Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Stop me before I do something stupid...  (Read 4907 times)

Offline the_wes

• Occasional Perpetrator
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Harley Davidson (all models)
    • Rather be Riding
Stop me before I do something stupid...
« Reply #80 on: March 15, 2007, 03:24:16 pm »
sharkie - you feel quite strongly about this, don't you?  :wink:

LS - i agree with you 100% - since this is my first bike, resale value is highly important to me, it's one of the things i am researching, as i am confident i'll be buying something else in the future. or maybe not. who knows ;) but since my ultimate is a 1200ADV (like yours), dakkie seems the best option for now.

ballies - don't need to magnetise boobies, already married  8)

steady - i hear what you're saying, and believe me i'm not in it for the pose, more the emotion i derive from the bike (when it comes to looks, retro, bling). although the pose is tons of fun, let's be honest here ;) but i would never buy a bike purely for it's looks, though looks are important (though not the most important)

what's important for me is what i will do on it: commute, weekend jolling 2-up, occasional long 2-up trip, perhaps some offroad (extent of which i won't know until i try it). having considered everything so far from a dakar to a wee-strom, i realised that the scrambler has the offroad ability of the wee (some might argue here) and more on-road/touring ability than the dakkie, so i'm at least considering it.

Offline Eisbein

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Kraaifontein Plugspanner!
    • Music Ramblings by a serial hobbyist
« Reply #81 on: March 15, 2007, 03:44:43 pm »
Quote from: "LuckyStriker"
also...if for some mysterious future reason you decide to sell the bike, who's gonna buy it?
You think you have trouble selling the vespir? I very much doubt the market for Triumph Scramblers is any bigger - probably smaller!

at least with the Dakar you won't loose too much and the bike is for damn certain popular enough to sell second hand when you are done with it

sorry to be a profit of zoom

Didn't think of that...

2nd Hand value on Beemers is excellent...

If you are on the way to a GS anyway having a Dakar will make the trade-in easier as well.
02/02/12 - RIP Glen - the Arrow of Elliot and the little man with the big heart that truly was larger than life.

You have touched us and left us better for having known you - even if it was only briefly.

For grabbing the moment and living the day It's been way too early that you were taken away

Offline IDR

• <insert bias disclaimer here>
  • Administrator
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: NER-A-CAR
« Reply #82 on: March 15, 2007, 03:45:24 pm »
To be honest wes...there are hundreds of people, JUST on this forum, who will give you advice on what bike you need to buy, and can continue ad nauseum about which bike is better for what, etc etc etc...  And I'll admit, I am probably more biased than ANYONE on this forum, there isn't a snowball's chance in hell that I would ever consider ever getting anything but Kawasaki, Triumph, Lookwell or Arai...

BUT, with all that said, our sport/hobby is a passionate one, and a bike is something that you buy with your heart, not your head.  Screw the resale value, screw how well it poses, or how good it works on road, off-road or two up... buy the bike that you think will make you feel good when you swing your leg over it, and point the headlight(s) onto the open road.  8)
The three things you need to fix anything in the universe: duct tape, WD-40 and a hammer.  If it moves and it shouldn't, use the duct tape.  If it doesn't move and it should, use the WD-40.  Otherwise use the hammer.

Offline the_wes

• Occasional Perpetrator
  • Grey hound
    • Rather be Riding
« Reply #83 on: March 15, 2007, 03:47:30 pm »
thanks IDR! you're absolutely right - just go check growweblaar's post in "The Bikes" about the bikes he test drove this week - he couldn't decide between the 650GS, transalp and dakar until he rode them, and when he did he instantly knew what he wanted. that's what it comes down to - the size of the grin when you get off the bike after a good ride  :twisted:

Steady

« Reply #84 on: March 15, 2007, 03:48:12 pm »
Quote from: "shark_za"

You think the big GS's are offroad bikes, you living in dreamland.

No one said it was?

The GS has never pretended to be anything that it is not. It is sold world wide as a very capable on/off road touring bike. Nobody will deny, that that is what it does, and probably better than anything else, I never sucked that out of my thumb, the sales figures tell it like it is. It outsells anything else in its class and then some, that's a fact.

Wes, if you put your missus on the back of the 650 gs/dakar for 500k's a day with luggage she will be staying at home next time round, I guarantee it.

Offline the_wes

• Occasional Perpetrator
  • Grey hound
    • Rather be Riding
« Reply #85 on: March 15, 2007, 03:58:57 pm »
Quote from: "Steady"
Wes, if you put your missus on the back of the 650 gs/dakar for 500k's a day with luggage she will be staying at home next time round, I guarantee it.

you may be right... which is why the scrambler, but more importantly the transalp and wee-strom, appeal to me. twin engines, better wind protection (the last two).

would love a big GS - but can't afford it right now.

Offline JourneyMan

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • Pretoria
« Reply #86 on: March 15, 2007, 04:08:30 pm »
Fook! Wrong post. Long time since this happened. Sorry. :oops:
He who angers you, controls you.

Offline Grootseun

« Reply #87 on: March 15, 2007, 04:10:24 pm »
you got  the right topic here Jman??

