When North is South

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KALLY

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Kawasaki KLR 650
A couple of months ago, my friend Neville (w/d Mr P) suggested that we do a ride to Port Alfred one Saturday morning and then spend the afternoon exploring the area. Then ride back to East London on Sunday, I thought this was a great idea but suggested that we should rather do as much as possible on dirt.

As neither of us had ever ridden to Port Alfred on dirt before I contacted a few of my riding Buddy’s to see if they could suggest a route, to my surprise I couldn’t find any body who had ever been to Port Alfred on da gravel but all were keen to try.

So I started doing what I do best, spending night after night on the Internet looking for “virgin” - roads. But as you know virgins of any sort are notoriously hard to find. It soon became apparent that we would be riding through the middle of nowhere and on some very minor back roads. Also there are only two bridges over the Fish River one been on the main East London - Port Alfred Road and the other been on the main Grahamstown - King Williamstown Road. So no option there would have to be a bit of tar.

The plan was set. Ride dirt as far as the Fish River, and then stay on tar all the way to Port Alfred. Explore a bit that afternoon, then on Sunday head North past the Coombs join the Grahamstown - King Williamstown Road cross the Fish, back on to dirt and head back to East London. Oh so easy!

The group would consist of, Myself (Kally), Neville (Mr P), Pat (Irish), Lance (Lance SA) and two non dogs Barry and Petrus.
Petrus could not sleep over as he had a birthday party to attend in East London. So would ride with us to Port Alfred then head back on his own.

As Lance has a holiday apartment in Port Alfred accommodation was sorted  :mwink: :mwink:

Then on the Wednesday before the great trip, it stared to rain for the first time in months, on Friday it was still raining and the Dogs were getting worried. What would these virgin roads be like when wet?  None of us knew of any virgins let alone wet ones so we couldn’t even ask.
Then Lance phoned sounding as sick as a dog, saying that he felt  terrible and would have to pull out. I felt very sorry for him as he was really looking forward to the ride. So now we were down to 5 with 4 sleeping over

main.php

Irish Filling up Saturday Morning

The first 10 kms of dirt were really slippery and wet and this was supposed to be a good road, I thought that if it gets any worse there would be quite a few offs today, but the further we rode inland the dryer it became.

main.php

Waiting for Irish after something fell of his bike - look at the first photo - Prestons . . . . .  >:D

From left to right - Myself; Barry & Petrus.

main.php

Which way now.