Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Some ride photos from around Townsville, Australia  (Read 2485 times)

Offline Leon H

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
Some ride photos from around Townsville, Australia
« on: March 06, 2006, 09:37:40 am »
Hi guys,

I'm feeling pretty happy with myself as today I worked out how to post photos.  I was going to write a couple of ride reports, but figured that seeing as though most people won't identify the places, that would be somewhat pointess.  So instead, if you all don't mind, I thought I would just put in some photos of some places I often go to within 200km of where I live.  

I hope you enjoy.

First up a popular Sunday spot, Paluma Dam, which is in the southernmost part of the Wet Tropics World Heritage Area.  The dam is usually pretty empty and this photo is no exception.  ABout 20km of twisty single lane bitumen range then another 30 or so of dirt.  This photo was also Melissas (the Mrs) first ride on her new bike.

Another photo of the Melissa on the KLE

Another dam photo, this time the Burdekin Dam, the largest in QLD, about 200km south west of my place.  When it is not flooding you can ride across the bottom of the dam and get down to Brisbane really quickly across about 1000km of dirt.

Melissa riding across the dam wall.

Here's a shot of me at Blencoe Falls, in the Savanna country.  This is a great spot to ride to as to get there you have to go up a very steep rainforest range for 60km or so.  Good mix of sand, mud, gravel and water.

And there is some nice camping up there too.  This photo shows Thomas, my mate from Norway, packing up his gear.  It's usually a lot colder up here than down on the coast, hence the early morning fog in this photo.

Bear with me only a few more snaps.....

Directly west of where I live it is pretty dry, but it is still nice country with some awesome rivers when there is water.  But usually it is very dry.

And last but not least, I believe this is a photo of me a year or so ago, on the day I got my new bike, trying my hardest to try out for the BMW catalogue.

So there you have some photos of my part of the world.  This Sunday me and the boys are doing a 1000km of the Wet Tropics Area near Cairns (about 400km away), and thats where the good ranges and views are!  I'll keep you posted.

Leon
"I see a boundary, I eat a boundary...and wash it down with a cup of hot steaming rules!"

Offline macduff

• RIP
  • Bike: Yamaha XT600
  • Cape Town
    • http://gonnagallas.blogspot.com/
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2006, 10:02:21 am »
glad you posting pics leon....
keep them up - never ever too many pics  :)  :)

Offline accton

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2006, 10:39:12 am »
Good stuff Dude, some real cool pic's.
hat you believe will depend very much on what you are.

Offline LiveInTheOutdoors

• http://tigerr.smugmug.com
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2006, 11:35:43 am »
good stuff Leon, nice to put a name with a face. Especially with your thread on international riders.

Moenie die skaape steek nie!

:D
very minute is a chance to turn it all around - Vanilla Sky

>Mav... started gym. Officially at 95kg....<

Offline wino

• Old Boys Club
  • Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2006, 01:16:55 pm »
bring it on! looking forward to a ride when you come play in za! :wink:

Offline funacide

• Administrator
  • Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
    • Mediro Business Service Management
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2006, 03:41:16 pm »
Great PICS Leon.

So guys when we arranging a tour to Townsville, Australia. Accomodation already arranged at Leon's place. Looks like some nice DS country around there!!!
 :lol:  :lol:
KTM 1190 ADV R

Offline mango

• Bike: Suzuki DR-Z 400
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2006, 08:25:01 pm »
Always nice to see other parts of the world Leon....

Keep them coming

Online grizz

• ROCHERSTER, KENT
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2006, 09:33:05 pm »
MORE, MORE , MORE...........   :)

Great stuff Buddy, keep 'em comming.
NEVER EVER UNDERESTIMATE THE STUPIDITY OF OTHERS....

I LIVE IN ROCHESTER, KENT, UK.

Offline Maverick

• Slacker Extraordinaire
  • Bike: BMW R100GS / Kalahari
  • Some multi-task. I multi-slack.
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2006, 03:22:20 pm »
Cool pics Leon, I have been to Townsville and stayed at Geoff's place on magnetic island for a week. Was freakin awesome. Recall waiting for the ferry from Townsville in a bar and asked a local some questions regarding OZ. He just laughed and said "Sorry mate I have been living in Townsville for 45 years and never left"  :D Was incredible to think there is such a huge country on his doorstep but Townsville had everything he needed to live 8)

One place I would of loved to travel by bike is certainly Fraser Island although not sure whether they allow motorbikes on there :)
Maverick Disclaimer: This thread is intended for the use of the individual(s) named above and may contain information that is confidential privileged or unsuitable for overly sensitive persons with low self-esteem, no sense of humor or irrational religious beliefs. If you are not the intended recipient, any dissemination, distribution or copying of this thread is not authorised (either explicitly or implicitly) and constitutes an irritating social faux pas.

Offline Leon H

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2006, 07:28:28 am »
Quote from: "funacide"
Great PICS Leon.

So guys when we arranging a tour to Townsville, Australia. Accomodation already arranged at Leon's place. Looks like some nice DS country around there!!!
 :lol:  :lol:

Of course all are welcome!  My place is the capital of drinkin beer and talkin shit  :lol:
"I see a boundary, I eat a boundary...and wash it down with a cup of hot steaming rules!"

Offline Leon H

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2006, 08:14:37 am »
Here are a few more shots of North Queensland for you perusal.

