Kreef's secret road.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michiel

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Kawasaki KLR 650
I'm sitting here partially hyperthermic and partially suffering from adrenalin withdrawal but happy as a
pig in sh*t!  ;D Where do I start? Put it like this... Ek slyp al vir maande lank my tande om op 'n plekkie
te gaan ry en nou het ek en dit was befok!

A while back Kreef discovered a very special little track up a mountain. He had a go at riding up it but
had to turn back because he had his Dakar full of luggage, it was getting late and he was actually on
his way somewhere else. He did get far enough to be able to give it a rating of "more difficult than Matroosberg".
This obviously made my eyes twinkle and my mouth water. I wasn't sure if he was exaggerating or not,
well actually I thought it can't be more difficult but the important thing was that Kreef wanted to go back
to finish unfinished business and I was desperate to go see if he rated the track correctly.  >:D

So the day finally came. From about 3am I was awake, rolling around in bed, too exited to sleep. We were
going to be a small group because of the nature of the ride. Along with Kreef I hand-picked three more victims.
SACK, Wolfmother and R-O-V-Rat. By the time SACK and I met up with the rest it was clear that the weather
wasn't going to be on our side as dark blue clouds were threatening to drop their contents. Not even half
way up it started to rain and although it was good to keep us cool I unfortunately had to hide the camera as
it is worth more than my bike! I'm sad to say that I missed out on the best photo opportunities but I will share
what I did get.

Here is the video, some of the footage is a bit shaky because I was dangling the camera from my neck and
the road was very rough.

[flash=720,430]https://www.youtube.com/v/u7H76EKyOiY[/flash]

As we were going to come down the same way as we're going up everybody could individually decide where
they had enough excitement and call it a day. R-O-V-Rat and I got as far as the very end but it was hard
work and hard fall. Wolfmother got through the worst, making it about 3/4 of the way. Kreef was handicapped
by his KX that didn't have enough power to pull up the relentless steep, rocky and extremely lose surface and
made it 1/2 way. With worn tyres SACK put in his usual performance and entertained us up to about 1/4 of
the way. Thanks SACK, you're always a bok vir sports!

I must say that today my mojo was working particularly well as I managed to ride mostly without crashing.
Sometimes completely losing control of the direction the bike is going in to, doing the crab walk, but still
standing on the foot pegs and hanging on with the throttle open to maintain momentum. Know that feeling
when something looks completely impossible but you're going to give it a try anyway... and then you actually
manage to do it? Well, I was feeling like that a couple of times today. Boy was it fun!

Thanks guys!  :thumleft:

Some beautiful clouds on the mountain.

Kreefs001.jpg

Our road can be seen on the left.

Kreefs002.jpg

Getting ready.

Kreefs003.jpg

Now there is a huge 2 hour gap because of the rain. By the time R-O-V-Rat and I got to the very top the
rain did clear up and I took some shots of us going down again. This is the top end of the track. Next time
we will bring some beer!  :ricky:

Kreefs004.jpg

Going back down. Beautiful view with an overgrown path.

Kreefs005.jpg

Looking back the road just drops off the end of the mountain.

Kreefs006.jpg

This is where some of the carnage happened. I had a moerse harde fall on some bedrock about half way up.

Kreefs007.jpg

Looking back in disbelief. We actually made it up there!  >:D

Kreefs008.jpg

God's view.

Kreefs009.jpg

Kreefs010.jpg

Kreefs011.jpg

Kreefs012.jpg

Kreefs013.jpg

Almost back down. By now the road was pretty slippery. It doesn't look like it but this is where Kreef's KX
couldn't manage. It was so steep be flipped it a couple of times trying to run it in it's power band.

Kreefs014.jpg

Kreefs015.jpg

SACK had lots of fun on this section...  >:D

Kreefs016.jpg

Kreefs017.jpg

Kreefs018.jpg

Kreefs019.jpg

Finally, what is my rating? Let me first say: I have not done "The Gutter" on Matroosberg but I have been
to the very very top past where the radio towers are. My rating for Kreef's road - More difficult than Matroosberg.  :ricky:

Battle scars!

Kreefs020.jpg

This one incredibly rusted on my way back to town but it was nice and shiny this morning still. This is from
when I fell on the bedrock. Those crash bars have earned back their money 10x over. SW Motech, hoesit met
'n borg vir my volgende stel?  ;D

Kreefs021.jpg