

It has been more than 7 years but I'm finally the proud owner of this black 1999 DR 350 SE!

It has not been ridden since 2013, so still has 11k on the clock!

I have already started stripping and cleaning it.

The bike is stock, and as complete as can be. Even the complete toolkit is still there!

The rear shock's bump stop is perished, and I will have the shock serviced at the same time.

I furthermore require a new air filter, and the carb's diaphram is slightly torn.

The airbox will have the snorkel removed for starters, and an aftermarket exhaust cannister will be sourced and fitted.

Motocomp has main and pilot jets, as well as a new needle and seet.

We have owned 4 DR 650 SEs, 4 DR 200s and a DR 250 Djebel, so really excited to get this fine specimen up and running again!

If you can assist with any parts, let me know. I also need a workshop manual in digital format. I have not been successful on the internet.

Thanking you in advance!

@Stevie

@DJ

@Berty77

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Tapatalk
Not easy to find on the net, but did find a manual.

Actually printed it this past week and "bound" it in 50 pocket flip file.

Mine is an '99, so printed the specific SEX/SEW pages too.

I reckon I should be sorted, thank you!

Studied the contents of the areas I required information of while printing the pages one for one, and am satisfied with knowledge obtained.

The only section of the manual not required is the engine overhaul one. The engine will be serviced and valve clearances checked.

Your offer to assist is however appreciated Scott!

Which year model is yours?

Any pictures to post here?

« Last Edit: August 24, 2020, 01:53:18 am by chopperpilot »
Current Bikes : KTM 990 R, KTM 500 XCW

End of an Era : Suzuki DR 650 SE, Husqvarna 610 TE

Offline chopperpilot

• Forum Whore
« Reply #522 on: August 24, 2020, 02:44:51 am »
Did anyone pick up any spares with Barton? I was enquiring about the Djebel headlight and rack for my DR350 - any ideas on what to pay for something like that?
I did buy some parts from Barton.

Besides the 4 DR 650s I've owned, we've also owned 4 DR 200s, of which one was a Djebel model.

We also owned a DR 250 Djebel, with the high performance DOHC motor.

Bartin was the importer of the DR 250 Djebels back in the day.

Had a few interesting conversations with him.

He was very helpful. I for instance investigated the possibility of fitting a 17 liter DR 250 Djebel tank to the DR 350. Swopped many pics and measurements. It was longitudinally to long.

The DR 200 tank is another option, but didn't want to bother Barton any further.

Might look for a tank locally, even if it's only for a test fit.

The Honda XR 650 L is apparently the tank to get. I prefer the IMS of around 18 liters, not the Acerbis 24 liter monstrosity.

I did buy the DR 250 Djebel headlight from him. Fork thickness and width is identical, but the top yoke pinch bolt design differs. I'll have that modified at a manufacturer acquaintance.

I paid R 1500 for the headlight with frame.
The rubber at the back of the headlight housing was not to be found by Barton.

Slight surface rust on the headlight chrome ring. That will most probably receive a light sandblast and powder coated in satin black.

As an after thought I asked Barton for the DR 200 Djebel luggage rack. It is not a straight fit, so will need some modification. The same manufacturing acquaintance will sort that out. Aiming for an OEM perfect fit with powder coating in the frame colour.

Paid R 250 for it.

I have also obtain an early DRZ 400 headlight with plastic surround. The design is similar to what you'll find on a current enduro bike, with rubber fork station rubber attachment straps and a single bolt at the bottom for yoke attachment.

This is part of my effort to knock of a few kilograms off the 350!

This was bought 2nd hand, but it is basically new. Found it by change on a DR 750 Gumtree add in Durban. Paid R 500.

The last few months have consisted of sourcing and ordering parts.

Carb parts were a slight challenge, as MotoComp does not stock the CV diaphragm, needle and float bowl drain screw. Jughead ordered from BMW, as the 650 Funduro utilizes a twin BST33SS set up.

I still need to order main and pilot jets, float bowl gasket, as well as needle and seat from Andrew at MotoComp. That is all what he can supply for the BST33SS carb.

Speak to Barton regarding a Djebel headlight and rack. He has lots of spares.

I also bought a Djebel front fender from him, and he ordered me a new set aftermarket clutch and brake levers. R 160 each.

Air filters (2) were ordered from the agents, as well as a new OEM black headlight fairing.

Only received the oil filter I ordered from them so far. Around 4 weeks now.

Bought a Hi-Flo oil filter too elsewhere.

Strangely enough Suzuki had a number of bottom stearing bearings in stock at the Jhb warehouse. Eye watering price of nearly R 700 though!

Slight surface rust on the bearing from water entering through the stearing lock from washing the bike. I did clean the very slight surface rust/discolouration up with a Scot-brite pad, but it was perfect.

The inner race is 1mm different to a similar aftermarket bearing with the rubber dust/water seal available from BMG. This is typical Suzuki regarding wheel hub dust seal with and bearing race size!

I'll post some pics of progress when I have time.

Offline onspecial

« Reply #523 on: August 24, 2020, 08:58:12 pm »
Thanks for all that info. Interesting pricing on the Djebel headlight unit and rack. A friend bought for R500 years ago, I was trying to haggle a fellow in PE down from R800, perhaps I was in the wrong!