(note my post count just went up  :D  :D )

Offline Adventurer

• Deleted Users
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #88 on: March 15, 2007, 04:36:48 pm »
Wes, I assume you have looked at the Suzuki 650 V-Strom?
Price is in your bracket, good motor and IMO better in the dirt than the Triumph. And I'm sure you will be able to re-sell it when you wish to upgrade. Given that you intend to buy NEW, the BMW is outpriced.
Luggage for the Triumph will be aftermarket stuff if at all, Suzuki uses Givi luggage, good stuff and good value.
Don't listen to Shark, he's a plumber..... :D  :D  :D
If you can keep your head in the midst of all this confusion, you don't understand the situation!

Offline the_wes

• Occasional Perpetrator
  • Grey hound
    • Rather be Riding
« Reply #89 on: March 15, 2007, 04:39:54 pm »
i have, strongly, considered the v-strom. in fact i am far from making my mind up.

current competition: F650 / Dakar / Transalp / Wee-Strom / Scrambler

(what do YOU do for a living, adventurer?)

Offline growweblaar

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW F800GS
  • Somerset West
« Reply #90 on: March 15, 2007, 04:47:38 pm »
Get a Scrambler, wes, we need a new type of bike on the forum  :D

Offline IDR

• <insert bias disclaimer here>
  • Administrator
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: NER-A-CAR
« Reply #91 on: March 15, 2007, 04:49:41 pm »
Hey, I know there are one or two guys with Tigers on here...
The three things you need to fix anything in the universe: duct tape, WD-40 and a hammer.  If it moves and it shouldn't, use the duct tape.  If it doesn't move and it should, use the WD-40.  Otherwise use the hammer.

shark_za

« Reply #92 on: March 15, 2007, 05:03:44 pm »
I know I'm outspoken on this topic.

I looked back at an old thread when the scrambler first came out, and I am saying the same thing here.

Why do the silly comments come from the lifestyle buyers who crit the bike on the exact same flaws thier bike has?

Now if a 640 Adv owner would say "not offroad enough" then you can take it, even a Dakar owner.
But 1150 and 1200 GS !   Please !

Offline Adventurer

• Deleted Users
  • Gentleman Dog
« Reply #93 on: March 15, 2007, 05:40:57 pm »
Wes, the title of your topic says it all, you want us to stop you, allow us to do so. :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
Shark, yes the Triumph will go pretty much where a GS will go, as will any other bike, I remember a guy who went around the world on an R1 Yammie, rivers, deserts, wharawharawhara, the difference is HOW it does this. You simply cannot be serious in comparing a BMW GS(any of them) to this Scrambler. Triumph has done there best to emulate a 'retro' bike, where BMW continues to evolve, agree or not. Methinks you want to stir the pot. :D  :D
Wes, I work for the worst boss in the world, myself... :D  :D
I am in the auto electrical game, why do you ask?
If you can keep your head in the midst of all this confusion, you don't understand the situation!

Offline the_wes

• Occasional Perpetrator
  • Grey hound
    • Rather be Riding
« Reply #94 on: March 15, 2007, 05:44:14 pm »
so you expect me to trust an auto electrician over a plumber   :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :D  :D

Offline Adventurer

• Deleted Users
  • Gentleman Dog
« Reply #95 on: March 15, 2007, 05:50:56 pm »
When was the last time you had a plumber fix your pipes? :D  :D  :D

Offline the_wes

• Occasional Perpetrator
  • Grey hound
    • Rather be Riding
« Reply #96 on: March 15, 2007, 05:52:06 pm »
hmm, so many ways to answer that...

back to the scrambler vs the big GS - yes the GS is a much more modern piece of machinery, and while the scrambler will go wherever the GS goes, the GS is probably more rugged

having said that, the scrambler doesn't compete with the GS price wise. it's a lot cheaper. a lot.

the GS is still my ultimate bike. one day.

Offline Adventurer

• Deleted Users
  • Gentleman Dog
« Reply #97 on: March 15, 2007, 06:16:15 pm »
As they say regarding price, 'you gets what you pays for.." :D  :D  :D
Wes., I won't advocate that you buy a BMW, but you must certainly think about what you are planning on doing with the bike. You sound like you still have a lot to learn regarding dirt road riding, and yoy might even decide it is not for you, on the other hand you might decide tar roads suck and dirt roads is where you enjoy being the most. But IMO the Triumph Scrambler is not the ideal bike to explore these avenues.

Offline the_wes

• Occasional Perpetrator
  • Grey hound
    • Rather be Riding
« Reply #98 on: March 15, 2007, 06:18:37 pm »
no, it might not be ideal at all. but just like i am planning on doing some long trips, and the dakar is not ideal for that, but i love the dakar so much. it's true, you'll never find a bike that does everything  :lol:

ideally i need a bunch of bikes:

scrambler for weekends
vespa for other weekends
1200GSA for globe trotting
KTM 640 supermoto for commuting

Offline Mark Hardy

• Forum Vendor
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
« Reply #99 on: March 15, 2007, 06:19:51 pm »
Quote from: "the_wes"

the GS is still my ultimate bike. one day.

I thourght you might like this pic then....