Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Stop me before I do something stupid...  (Read 4902 times)

Offline the_wes

• Occasional Perpetrator
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Harley Davidson (all models)
    • Rather be Riding
Stop me before I do something stupid...
« Reply #140 on: March 17, 2007, 06:15:33 pm »
the biggest convincer, is the ridiculous smile i had on my face when riding home after my test ride  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Offline SGB

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • 1190R / 1200 GS LC / Husaberg TE 300
    • DS Rider Training
Truimph
« Reply #141 on: March 17, 2007, 06:22:35 pm »
I have been following this thread with one eye.  I say the Truimph is good as your n'th bike, after you have bought a Harley and you still need something that will turn heads.  Before you get there, buy a bike you can ride and really enjoy.  A DS type, (something with a bit of orange if not all is of course the best smile creator) is just so much more fun, practical and enjoyable.  Like Ysterman getting it sideways with the Lesotho snow in the background above.....  :twisted:

The most bang for your buck comes first, then all the exotic things to satisfy passion or whatever.  (IMHO  :) )
www.countrytrax.co.za

Riding a bike is not just about riding the bike....
Do not believe everything you think....

Offline Ysterman

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
Re: Truimph
« Reply #142 on: March 17, 2007, 06:35:18 pm »
Quote from: "SGB"
Like Ysterman getting it sideways with the Lesotho snow in the background above.....  :twisted:

:oops:  :oops:  :oops:
Aplogies  :!:  Not me, I got that pic from BMW!   :oops:  :oops:  :oops:
 :oops:  :oops:  :oops:
I'm almost there :)

Offline GIDEON

• Born in the year of the Tiger
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Triumph 800 XC
  • Bikes est dans mon sang
« Reply #143 on: March 17, 2007, 08:11:40 pm »
:wink:  If it was a Legend it would be a smiling rider aswell

Nobody can be exactly like me. Sometimes even I have trouble doing it.

Offline Adventurer

• Deleted Users
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #144 on: March 17, 2007, 09:02:19 pm »
Wes, the 650, GS or Dakar, will take you wherever you want to go, two up or on your own, loaded with panniers or with no luggage, the difference is that a FULLY loaded 650, two up, will limit your progress, but sustained speeds in excess of 130kph will be no problem, 150 will be pushing it a bit, but you must ask yourself how fast you want to go. Depending as well on how much you and your pillion weigh as well. The 650 does have a very comfortable saddle for both of you. PM Ou Ryperd, him and Marina started out on a Dakar, and they managed just fine.
Jaq, Triumph have no roadside assistance in SA, they have a small dealership spread. I phoned the Dealer Principle on his cellphone late on a Sunday afternoon looking for a quick word of advice, man, did I get attitude! He revved me for phoning him on a Sunday, I told him to fark off, why was his cell switched on and why did he answer it if he didn't want to talk to anyone???!!! Then, Monday morning the fur flew again,face to face! I was trying to help out a buddy who owned a Tiger,bought from this DP, and thanks to this type of attitude, I WILL NEVER BUY A TRIUMPH! :D  :D
The other problem with Triumphs in SA, and I do admit it is a good bike, is there is virtually no trade-in value unless you trade on another Triumph.
This same mate of mine sat with a Triumph 600TT for over a year trying to get rid of it.
I have ridden the Tiger 955i, awesome motor, very smooth. Didn't handle bumpy corners too well and had a very soft front end, especially offroad where it didn't impress me at all.
But lets be honest here, the Scrambler is not much more than a retro fun bike, for those wanting to cruise the boulavard while their HD is in for a service, it is not that it is a crap bike, it is just not a proper DS bike.
If you can keep your head in the midst of all this confusion, you don't understand the situation!

Offline Poffmuis

• aka Newguy
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Rally rally rally
« Reply #145 on: March 17, 2007, 09:32:29 pm »
Get a R80GS, one of the most reliable bikes ever built and enough power for two + luggage :D . Seriously, the 650 is good, but IMO don't not go for the 1150 just because your worried about starting to big. Self discipline and knowing your own and the bike's limitations is most important, then I think you can start on just about anything. Except maybe if you are looking at something like the GSXR 1300's or ZXR 1400's (2 swear words, hehe), thats probably not something you should start on  :twisted:

Kev

« Reply #146 on: March 17, 2007, 11:55:07 pm »
Quote from: "Adventurer"

But lets be honest here, the Scrambler is not much more than a retro fun bike, for those wanting to cruise the boulavard while their HD is in for a service, it is not that it is a crap bike, it is just not a proper DS bike.

Exactly! Like the Tiger. Very nice looking, but in my opinion, not up to the job of dual purpose riding. Well, maybe for the soft easy stuff. That a road bike can do too.

I would not mind having a Tiger to park next to the Super Enduro. They would make good stable mates me thinks.

Offline Captain Zef

• The Ultimate
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • Oudtshoorn / Mosselbaai
« Reply #147 on: March 18, 2007, 10:35:31 am »
Wes buy the Dakar.

Nice riding boots. :D
I used to be called Captain Slow but then i got Zef

Offline the_wes

• Occasional Perpetrator
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Harley Davidson (all models)
    • Rather be Riding
« Reply #148 on: March 19, 2007, 08:11:22 am »
Boots are coming soon don't you worry  :roll:

Mind made up, see here: http://wilddogtours.co.za/forum/viewtopic.php?p=80543#80543

Kev

« Reply #149 on: March 19, 2007, 10:24:42 am »
Yay! :hello1: :thumbright:

Offline bomber

« Reply #150 on: March 21, 2007, 09:13:03 am »
Nee K@k man daais nie 'n bike nie. Lelik verby...  maar nou ja ek is nie in retro in nie.  Go with the Dakar you wont be sorry. Jy gaan nie met die Triumph kan toer nie....
couldn't fix my brakes so I made my horn louder