Eastern Cape: Baviaans Side Exit PE, Rooihoek, Kareedouw

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drusky

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1100GS
Previous RR.

Region: Eastern Cape
Start: Port Elizabeth
End: Port Elizabeth
Time: Two days
Type: A lot of dirt with some technical bits
Difficulty: I dunno, I've only had a DS for 10 000km

The Baviaans Side Entry thread prompted me to post this report it consists of two rides. Both start and end in PE but approach the 4x4 trail from different directions.
The first half of the pics represent the Baviaans to Kareedouw trip. We entered the Baviaans Kloof from the Patensie side with an overnight stop at Rooihoek camp site. The next morning we made our way out of the reserve to the farm Rus en Vrede which is the starting point for the 4x4 trail to Kareedouw which we reached late that afternoon.
The second half of the pics represent a trip into the Baviaans over the 4x4 trail and instead of going into the reserve we overnight in Willowmore.

This is how we roll:
When riding my buddy Scumdog and I take turns at eating dust. On faster dirt your stint lasts for 10km. 10km down the road from the point that you took the lead you slow down and let the guy behind you catch up and pass for his 10km turn. On slower trails like the 4x4 route your turn lasts for 5km. The idea behind this isn't just about a taste for dust. It is also a good way of keeping an eye on one another. If after 1km beyond the end of your turn your Buddy has not yet caught up to you then you need to go back and look for him.

PE to Baviaans(Rooihoek) 4x4 exit to Kareedouw and home  20090621

Scumdog arrives at my place early in the morning and already he has lost a bolt to the exhaust of his F650; we dig out a nice stainless-steel replacement with a spring washer and we're good to go.
IMG_5579.jpg

I'm carrying the extra fuel it's strapped to the same mounting points used by the standard BMW luggage system and it works surprisingly well!
IMG_5580.jpg

We ride to Patensie and stop for a bite to eat at Tolbos before filling up at the station over the road. Scumdog and I use these stretchy luggage nets. They work very well. When my back wheel came off at 100km/h on a trip back from Steytlerville my luggage did not (see previous ride report). Back then I used only one stretchy net. These days I use three. Sounds like an infomercial heheh.
IMG_5592.jpg

Note the bread rolls on top of my load.
IMG_5593.jpg

I love the road from Patensie into the Baviaankloof Wilderness Area . It's truly picturesque. The high cliff in the background is made of an aggregate of smooth river stone and rock hard mud/sand. Supposedly the river line is a fault which slipped leaving a high side (the cliff) and a low side (the river) as you see them today.
IMG_5594.jpg

IMG_5595.jpg

IMG_5596.jpg

On the way into the kloof we meet a husband and wife team in bean green uniforms. They are “Friends of the Baviaans Wilderness Area” and honorary rangers. They tell us that motorcycles have been banned from the area. Apparently people have been tearing around off the trails and buggering things up for the rest of us who like adventure motorcycling. After explaining that we've booked to stay at Rooihoek and have been through the kloof before without any issues they suggest we stop by the Environmental Center to check on the state of affairs. They mosey off and we stop to confirm our booking at the office. While in the reception area we ask about the motorcycle and are informed by a lady with a heavy Xhosa accent that motorcycles are indeed banned. We're rather annoyed, commenting on the fact that many people tour through the area on motorcycles and how nice it would have been to be informed of all this beforehand. Then the woman suggests we show her our motorcycles and exlaims loudly on seeing them, “Oh this ees not eh problehm, this ees not eh striped motobike, thees hes a nummah pleht.”
Huh? A second later it dawns on us that she is talking about stripped motorcycles that have no licence plates, pure offroad machines.
IMG_5597.jpg

We stop past the Environmental Center anyway and are given the all clear there as well. Ridiculous and at the same time understandable. It's a wilderness area not a race track and I can image guys racing along the trails and upsetting those who have come to the Baviaans to enjoy the majestic tranquility of the mountains. Perhaps something to think about before you go for that super noisy exhaust ;)
IMG_5598.jpg