Here's a shot of me at the base of the Kirrama Range, preparing to climb through the rainforest up to Blencoe Falls.

This road winds up through the rainforest and in a few spots you have to ride under waterfalls.  This shot was taken in the dry season, but in the wet season it absolutely rages across the entire width of the track.

An attempt of an arty BMW shot up at the falls.  There is a small camp at the spot where this shot was taken, it its at the head of a big gorge with the falls on one side and the gorge on the other.  A very pleasant spot.

Stopping for a break in the rainforest near Mt Fox (about 100km north of my place)

Melissa and I getting fuel at the historic post office at Ravenswood.  This town was a big gold rush town in the 1800's now there is next to nothing there but some impressive historic buildings.  The pub does an awesome lunch as is a great spot to sink some beers.  Scorching hot in summer and freezing in winter.

Me standing where the bitumen ends on the road north west.  This spot is at the top of a range in dense eucalypt forest.  Pretty to look at but man the road is slippery.

My mate Tristain getting bogged on his ancient Tengai while goofing off in the sand.  I wisely opted to laugh and take photos instead of helping him get his bike out.  

In the course of my work (I am a wildlife ranger for Queensland Parks and Wildlife Service) I get to go to many cool places, including Cape York Peninsula.  This shot was taken in the early morning on a river in Lakefield National Park.  Looks pleasant, but DO NOT enter the water.  It is full of crocodiles.  There have been numerous fatalities over the years in this area.  One of my jobs is to survey the populations of crocs, and believe me this area is absolutely packed with them.

Photo of a typical Cape York / outback road.  Looks easy enough, but it is covered in a layer of dust that varies from 10cm to 40cm deep.  The problem is that it is impossible to tell where the deep patches are.  Hit this bulldust on a bike and it is very bad news.  

shark_za

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2006, 08:23:47 am »
Lekka man!

Them Tengai's are almost collectors pieces.

Offline funacide

• Administrator
  • Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
    • Mediro Business Service Management
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2006, 08:31:15 am »
Awesome pics Leon

The more pics you post, the more I just have to come for a long visit to Australia. Shit those red roads look tricky for a bike, but I would still love to try them.....
KTM 1190 ADV R

Offline tsiklonaut

• Bike: BMW R1100GS
    • Ühel Teljel Ümber Planeedi
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2006, 09:19:40 am »
Nice stuff mate, good report!
Horsepower
is an illusory
Mathematical equation
Torque
is the source of all Good things in the world

Offline KiLRoy

• A serious man...
  • Administrator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • You said it, man. Nobody fucks with Jesus Quintana
    • Wild Dog Adventure Riders
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2006, 12:19:37 pm »
Nice pic Leon

How does your missus find the KLE?  Did you have to lower it or is she tall enough?

Do you have a nice side-on pic of that Tengai - just to educate the infidels not belonging to the KLR sect

H

Offline Leon H

« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2006, 01:37:14 pm »
Quote from: "KiLeRSA"
Nice pic Leon

How does your missus find the KLE?  Did you have to lower it or is she tall enough?

Do you have a nice side-on pic of that Tengai - just to educate the infidels not belonging to the KLR sect

H

Melissa loves the KLE. Height was a big issue at the start but we sorted it out with lowering.  This bike shines on the open road it just crusies so nicely with the twin motor and high gearing.  It's the same KLE I was talking about in the KLE500 thread in the bikes section of this forum.

Ah yes the Tengai.  Tristain bought this bike for under $1000 (by comparison a new 12GS is $24,000), and it is an indestructible motorcycle.  It is one tough bit of gear that goes like a rocket and will go anywhere.  When Tristain first got the bike he took it home and showed it to his brother.  His brother looked and the tengai decal and said "Ten Gay? It's fucking gay all right!" and the bike has been known as "the gay" ever since.  Some snaps for your consideration...

Offline Grootseun

« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2006, 01:41:01 pm »
I like the beer barrel at the back of the gay...refreshment on the move
 :occasion5:  :occasion5:

shark_za

« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2006, 04:13:25 pm »
Its got a doohickey! Its not indestructable.

Viva KLR Viva !

Offline Grootseun

« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2006, 04:21:46 pm »
ok i cant stand it anymore... WTF is a doohickey>????

(Grootseun braces for the following abuse.....)

Oppad

« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2006, 04:25:40 pm »
Quote from: "Grootseun"
ok i cant stand it anymore... WTF is a doohickey>????

(Grootseun braces for the following abuse.....)

From the KLR FAQ at http://www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html

Balancer chain tensioner ("Doohickey") prone to failure
The counterbalancer tensioner arm (clamped down by the small bolt on the bottom left engine cover) has a tendency to get brittle and break.  This has happened on bikes of all years and mileages, while many other bikes (of all years and mileages) are fine. If anything, later bikes seem to be more prone to failure, perhaps because of the change to solid balancer sprockets.   If this system fails and the balancer chain jumps, it can sieze the engine.  Eagle Machine  makes a machined adjuster arm (available from Arrowhead) that is vastly superior to the stock unit.  (Both units are of equal quality, although they offer different spring lengths.)  In addition, the adjuster bolt and spring were upgraded in 1996; earlier models can be upgraded by replacing the bolt and spring, and adding the washer.  The required parts are:  Idler spring, 92144-1860; 7mm O-ring, 670B1507; washer, 92200-1263; idler adjuster bolt, 92150-1923.  See the links section for a way to report balancer failures.