Some ride photos from around Townsville, Australia

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leon H

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
Hi guys,

I'm feeling pretty happy with myself as today I worked out how to post photos. I was going to write a couple of ride reports, but figured that seeing as though most people won't identify the places, that would be somewhat pointess. So instead, if you all don't mind, I thought I would just put in some photos of some places I often go to within 200km of where I live.

I hope you enjoy.

First up a popular Sunday spot, Paluma Dam, which is in the southernmost part of the Wet Tropics World Heritage Area. The dam is usually pretty empty and this photo is no exception. ABout 20km of twisty single lane bitumen range then another 30 or so of dirt. This photo was also Melissas (the Mrs) first ride on her new bike.
paluma.JPG

Another photo of the Melissa on the KLE
kle1.JPG

Another dam photo, this time the Burdekin Dam, the largest in QLD, about 200km south west of my place. When it is not flooding you can ride across the bottom of the dam and get down to Brisbane really quickly across about 1000km of dirt.
dam.JPG

Melissa riding across the dam wall.
dam2.JPG

Here's a shot of me at Blencoe Falls, in the Savanna country. This is a great spot to ride to as to get there you have to go up a very steep rainforest range for 60km or so. Good mix of sand, mud, gravel and water.
ul3.JPG

And there is some nice camping up there too. This photo shows Thomas, my mate from Norway, packing up his gear. It's usually a lot colder up here than down on the coast, hence the early morning fog in this photo.
camp1.JPG

Bear with me only a few more snaps.....

Directly west of where I live it is pretty dry, but it is still nice country with some awesome rivers when there is water. But usually it is very dry.

em8.JPG

runriver.JPG

And last but not least, I believe this is a photo of me a year or so ago, on the day I got my new bike, trying my hardest to try out for the BMW catalogue.
bmwman.JPG

So there you have some photos of my part of the world. This Sunday me and the boys are doing a 1000km of the Wet Tropics Area near Cairns (about 400km away), and thats where the good ranges and views are! I'll keep you posted.

Leon