Namibia Report - Chapter 1 - Sorry - No pics, at sea, limited band width.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LLTHB

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS Adventure
Ride report for a ride earlier this year.

I tried to get some help to post this, I am at sea and cannot use Photobucket, so, no photos, but maybe you enjoy the read.  Have a good day.

Ride Report
Trip: Durban to Namibia, Namibia to Durban via Caprivi Strip and Botswana
Bike: 2009 BMW 1200 GS Adventure – “Sylvia” or the “Pig” or the “Donkey”
Accessories: Handle bar raisers, Oil and light guards, Throttle locker – MOST IMPORTANT
Tyres: Metzler Tourance – 2.4 & 2.6 on tar – 1.8 & 1.8 on dirt
Clothing: Santiago Boots, BMW Rally Suit, Richa Summer Gloves
Safety: BMW System 6 Helmet, Leatt Brace, Noise Clipper Ear Plugs

The author of this article is new to Adventure Riding, but has owned bikes since the age of 14, now aged 46 so that makes 32 years of riding. Throw in a few races for Suzuki years back and quite a bit of off road riding, the author admits to being a newbie to this game, but not a total novice.

Certain rules need to be applied when one is a long ride like this, 7000ks planned, but you should always be flexible to what arises around you unless you are on a strict time budget. Rules such as doing your laundry every day, shaving when you can, trying to avoid breaking into a sweat, not riding at night, reducing speed on dirt or in bad riding areas should always be taken into account.  But, you can do what you want, you have the right to risk.  A fellow biker – Double Diamond – did a solo trip to Namibia last year and all said to him – You are mad to go on your own. I don’t agree – He would still be at home if he didn’t just do it alone. Yes, it is better to go in a small group, no argument – but you show me someone else who wanted to leave Durban when I did, has 3 weeks to ride a bike, wants to stay mainly in chalets with a few nights camping etc etc and certainly I will ride with him. Not many people are lucky enough to take such a long break, certainly I give thanks for all my blessings that allow me to undertake such a trip.

The Plan

Ride from Durban to Namibia via Kimberly, entering Namibia at Vioolsdrif, through the Fish River Canyon area, onto Sesriem and Sossusvlei. Cut across to Walvis Bay, Swakopmund, and on to Windhoek to service the bike. Head up to Ruacana and do all the old army bases, Ondangwa, Oshakati, Oshigambo, Oshivello, across the Caprivi Strip, enter Botswana at Muhembo, skirt the Okavango Delta, stop at Maun, across Botswana to Francistown and leave Botswana at the Martins Drift gate, home to Durban via the Eastern Transvaal.

Sunday 7th Feb 2009 – Durban to Golden Gate National Park – Camp site – R135 per person
Say goodbye to J and T, leave Durban at 12h00 on the dot, bound for Clarens. Wanted to miss all the tolls, but got lost in the Nottingham Road area and ended up on the Mooi River Toll, had to pay. Lost already and I still have 7000ks to go. Good hard dry  tar roads, potholes as usual in Natal – potholes just get your adrenalin up, your elbows out so you don’t drop thru your own backside and your heart racing because you know how bad it will look if you go down so close to home.

Golden Gate so good decided to camp the night to test all gear, see what didn’t work, what I had forgotten. Mug and bowl was all I was short, all else worked, just the tent is 20 years old and will leak on me when I need it to leak least!!! Camp sight is clean, cheap, good ablutions. All stop and look at the bike, make talk, all good fun. Will be even more fun when some lightie touches the hot exhaust.

Fairly high speed riding all the way – Sylvia seems happy on 5000 revs in 6th gear – equals about 140 ks per hour. Rode for about 4 hours, total distance was 450ks travelled. One mistake made today – BIG ONE – Overtook a truck at road works and left him with nowhere to go, pedestrian on road edge forced truck into the single lane leaving me almost in the traffic cones. Similar deal happened earlier this year in the Transkei with me overtaking a car as some goats wandered into the road. Always leave the other cars a place to go when you overtake.  Max temp was 45 degrees, kaaaked off a bit, but as soon as you gain a bit of altitude it does get drier and you feel cooler.

X Sylvia – Day 1

Camp Site – Golden Gate

Sun Set – Golden Gate

Monday 8th Feb 2009 – Golden Gate to Kimberly – Sundowner Lodge – R450 for the night, Incl Breakfast.