Also with you on the weight - just seen this evening a '96 XR600 is a shade lighter than my '91 DR350. I've been drawn to the lighter bikes as I'm a small fellow but also they go further! Tempted to upgrade now.

I recently went to Andrew for a worn plastic slider in the carb - my slider has big play in it - also had to fashion my own needle too. Had ordered parts from UK but lockdown has them on hold.

I realise I should have joined this thread years ago - have many years and KMs of DR350 enjoyment under the belt now - but fairly new still to upkeep and maintenance, only having recently gotten into the bikes. Some pics attached.

About to do a 10 day West Coast trip with some mates - need to get her into shape - and and get pannier racks sorted. Any advice there would be helpful but trying to go custom and super simple.

Offline onspecial

« Reply #524 on: August 24, 2020, 08:59:12 pm »
Another from Wuppertal / Cederburg trip.

Offline chopperpilot

• Forum Whore
« Reply #525 on: August 24, 2020, 09:14:43 pm »
Very nice!

What fuel tank is fitted to yours?

Offline onspecial

« Reply #526 on: August 25, 2020, 12:04:40 pm »
Hi. It's a 12l Acerbis tank I think for a Honda XR. I bought it fairly blind in the UK, just made it work by adding new larger pegs on the frame to hold it in place.

Offline chopperpilot

• Forum Whore
« Reply #527 on: August 26, 2020, 08:24:19 pm »
Hi. It's a 12l Acerbis tank I think for a Honda XR. I bought it fairly blind in the UK, just made it work by adding new larger pegs on the frame to hold it in place.
Thank you!

Offline onspecial

« Reply #528 on: August 29, 2020, 07:31:55 pm »
Looking for Mikuni BST33 carb spares and a right hand side plastic side panel for a 1991 DR350 S (the kickstart) Any other spares also of interest.

« Last Edit: September 10, 2020, 02:37:24 pm by onspecial »

Offline Stevie

« Reply #529 on: October 05, 2020, 06:14:03 pm »
So I've been under a rock -  missed all the fun here...

CP congrats on the DR, I remember seeing the ad for this bike.

Remember to regularly (read 5k km) service the front forks and change fork oil and fork seals will not be a problem.

I'm sitting with 3 DR350's in the garage now, 4 when my son brings his around  ;D

Offline Stevie

« Reply #530 on: October 05, 2020, 06:24:47 pm »
Took the youngsters on a trip to Bray in November to watch the RWC final.

Sent from my EML-L29 using Tapatalk

Offline Stevie

« Reply #531 on: October 05, 2020, 06:30:09 pm »
Outride to Breeds Nek last week where the 350's outnumbered all the other brands

Sent from my EML-L29 using Tapatalk

Offline chopperpilot

• Forum Whore
« Reply #532 on: October 06, 2020, 12:46:23 am »
So I've been under a rock -  missed all the fun here...

CP congrats on the DR, I remember seeing the ad for this bike.

Remember to regularly (read 5k km) service the front forks and change fork oil and fork seals will not be a problem.

I'm sitting with 3 DR350's in the garage now, 4 when my son brings his around  ;D
Thank you Stevie!

The bike is still in a stripped condition, mostly for major service purposes.

Yes, I will do the fork service and have the rear shock done.

Air filter was perished. Ordered and received 2 new ones from the agents. Pricey.

New rubber, tubes and spoke rubber fitted. Spokes tensioned and rims trued.

Bearings still perfect, added some grease with new dust seals.

I have obtained a Djebel 250 headlight, as well as a DRZ 400 headlight cowl and headlight,for experimenting on different looks.

Offline chopperpilot

• Forum Whore
« Reply #533 on: October 06, 2020, 12:51:18 am »
Looking for Mikuni BST33 carb spares and a right hand side plastic side panel for a 1991 DR350 S (the kickstart) Any other spares also of interest.
Carb spares can be obtained from MotoComp and BMW, as the 650 Funduro had two BST33SS carbs.

Side panels are super scarce. Try the agents. Some body panels are still available. Pricey of course.

Offline Piet

« Reply #534 on: November 13, 2020, 11:52:46 am »
My turn to join in here!

Moved to Oz, picked up a bargain (AU$1300) 1991 DR350S with 6000km on it, serviced it, and registered it. Now I'm renting it from government at around 25% of its purchase price...  :o

What a bike! Especially coming from the KLR. Scrolled through the thread last night and I see I'm not the only KLR rider to convert. Nice thread! I hope I can contribute to it!

Here's mine in its natural habitat last weekend!
« Last Edit: November 13, 2020, 11:58:23 am by Piet »

Online Xchallenge

• Jou Ma is 'n...
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Zero (all models)
  • Braaap!
« Reply #535 on: November 13, 2020, 11:59:52 am »
Nice bike Piet!

And great camera you took it with too!

My turn to join in here!

Moved to Oz, picked up a bargain (AU$1300) 1991 DR350S with 6000km on it, serviced it, and registered it. Now I'm renting it from government at around 25% of its purchase price...  :o

What a bike! Especially coming from the KLR. Scrolled through the thread last night and I see I'm not the only KLR rider to convert. Nice thread! I hope I can contribute to it!

Here's mine in its natural habitat last weekend!
If you had a psychic midget who killed someone, you would have a small medium at large.