Dakar test ride - the conclusion to the confusion

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the_wes

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
Harley Davidson (all models)
Ok so as most of you know, I have been deliberating over which bike to buy once I've sold my V##pa. It started with the BMW F650GS, then I added to my list the Dakar, then the Honda Transalp, Suzuki V-Strom, and even the Triumph Scrambler.

I have compared specs until they come out of my ears - agonising over front wheel sizes, suspension, wind protection, single vs twin, off-roadability, on-roadability, packing space, and just about everything else you can think of.

You lot have been so patient with me over this time, and have been kind enough to share with me your experience, knowledge, wisdom, and opinion. Lot's of opinion.

As I took it all in, the one reoccurring theme I kept hearing over and over again was: stuff the specs, ride the bikes, follow your heart, get what makes your blood move and your heart pump.

Well, I decided to take your advice, and test drove the BMW F650GS Dakar this weekend.

End of confusion.

From the minute I hopped onto the bike I was smiling. Yes it's tall, but so am I. I could only just get my toes on the ground, but quickly developed a habit of leaning over to get one foot planted firmly on the ground as opposed to both.

John jr from Hamman had already fired up the engine while I was kitting up - what a sound - so by the time I mounted up I could already feel some vibrations through the pegs and seat. These quickly dissapeared (or maybe I just got used to them) as the ride progressed.

I pulled it out of Hamman - stalling it a few times, as I'm used to riding a fully automatic scooter (I soon got the hang of it though) - and set of on my merry way.

First I headed down past Teazers to Tygervally road - following it all the way to the end. Halfway down I got stuck next to a slow car with myself in a lane that was closing out. Drop back or push forward? What the heck, let's see what this baby can do. Twist the throttle, off we go. Smile grows. It's no sport bike, but the power delivery is smooth and it's responsive.

Got to the end of the road and headed left out to Conterman's Kloof. There are roadworks, and I had to resist the urge to swing onto the dirt side of the road. This bike just makes me want to do that, even though I have buggerall experience on dirt. In fact, every time I saw a dirt road leading off, I was tempted.

As soon as I had open road, I opened her up, and got her quickly to about 130 km/h, just to see what it felt like. It felt windy. Very windy - straight onto my chest. A touring screen is in order for longer trips.

Had a blast taking her through the twistys on Conterman's Kloof and back via Vissershok. Obviously I am used to a scooter - and the Dakar is a lot heavier than a scooter - but it handled its weight well and inspired confidence.

Smile growing by the minute. Some crazy laughter snuck in there as well.

Satisfied, I started heading back, stopping at home on the way to show the wife. She loves it. A lot. Her one concern when I spoke "Dakar" for the first time was how the heck she was going to get onto the back of it, so we did a little test run and it was a piece of cake.

Finally I headed back, still smiling. In fact, the smile returned while I was driving the cage home, and saw a Dakar rider on the road!

So yeah, what more to say? It's a done deal. I'm not going to bother testing the other bikes, I'm hooked. Now I just need to sell my V##pa and we're good to go :lol:

Thanks again for putting up with me guys, you all rock!

Tha happy couple:

dakjn7.jpg

dak2do7.jpg