Good days travelling, did 540 Ks of which about 150 was on dirt. Good tar roads, out of Natal so few potholes. Hard dirt roads for the most part, but because of lots of rain plenty of muddied up areas that really get you paying attention to the “pucker factor” – nearly lost the front end twice as tires were too hard for this type of road. Simply to lazy to let the tyres down, weak discipline. Route was Golden Gate, Clarens, Ficksburg, Clocolan, Excelsior, Verkeerdevlei, Brandfort, Soutpan, Dealesville, Boshoff, Kimberly.

Sundowner Lodge in Kimberly is what Adventure Bikers want in a overnight stay – space in the room, two beds – so you can lay all your junk out, bike can park right outside door, easy to carry stuff into room. Beers in mini bar were R8 each, bargain. Top breakfast the next day, more than you expect! Did the big hole again, had beers at the fake bar, again.

No real mistakes besides the two close calls on the dirt, all else good. Speed about 140 Ks on the tar, strictly limited to 80 or less on dirt. I am riding alone and cannot afford to have a high speed “off” – just need to maintain this rule.

Photo – It is a big hole, a very big hole.

Photo – Sylvia on the Orange River

Tuesday  9th Feb 2009 – Kimberly to Augrabies Falls – The Falls Lodge – R475 for the night, Incl Breakfast – 5 star place this – Excellent place to stay.

Again just over 5 hours riding, about 500ks in total – all tar today, no dirt. Crossed the Vaal river, in flood, but then crossed the Orange – what a sight – the river is flowing big time – all sluice gates open on the Vaal Dam. Route was Kimberly to Griquatown, Groblershoop, Upington,

Huge irrigation farms, grapes seem to be the main crop – all fruit laid out in the sun to dry – makes you think you have a red wine hangover when you smell it. Fruity at first, the smell became almost offensive with time.

Augrabies Falls is awesome. The local name is Place of Great Noise – well the San got it right. The energy of the water flow is simply amazing. Photos don’t really do justice to the place. Well worth the effort to get here. Also saw – The new Audi, the new BMW and maybe the new Golf – all these cars come here for high speed testing – they are allowed to do 250ks per hour on the open road. They all covered in camo and because at the time I saw them I did not actually know what I was seeing, like a fool I took no photos. The roads are awesome, Sylvia got up to 185 or so, but with all the gear on her, this did not seem so clever so I backed off to 6000 rpm, about 160ks and she was happy with this.

Met a lekker couple in the pool, from Pretoria, asked them their names – wait for it – Kobus and AnneMarie. How about that for name play – 2 years exactly since our Kobus died. Food was good at the Falls Lodge, wine was R60 a bottle, had 2 to celebrate the price.

Grapes in the sun.

Entrance to Augrabies

Augrabies – Top of Falls

Augrabies – Main Falls

Augrabies – The Far Side

Wednesday  10th Feb 2009 – Augrabies Falls to Noordoewer Border Post – Felix Unite Lodge – R500 for the night, Incl Dinner & Breakfast –  Good place to stay.

Another high speed day, was overtaken by one of those test cars, never saw him again to get some photos. Fairly cool rising, max temp was 44degrees, but overcast so not so hot. When I went for a run in Kimberly people thought I was mad as it was 45 degrees, here when I skip and do gym they send the waiter with more beer. And see how the beer comes to your chalet – these guys understand how to make beer cold. Great rooms, overlooking the river, simple, clean, air con, space, park next to door.

Border crossing was easy, had to pay R115 tax for cross border use or some such rubbish – one way tax this, we don’t charge them.

Sylvia now has 7000ks on her, settling in nicely. Vibration is reducing as she runs in, but without the throttle locker that I use, I would not be able to do all this travelling. The throttle locker allows you to use your wrist to keep the throttle open whilst you let your fingers lay on top of your brake handle, no more numb wrist or numb fingers. Tomorrow is all dirt I think on the C13 to Rosh Pinah.

In total we have covered nearly 2000ks now.

High Speed Warning

Photo  – Just Nothing

Orange River – Namibia Side

Entering Namibia

These Okes understand beer!!!!

Felix Unite Camp Site – river in Flood.

Route today was Augrabies to Kakamas, Pofadder, Springbok, Vioolsdrif, Noordoewer. Very much high speed riding until the main road to Namibia on our side of the border, poor condition the last 100ks from  Springbok.

Met some fellow divers and riggers hiding here for tax days. Given me the latest info on the state of the floods here.