In no time we're at the top of the first pass, I check that the jerry can is still secure and we take a moment to enjoy the view.
IMG_5603.jpg

Certainly one of the thrills of this route are the many deep and steep drops right next to the road.
IMG_5607.jpg

I do my own stunts too :D
IMG_5610.jpg

Rooihoek is reached relatively early in the arvy and we pause to check out the sign that says “bring own fire wood” dunno where the hell I would put it if I had to bring it with me. We get to the camp site, climb off the bikes and mosey over towards a spot under the tree where we will later pitch the tent. In the time it takes us to do that the local Vervet @#$% Monkey troop has nabbed those bread rolls that were tucked under the netting on top of my load. Thieving bastards! We give chase immediately and in their haste to get away the monkeys leave 5 of the 6 rolls behind. We recover a few bits of cellophane but the rest of the packaging is gone. So much for the environment friendly adventure touring.
IMG_5631.jpg

In between chasing monkeys and guarding the gear we get the tent up and sleeping mats inflated. Unwittingly we've managed set up our tent on a carpet of those long white thorns. During the night Scumdog will get several punctures, I strangely enough get none.
IMG_5636.jpg

Rooihoek isn't really that rooi, the river sand and rock is white, but it is very mooi. I decide to wash in the river a bit later, it's very cold but worth it. The sun is still out and before long I'm warm again.
IMG_5637.jpg

Scumdog eats his supply of chocolate biscuits, “Putting them where the thieving monkeys can't get them.”
IMG_5638.jpg

We've had a look around and Scumdog decides to tighten his chain. I don't know why he leaves basic maintenance like this for the trip but it kills some time while the wood burns down to coals
IMG_5641.jpg

Of course Scumdog's boots are left to dry near the braai. Before morning they'll smell good enough to eat.
IMG_5645.jpg

The espetadas from Sunridge Spar are excellent and negate the need for a grill. It's actually way more meat than either of us want but it all goes down the hatch anyway.
IMG_5650.jpg

IMG_5659.jpg

Morning comes with a tired Scumdog (deflated sleeping mat kept him up) and wet road as there was a little rain during the night. After breaky and dish washing we load up and ride.
IMG_5674.jpg

IMG_5677.jpg

We're not very far down the road and Scumdog loses it in the mud. We're riding together (no dust) and I see the whole thing happen. It's not a fast spill but what horrifies me is that he goes down seemingly on top of some old iron fence-posts that project out of the ground next to the road.
IMG_5684.jpg

It's the only metal hazard for kilometers and Scumdog damn near impales himself on it. Fortunately no serious harm is done to him or the bike.
IMG_5685.jpg

There are a lot of wet crossings and I take my fair share of water.
IMG_5689.jpg

By the time we reach Rus en Vrede and it's reasonanbl early in the morning but there's no one around. We eventuality spot a farm hand who has a two way radio. He talks to the lady of the plaas and relays the trail cost to us, R80 each.
IMG_5697.jpg

IMG_5698.jpg

After getting direction to the start of the 4x4 trail we're on our way again. The road is firm and the surroundings get drier as we're lifted away from the farm and out of the kloof.
IMG_5699.jpg

IMG_5700.jpg

IMG_5702.jpg

This part of the road has regular “speed humps” to minimise water damage during heavy rains and boy are they fun. I get the knack of  wringing the throttle as I go over them so the bike doesn't buck forwards and backwards but the front wheel lifts and she stays level as I put the front wheel down gently on the other of the bump. The trail ends up winding up a cutting into the hills with these anti erosion bumps entertaining us all the way.
IMG_5703.jpg

The view is spectacular and we stop now and then to check it all out.
IMG_5706.jpg

IMG_5709.jpg

And we stop even more regularly to open and close these.
IMG_5712.jpg

It's all worth it, spectacluar view and a wonderful memory made with Scumdog.
IMG_5713.jpg

