Swartberg Pass: Oudtshoorn -> Prince Albert

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mango Jack

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Port Elizabeth, Eastern Cape, RSA - (Kabul, Afghan
Bike
AJS (all models)
The Mrs & I decided to ride fm Oudtshoorn to Prince Albert then tar rd back via Meiringspoort & DeRust to CG. What confounded me was there were no less than three (3) traffic caution signs indicating the the road/route over the swartberg pass Oudtshoorn to Prince Alfred was closed. We decided that we'd go as far as we could and then turn if need be. ablouf half way up the Southen climb we passed a couple of Landies traveling from PA towards CG. That gave us hope that the route would be open. well Up & Over we went with the pass indeed being open all the way into Prince Albert. LOVELY views, turns/curves too. road was still VERY slippery from recent rains exasabated by the fact that I had road tyres on instead of knobbly tyres.
My point is that There were no such road/route closures from the PA direction !!! I guess that the Oudtshoorn municipality / Roads dept have not yet got arround to remove the winter road closure signs dispite it being 27 Oct 10. I wonder how many wouldbe scenic drivers/riders have turned around unwittingly and misssed an awesome ride.

Attachments

• Prince Albert Pass 2011 Small (2).jpg
    Prince Albert Pass 2011 Small (2).jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 225
  • Prince Albert Pass 2011 Small (6).jpg
    Prince Albert Pass 2011 Small (6).jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 221
  • Prince Albert Pass 2011 Small (21).jpg
    Prince Albert Pass 2011 Small (21).jpg
    66 KB · Views: 224
  • Prince Albert Pass 2011 Small (24).jpg
    Prince Albert Pass 2011 Small (24).jpg