Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: New Cape Town cameras  (Read 495 times)

Offline westfrogger

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
New Cape Town cameras
« on: October 27, 2010, 12:46:35 pm »
Perhaps not so much bike-related banter as it is general transport.

Anyhow, since the months preceding the SWC Cape Town's roads have seen something of a bloom in roadside cameras: those mounted several meters up atop tall lamp-like posts. They look like ordinary security cameras.

There is a persisting rumour doing the rounds that these cameras are capable of recognising number plates and measure speed. Capable of, but not in use. Otto du Plessis Drive sports a few of these (and other panning cameras) near all the IRT stations - to provide some security at the stations?

Yesterday I noticed the same addition of the same type of cameras all along the West Coast road between Milnerton and Blouberg, but nowhere near stations. This is an interesting development, because if the rumour holds any form of truth (inception delayed by legislation?) then the daily commute could become quite interesting. Since the addition of the bicycle lane the speed limit along that entire stretch has been reduced. Morning- and afternoon stream speed (talking about cars here) often exceed the speed limit in many places along this route.  :-\

Anyone heard anything regard to this?

Offline buzzlightyear

• I'm Buzz Lightyear. I come in peace.
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • To infinity and beyond
Re: New Cape Town cameras
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2010, 12:56:47 pm »
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." (Edmund Burke)

Offline westfrogger

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2010, 05:05:24 pm »
Ah - only shows the *twits* stuck in traffic! :deal:

Offline lecap

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2010, 08:41:23 am »
They should use the existing technology & storerd data, measure speed, if too high read number plate, look up vehicle owner and despatch sms with speed & location in real time. Trial for two weeks. Then despatch sms with speed & location and announcement of fine being forwarded.

Why does almost everyone in SA believe it's their constitutional right to ignore speed limits, stop streets & traffic lights ???
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)

Offline buzzlightyear

• I'm Buzz Lightyear. I come in peace.
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • To infinity and beyond
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2010, 09:01:08 am »
Why does almost everyone in SA believe it's their constitutional right to ignore speed limits, stop streets & traffic lights ???

Good question
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." (Edmund Burke)

Offline Goose

• NAPIER Country life is great!
  • Shop Mods
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2010, 09:16:22 am »
In the UK these cameras are used to take pics of the drivers as well. Saw in the Times before I left in Sept. where they had a whole page with pics of people using cellphone, doing makeup, eating with one hand & drinking a coffee with the other.... steering with knees  :o - the resolution was amazing on the pics which recorded face, numberplate and speed........

a good thing imo  :thumleft:
"Life is a Waste of Time..... Time is a Waste of Life........ Get Wasted all the Time and have the Time of your Life"  ()

Offline Bos

• Bike: BMW F800GS
  • Dassies love Tassies. But they love Klippies more
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2010, 09:52:33 am »
In Dubai you get an SMS immediately when you get caught by a traffic camera.  It auto-reads your number plate; looks up your details and sends you the SMS in seconds (if they have your cell nr).  At the end of the month you get a 'statement' with all your fines, times, locations etc. delivered to your door :)

The cool thing about their tech is that the police don't need to chase you - they scan/read all number plates as they pass the cameras anyway, so they just follow your progress in their control room.  They also have a live high-def satellite feed of the city. Not that there's a lot of 'running away from cops' in Dubai in the first place ;)  (or motorbikes for that matter  :3some:).
People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs. - Unknown

Offline westfrogger

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2010, 01:01:53 pm »
There is a subtle difference in the way traffic regs are enforced in the First World (read: work) versus South Africa (read: needs work).

The mind set here appears to be that it exists purely as a form of revenue. The Speed Kills campaign smacks of some international traffic convention that some local delegate and wife attended in Sweden, and is now trying to convince us that it also applies here. Almost every single major accident on our roads is because of a stupid decision by the driver (wrong side of road on a blind rise), inebriation or driving a vehicle that falls far short of roadworthy standards. Yes, you get the idiots who speed, and cause accidents, but I do not for a second believe this is anywhere near being a primary cause.