IMG_5715.jpg

IMG_5716.jpg

Scumdog comes acropper again when is bike stalls on a steep turn. He's clearly annoyed by all this and tells me that he's been having trouble on all the slow technical bits with stalling.
IMG_5717.jpg

He's picked a beautiful spot to drop his bike so I leave my machine up the hill where I was waiting for him to take the lead and we stop to dry our socks and eat some biltong. Scumdogs boots oddly enough smell a lot like the biltong. Perhaps this phenomenon is what got things started on the Lewis and Clarke expedition :D
IMG_5718.jpg

IMG_5719.jpg

IMG_5720.jpg

IMG_5721.jpg

Now the trail comes into its own. You really get the feeling that you are in the middle of nowhere, It's not like the Baviaans where you encounter other people fairly regularly. Just wild hills as far as the eye can see in every direction and a trail that seems to have no end... Hmmm about that... keep in mind this was the first time we'd done this route and we had no sense of how far we still had to go. It was winter and the afternoon light came on us before we were half way to Kareedouw. It really heightened the feeling of adventure and gave me an inkling of what a long bundu trip might feel like.
IMG_5722.jpg

IMG_5723.jpg

IMG_5724.jpg

IMG_5725.jpg

IMG_5726.jpg

This is probably just past half way... I think. I have a nokia navigator but it's useless out there.
IMG_5732.jpg

IMG_5736.jpg

I love this shot. It catches the essence of this route, beautiful mountains, capable machines and looots of farm gates.
IMG_5743.jpg

Have I already mentioned the incredible views? Let me say again. The views are incredible. There's no need to rush this ride, sooo much to see or miss out on if you do rush.
IMG_5744.jpg

There are quite a few techincal bits. I found it best to stay on the firm bits of road. You have to pay attention, and when you find yourself wandering onto the rocky slippery stuff it's best not to try to stop or swerve desperately towards the firm ridge you wanted to be on. Rather keep going, lift the revs enough not to stall and trust the machine to ride through till you get back on track further along the trail. If I do drop my GS I know there's no way I can stop her so I generally slide off and try and slow down the tumble to reduce damage and then do the bend at knees lift keeping my straightened back to the pig.
IMG_5745.jpg

IMG_5746.jpg

IMG_5747.jpg

IMG_5748.jpg

IMG_5750.jpg

IMG_5751.jpg

Before you know it you're at the end of the 4x4 trail but there's still a good bit of dirt between you and Kareedouw with one or two forks in the road to make you stop and think :)
IMG_5753.jpg

I've always thought that this is the farm where one is meant to pay for the Kareedouw side of the 4x4 route (it crosses two farms Rus en Vrede and another one). I've never seen a soul there.
IMG_5756.jpg

First fork in the road, remember these signs; if you don't have GPS. You want to go right.
IMG_5760.jpg

We went left and ended up on the farm called Nooit Gedacht which is a long way down some very impressive cuttings. They have many beautiful Yellowood Trees. What is even more fascinating is the history of the farm. Take a read about the Hammer Unit Old RSA.
IMG_5763.jpg

Eventually we were back on track, not far down the road from that set of signs you should see this river and its peaceful beach house.
IMG_5766.jpg

IMG_5786.jpg

The next fork in the road quite a bit further along. Here Scumdog persuaded me that we still had a very windy 150km to go. The swine. I was tired and worried that it was getting late so my brain didn't think how ridiculous that distance was. You take the right hand fork I think... I can't remember. I do know that either route will get you to Kareedouw :)
IMG_5770.jpg

Finally Kareedouw down below and the shadows are long by the time we get to the bottom of the hill.
IMG_5771.jpg

IMG_5772.jpg

My boot has an interesting orange line where the water from the Kloof is still leaking out; Scumdog's face is just as dusty and he looks buggered.
IMG_5775.jpg

IMG_5777.jpg

We scoot home to PE  with the sun setting behind us and are home before the sky is dark.
IMG_5778.jpg

To Follow the reverse version of this exercise, well... sort of.

PE to Kareedouw, 4x4 entrance to Baviaans exit to Willowmore 20100123
Next RR.