Having said that our roads will look a LOT better if you were to see traffic police - and not corrupt ones - everywhere at all times. I seldom see them, and NEVER at night. 90% of the time that I do see them they are behind a camera (are the traffic officers or photographers?), commuting to or from home; and they almost ALWAYS ignore moving violations in their immediate vicinity.

So yes by all means give us the First World enforcement, but do that on ALL levels.

(And then scrap the draconian import duties so that more people can drive newer and cheaper cars and we can buy more bikes) :deal:

Provocateur

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2010, 01:21:46 pm »
My daughter has lived in Florida in the US for 16 years and she tells me that traffic police are very visible there.  And very helpful!  Moving violations (running red lights, stop streets, etc) are fined just as heavily as speeders, but they actually work for it. 

Our fat pigs don't want to work.  They sit on deck chairs with a camera all damn day long eating chips and drinking cokes.

My wife was stuck with a flat tyre and some cops stopped and told her that if she doesn't get off the motorway, they would fine her and then they drove off, without any assistance.  Outsurance's guys arrived more than 2 hours later - by that time she was a paranoid wreck.

"To protect and to serve"????  To protect their asses and to serve summonses.  Great cops we have here!

Offline lecap

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2010, 08:19:00 am »
...but I do not for a second believe this (speeding) is anywhere near being a primary cause...

You must be living in another South Africa?
I'd say the majority of serious accident scenes I passed, accidents that happened in my neighbouhood, accidents friends got involved in over the last ten years (since I live in CT) were caused or made worse by inappropriate speed (often in combination with inappropriate levels of blood alcohol?) and a good portion by a***holes jumping robots and stop streets.
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)

Provocateur

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2010, 09:41:07 am »
...but I do not for a second believe this (speeding) is anywhere near being a primary cause...

I'd say the majority of serious accident scenes I passed, accidents that happened in my neighbouhood, accidents friends got involved in over the last ten years (since I live in CT) were caused or made worse by inappropriate speed (often in combination with inappropriate levels of blood alcohol?) and a good portion by a***holes jumping robots and stop streets.

Speed + Alcohol - the problem here is alcohol which makes the rider/driver feel invincible.  Jumping red lights?? speed is a factor, but the problem is ignoring the red light.  Not stopping at stop streets??  once again, the problem is ignoring the stop sign - speed at this stage is probably less than 30kph.
The fact that a vehicle is moving means that there is speed involved.  A modern, well maintained vehicle at 120kph is far safer than a decrepit wreck at 35kph. 
So to blame speed as the only factor is short-sighted.  In at least 25% of accidents, there was alcohol involved.
What we need is more visible cops, but they would rather sit behind bushes and man a speed trapping device.  It is a very easy way of raising revenue, either for the council or to enhance their own bank balance.
To blame speed as the primary factor in road deaths is short sighted.  There are a myriad of reasons for road deaths and while speed is up there, I believe that poor traffic control is the major contributing factor.

Offline westfrogger

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2010, 11:27:40 am »

Hi lecap,

I think we are on the same page with this, I just see it a little differently. The drunk a**hole who demolishes a wall at speed did so because, primarily, he was drunk. Stop the drunk driving, which thankfully they are starting to do, and you solve a host of other problems. Now if only the same can apply for reckless driving (at any speed), tyres showing canvas, texting while driving and jumping stop streets and robots.

We do live in a culture where we (well, many of us) simply do not respect the traffic police. How can you, considering half of them commute in hardware we buy and maintain and do so without respecting the very laws they are to enforce.

The cops need to focus on more, rather than that drivel about Speed Kills. Morons Kill.

Offline cloudgazer

• RPMods
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 640 Adventure
    • fontera
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2010, 11:33:20 am »
I hate that sign that says 'if you speed you're a killer'

what a load of crap.
first of all it's not true.
I haven't killed anybody.

Stupid signs like that make you ignore the rest of  the arrive alive type campaigns.

don't talk to me like I'm an idiot, and don't lump me in with the rest of drivers.